+ Reply + New Job/Topic
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Topic: NYSC: SHOULD IT BE SCRAPPED?

Re: NYSC: SHOULD IT BE SCRAPPED?

whats all the talk about going to new places u never would have gone too? look , i think it should be optional. If u have other things to do i dont expect the govt to force u to do it. Even the govt agrees that its a waste in some ways because they exempt people above 30 -in other words, they mean ure getting old, lets not waste more of your time living in a bush - ....... The NCCF helps people- thats alrite, but it should be optional and not compulsory. This way we will see how many people really would do it. Cheers

in my own opinion i think it should remain so that our children will come to meet it. with the hope that when power gets into our hands we will make things better. because when our fathers were there things was better than what we see now.guess what they are still in power and they proved to us that they cant change things. well the platform will soon come into our hands. then lets see if things will get better.
    my major concern is those they claim are not fit for service as par age.nothing is done for these set. why cant the government give them their own share of the "alawi" at lest it can start a small petty business.they are left alone stranded with job search and age bearier. when opportunity comes for them to apply for the jobs, they say "5 years experience". excuse me, where do u expect them to get that experience?.
    any way i know God will help us, but we need to do something that will move the heavens to act on our behalf.

i'm sorry to every one with NYSC in 1 way or the other- i mean ppl getting their daily bread from the scheme legally sha!

no contest...NYSC SHOULD BE SCRAPPED!!!
    pausing ones progress for a year in the name of 'mandatory' service to our nation?! we May never cease acting like animals...zombie...what is with 'mandatory'...if my fatherland has been kind to me, she does not need to mandate me to serve her. i'd simply look out for that hand which fed me... so NIGERIA... ARE U LISTENING??!! "take good care of your own and the stream shall never forget its source.. E SEUN!

I REPRESENT NAIJA TILL I THE GREEN LINE GO FLAT!!!!! and that's that!
    Life is in Phases...Men are in sizes

It is either the scheme is reviewed or let the FG scrap it. Cos the aim is already deafeated. The experience in camp is kul, but after camp, 80% of corp members are subjected to psycological,social or financial disaster. And it is a period of zeal elimination, cos most graduates dont serve in their field of study. U can imagine an engineer serving in a primary sch,after 4getin about the practical aspect of his profession for a year, what is he left with to present to companies if he is employed.[/font]

i think NYSC IS GOOD BUT THE GOVT.ARE MAKING THING DIFFICULT FOR PEOPLE,THE GOVT SHUD CHANGE IT BY PAYING EVERY GRADUATE WITH 400,000 TOUSAND TO START UP HIS LIFE.
    THAT IS WHAT I SUGGEST.
    SUNNY ODAH.
    Odah sunny a.

i'm not against the scrapping of NYSC. What am against is the punishment it is inflicting on the youth. It is a well- known fact that economic situations and condition has almost made it impossible for the nigeria child to graduate as at when due. This problem has led to the fact that almost 80% of the youth today falsify their age in order to meet up the service. Moreover, after graduating that late and serving, some "new generation companies" will not employ individuals that are above 26/27. My suggestion is that the body concern should allow room for all to serve and also curtail the age discrimination in the labour market. its good to serve our father's land(the national anthem). Thanks Bassey Moses
    Your blessings can can only be delayed and not denied.

In my point of view it should not be scraped b/cos it gives us the opportunity to make new friends and learn new tings e.g the Hiv/AIDS peer education training and lots more which gives u the opportunity to give back to the society a little of what it has given us, again one of the aim of the scheme is to bring national unity which i think it has achieved over the yrs b/cos their r most corp members who has ended in marriage today.But the authorities shld do something to help graduades after the program in the area of jobs b/cos as am talking to u now, ve completed my nysc program 4 the past two yrs yet no white colar job,still scrambling 2 suvive.

ACTUALLY IT IS A WASTE OF TIME THOUGH IT COMES WITH PLENTY FUN AND "MAYBE" EXPOSURE BUT ON THE WHOLE, ANYBODY CUOLD TRAVEL ANYWHERE IF HE/SHE IS INTERESTED IN INTERGRATION. THAT ONE YEAR COULD BE USED FOR MORE PRODUCTIVE VENTURE.

Quote Originally Posted by pvik
    the main reason for NYSC is serve our father land but are we really serving our father land wen u are paid peanuts as allowances?wen u hav to lobby with tousands to b posted to developed areas or else b posted to remote villages while the child of one senator or minister will b posted to the best establishments.wat is the essence of wasting one year precious time of our suffering graduates wen u dont hav jobs for them at the end of their service?For Gods sake one year is enough to do some thing meaningful.besides if u look at the money budgeted for this every year is quite alarming wen we dont see it reflect.why not pay every graduate that money in lump at the end of every one year to start sometin good.IT SHOULD BE SCRAPPED
    i quite i agreee with you itz one thing to no physics i tink it takes a gift and training to be able to teach it .....
    ON THE WINGS OF SIGNS AND WONDERS

everybody has the right to his or her own opinion but left to me nysc is an experience that's worthwhile and i think there is the need for a review to the whole scheme in order to improve on it.

LADIES & GENTLEMEN WHY NOT WE CAST A VOTE SO AS TO SEE THE HIGHEST POPULATION DAT SUPPORTS SCRAPPING AND THE ONES WHO DO NOT.
    WHAT WE SHOULD DO IS NOT WHETHER IT SHUD BE OFF OR NOT. WE SHUD THINK OF WHAT WE EACH CAN DO TO BETTER NIGERIA.WHAT IS YOUR CONTRIBUTION, WHAT IS MY OWN CONTRIBUTION? WHAT DO U ANTICIPATE TO HAPPEN IN THE NEXT 10YRS?
    HOW CAN U CREATE A JOB FOR URSELF WITH LITTLE CAPITAL? HOW CAN UR IDEAS PUT FOOD ON UR TABLE WITHOUT CHEATING UR NEIGHBOR? ETC.
    U MIGHT SAY I HAVE IDEAS AND NOTHING HAS HAPPENED, MAY BE I SHUD SAY U SHUD RE-PACKAGE IT AGAIN. LET HOPE OF MAKING IT FLOOD UR HEAD. LET WINNING START FROM WITHIN U.
    WE CAN MAKE IT IN NIGERIA WITHOUT RUNNING FOR SO CALLED GREEN PASTURE OUTSIDE THE NATION. IF U RUN FROM A FIGHT TODAY U WILL LIVE TO FIGHT IT ANOTHER DAY. LETS HOLD THE BULL BY D HORNS AND CHANGE. WHATEVER WE CAN CHANGE WHILE WE CAN.
    THANK YOU.
    SEE U AT THE TOP

if i had seen this b4 or during my service year i wud av quickly said scrap but now i don't think it shld be scrapped cos when u really serve (that is not working ur posting nd not be a runaway corper), u actually get to learn alot about a people u've always seen 4rm afar.
    i do think however dt it a very wasteful exercise nd if the govt is going to waste all the money it wastes on it nd d one year we also waste, they should at leaste ensure that it works well nd acheive all it's set objectives( bringing d nation together ect). it should be overhauled nd made more relevant to the present day nig( i mean not all us know or even care about the nig civil war that led 2 d creation of nysc in d first place

Quote Originally Posted by sweetkay
    The NYSC needs not be scrapped. Anyone advocating for it to be scrapped hasn't been there and can't know what he/ she is saying. The founding fathers had a goal when they established the scheme. It brings value orientation- through leadership and citizenship education and other educative/ training proggrammes that go on in NYSC camps- and prepares individuals for independent life after graduation, which universities don't provide.

It promotes unity among various ethnic, social, economic and cultural as well as religious backgrounds. It's good to go out there and meet people of various disciplines from different schools and see how you can cohabit, exchanging ideas and yet tolerating one another. I lived among muslims, and had no cause to criticise their religion. It was fun to really see them do their thing, have them come for Christian programmes and even go for theirs freely. Consider people having this experience and there will be a very slim chance of an inter-religious crisis. You needed to see us (from different disciplines and schools) discussing issues of national interest, sometimes arguing. It was fun I must say and I tell you people in our vicinity admired it. They will certainly desire to soon become Corps members like we were.

Going for the NYSC encourages individual contribution to community or national development. You find yourself working and bringing about positive changes in people's lives not because you're paid to do it; it was the orientation. I was involved in a number of different programmes geared towards development, teaching young people on HIV/AIDS, empowering young people and encouraging their education, serving in the Nigerian Christian Corpers' Fellowship. And even joining a professional body of managers. All these weren't easy, my joy when I look back at that one year of NYSC is that there were worthwhile achievements- I even got a State Award.

The experience in the NYSC may not be professional as most people have to become classroom teachers (even engineers and lawyers), even then it can't be a waste of time as a a lot of good lessons are learnt and the exposure gained is invaluable. It's not always rosy yet it makes us the men and women we should be because you leave and join a larger and tougher world and you are prepared for it because of the NYSC experience.
    You won't believe it, I'm out of NYSC yet I sparingly speak the language of the people- of the locality where I served- with my family at home. It's fun for me. I love the people so much; that's not to say they treated me so nicely, I can't even explain that love- come to think of the programmes I was involved in and the resources I used (on my own).

The NYSC should stay for others to experience and they won't regret it too.
    we understand your point brother, but really does it have to last a whole year. i mean if its only advantage is for us to mix with other cultures in the country (emphasis being on the north.... i dont hear any northerners talking about how they learnt to speak yoruba!!)... then cant they make it really short?!! me i think it's just cheap labour for Government year in year out, considering the peanuts we get paid for leaving our homes and travelling two sometimes three days on dangerous Nigerian roads only to be assigned as a resident teacher at a rural primary school (teaching a subject u didnt study at school) and getting allocated a mud hut as official quarters for the service year(how does living in a mud hut and drinking brown river water for a whole year make me a better person?). Not to mention travelling eight sometimes nine hours between local governments in ur state just to sign some stupid forms every month to assure them that u have not absconded from your "tastefully furnished" mud hut official quarters and ur =N=8,500 per month government job!!!
    call it what you like....... THE DISADVANTAGES OUTWEIGH THE ADVANTAGES. hence if Government continues to ignore revamping the scheme, then i think we should call it what it is for now..... MODERN SLAVERY!!! (and thats being polite).
    thank you.

+ Reply
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast