+ Reply + New Job/Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: SHOULD NYSC BE SCRAPPED?

SHOULD NYSC BE SCRAPPED?

Having undergo the so called one year programm I am yet to see its benefits.

Painfully I let go some job offers that came my way then to service in the most inhuman conditions and what has the nation given me after all that nothing.

Am of the opinion that NYSC has overlived is usefulness and should be scarped and the money given to the graduates to start something more lucrative what do you guys think?

Should NYSC be scrapped or not?
    I am a slow walker but I never walk backwards.

Re: SHOULD NYSC BE SCRAPPED?

@coolguy,

Well i share in your opinion that it should be scrapped.

But we have to look at it both ways, as there are some people that had bad experiences serving their fatherland, there are also some that are thanking the people that originated NYSC. because that one year has added meaning to their life.

To me there is nothing wrong with the program its just the way its being operated now, as in the program has a lot of flaws in it that 'we' are now doubting its usefulness.

I hope i made sense diplomatically?

Ciao
    Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. <br />Your character is what u really are, while ur reputation is merely what others think.

This issue has been in contention for over 10 years now. In my candid opinion, I think NYSC should be completely scrapped.

The primary purpose as arranged by the Gowon administration was for interaction amongst nigerian youths of diverse cultures and background and to serve their fatherland under a completely different cultural, social and economic environment. This purpose became defeated the moment people started influencing their posting for selfish reasons which is still on till date. Like florafab noted, there are people who have benefitted from the scheme; but the fact remains that the number of people who don't benefit from it far outweighs the number of those who benefits from it.

Generally speaking, it should be optional; that is, whoever wishes to partake in the scheme should indicate and vice versa.
    No One Will Know You Are Honest Unless You Give Out Samples!

@ Florafab

Of course you make sense diplomaticaaly

Yes at the intial stage-just like every other Nigeria venture- has a good purpose.however with time it has be tinted with corrpution, greed and what have you.

The vast majority of corp members are living in hell you need IM to even get the right place to work.Most of them have died for health reasons just because they want to serve and enhance their employment status.

For those who can pull the strings they don't waste their time servicing a country who did not know how you graduated in the first place. And at the end of the day we all collect our certificates. The certificate onlt restrict you getting certain jobs for goodness sake why isn't the other a round.

Never. NYSC with all its imperfections is a great opportunity for Nigerians to discover their country.
    I am the apple of God&#039;s eye.

Quote Originally Posted by highchief
    Never. NYSC with all its imperfections is a great opportunity for Nigerians to discover their country.
    Of what use will discovery be if it can not put food on the table or positively affect the lives of the populace?
    No One Will Know You Are Honest Unless You Give Out Samples!

@ Highchief

Which is better going for NYSC or disbursing the millions of naira expanded on the kagoroo project into the lives of a million jobless youths?

Well, in my own opinion, I would say that NYSC is out-living its usefulness. For its being scrapped however, time shall tell. The issue is that Nigeria today can't even contain the program anymore. According to the former DG, it started with only about 200 participants. Today,we have an inumerable no of graduate participants. The management is becoming more and more difficult. I feel it would get to a point where the govt would reason aright. What we need in Nigeria is a program that would increase production and the income per capita. Then the society would be able to accomodate the troops of graduates it marshals out each year.
    God&#039;s Kind of Love

......or what do you feel?
    God&#039;s Kind of Love

@Agapeiyke

Good talk my only diagreement been the fact that NYSC has clearly outlived it usefulness and is now a pain for graduates.

Do you know that those uniform cost the sum of 75k per person.My question while not use this sum for something more reasonable.

everyone's contribution to this topic is a fxn of your experience during your service year.i'm still a corps member,though i'm only managing where i'm serving in lagos,even though i missed opportunities that would have made me hammer,i belief its a good way to experience life in nigeria after school,mostly for those who dont know the economic situation and degree of poverty in the country.......but i hear gists from my folks around the country,its not encouraging.
    we just need to plead to the government for a restructuring and review of its policies and management.

In my own candid opinion, NYSC should not be scrapped!
    But the objectives of NYSC should be looked into to meet up with the present demand of Nigeria as a nation. It should be done such that corp members are trained in their respective area of disciplines practically after they had gone through the rigour of theories while in school. For instance, Nigeria still import labour in the area of engineering but we have whole lot of Nigerians that have studied and some are still studying engineering, the nation can take it upon herself to train such people and then provide room for them to operate. Until all these are done, the so called seven point agenda of this administration will definitely fail.
    My desire is to take the bull by its horns in every endeavour of my life.

@ Mcdonstep

My own opiniion is not based on experince alone but on reality.

If you have undergo the programm you will see that the disadvantages far outway the merits of the programm. In business any venture whose dismerits outwiegh the merits is not worth it. Period

Should I go into details?

Do you know that most female corp memebers are being abuse sexually in the name of posting?

What of corp members that is been posted to areas not suitable for their living for example someone posted to the creeks that cannot swin you expect me to risk my life a whole year for a kagaroo scheme.

What of corp members left in the jungle cut out from family members and loved ones without food and you call this experince.

How many of the corp members have good experinces? Neligenable?

To worsen things the children of the high and mighty enjoy theirselves while those of the poor perished in the scheme abi.

And after these experinces you come to the unemployment market so what use is it?

+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast