+ Reply + New Job/Topic
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Topic: NYSC: SHOULD IT BE SCRAPPED?

Re: NYSC: SHOULD IT BE SCRAPPED?

The NYSC needs not be scrapped. Anyone advocating for it to be scrapped hasn't been there and can't know what he/ she is saying. The founding fathers had a goal when they established the scheme. It brings value orientation- through leadership and citizenship education and other educative/ training proggrammes that go on in NYSC camps- and prepares individuals for independent life after graduation, which universities don't provide.

It promotes unity among various ethnic, social, economic and cultural as well as religious backgrounds. It's good to go out there and meet people of various disciplines from different schools and see how you can cohabit, exchanging ideas and yet tolerating one another. I lived among muslims, and had no cause to criticise their religion. It was fun to really see them do their thing, have them come for Christian programmes and even go for theirs freely. Consider people having this experience and there will be a very slim chance of an inter-religious crisis. You needed to see us (from different disciplines and schools) discussing issues of national interest, sometimes arguing. It was fun I must say and I tell you people in our vicinity admired it. They will certainly desire to soon become Corps members like we were.

Going for the NYSC encourages individual contribution to community or national development. You find yourself working and bringing about positive changes in people's lives not because you're paid to do it; it was the orientation. I was involved in a number of different programmes geared towards development, teaching young people on HIV/AIDS, empowering young people and encouraging their education, serving in the Nigerian Christian Corpers' Fellowship. And even joining a professional body of managers. All these weren't easy, my joy when I look back at that one year of NYSC is that there were worthwhile achievements- I even got a State Award.

The experience in the NYSC may not be professional as most people have to become classroom teachers (even engineers and lawyers), even then it can't be a waste of time as a a lot of good lessons are learnt and the exposure gained is invaluable. It's not always rosy yet it makes us the men and women we should be because you leave and join a larger and tougher world and you are prepared for it because of the NYSC experience.
    You won't believe it, I'm out of NYSC yet I sparingly speak the language of the people- of the locality where I served- with my family at home. It's fun for me. I love the people so much; that's not to say they treated me so nicely, I can't even explain that love- come to think of the programmes I was involved in and the resources I used (on my own).

The NYSC should stay for others to experience and they won't regret it too.

All U guys saying NYSC shouldnt be scraped are just saying so because you want to waste a year doing nothing and employers always require it for recruitment. The idea of creating it is not bad but it wont last because when hopefully Nigeria develops and jobs are everywhere, you wont waste that year doing nothing appreciable to your life.
    Nigerian government spends about >400k on each corper and now that its 3 or 4 batches, imagine billions they waste which is needed in other sectors of the economy. NYSC IS A WASTE OF TIME GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, even based on the fact that NYSC has its shortcomings, I still believe, it should not be scrapped.

The fact remains that it cannot just favour everybody. Just as some are complaining that it is really a waste of time, some others believe that it is has really been profiting. I have friends who have gotten their present job, partner and even political appointments fron NYSC.

All programmes cannot favour all. I do not want to believe that it is a waste of money. There are a whole lot of people from very poor background that were able to start life from the little money they were able to save at the end of the programme.

Also, it has really been a major employment avenue for graduates who can take up posts like the Local Government Inspectors, Zonal Inspectors and even the senior officers. It has also been able to bring together graduates from all works of life to share ideas together. Some of our present commisioners and ministers were able to get these posts because they were deployed to the same state with the present executive officer during their service year.

So, NYSC should not be scrapped. I only think the span of the programme should be reduced to about 6 months. This is to avoid the clashes of batches that is really going on at present. Doing these, there can be a well planned programme.
    He that overcomes shall wear the crown of life.

well i will say that the scheme shd be reviewed and well packager for purpose afterall some aint serving and are allocated certificate.i think the scheme shd be 3wks of interaction btw vatious ethnic grps.at the end the allowance 4 a yr shd be paid alongside issuance of the certificate.this help in establishing small biz n search 4 ur drm work.12*9500=114000.guy this aint small,we can do a joint venture as d case may be.rem how we suffered to enter sch n get out.

well the scheme is a good one and shld not b scrapped the northerner are 1daful people they are so generous i had a 1daful time during my service year,was it the very good accomadation i was given,monthly pocket money from my host and all other things thescheme shld nt b scrapped!

well as for me i thjink the idea is great wat do u think?

I am serving presently and i think that despite the fact that the service has its faults its does have its own strength. its just needs better managers who understand the vision.

Re: NYSC: SHOULD IT BE SCRAPED?

Apart from bringing pple of diverse religion and culture together,it really is a waste of time.Cos how would a practical engineer be posted to a sch to teach whereas there are grads that studied edu who r supposed to be in a beta position to teach.am quoting from xperience

the main reason for NYSC is serve our father land but are we really serving our father land wen u are paid peanuts as allowances?wen u hav to lobby with tousands to b posted to developed areas or else b posted to remote villages while the child of one senator or minister will b posted to the best establishments.wat is the essence of wasting one year precious time of our suffering graduates wen u dont hav jobs for them at the end of their service?For Gods sake one year is enough to do some thing meaningful.besides if u look at the money budgeted for this every year is quite alarming wen we dont see it reflect.why not pay every graduate that money in lump at the end of every one year to start sometin good.IT SHOULD BE SCRAPPED
    vik

May i clearly state that nysc does not bring any integration.while in camp,during inter platoon competitions,there were issues on what tribe's song or drama be presented and u still had pple identifying with their various tribes.d kits were of the lowest grade,employers enjoying cheap labour paying graduates as low as 5k or nothing at all,d monthly allowee sef no reach anything.Please,i support the motion that NYSC be scrapped.

Saying NYSC shuld be scrapped because its not functioning as it ought to is Like saying Nigeria should be scrapped as a country because things are not working the way they should.

Every one knows that the whole system in the country, as a matter of fact, need complete over hauling. Why then do we expect NYSC to be different? The body is just a microcosm of the nation called Nigeria and a such needed to be given attention rather than being scrapped.

I participated in the scheme last year and finished serving in February this year in Bauchi State. A lot of wrong notions about the north has been properly corrected in me and Im seeing a better Nigeria as a country.

Being parrt of NCCF is another colour added to my life as it afforded me the opportunity to meet people I could not have met and got to places I probably would not have been.

For Instance, if scrapped what would be the lot of the Notherners with few teachers in their schools? Never view it as cheap labour at all, but an avenue to give back to a system that has paid at least a dime to your studies.

It depends on the side of the coin you are viewing from.NYSC should not be scrapped but be properly re-positioned as it ought to be
    G

pls dont let us forget the reason why this NYSC is bin established,and besides many pple after graduating has no hope if not 4 d scheme.to some pple it is a bitter experience while to some a stepping stone to dia success

NYSC should have been scrapped long ago cos the whole idea is just lost, but i tell you, there are many rich people looting from the scheme. this ranges from Z.I's that collect bribes to the contractors of NYSC. Imagine that scrappy kit costs over N70,000 per corps member. Why no govt re-direct that money they are wasting and mobilize students on graduation to become enterpreneurs rather than roam the streets with brown envelopes of CVs and constantly browsing naijahotjobs.com in the name of securing a job

+ Reply
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast