+ Reply + New Job/Topic
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920
Like Tree21Likes

Topic: Nigerian graduates enough is enough it is unbearable!!

Re: Nigerian graduates enough is enough it is unbearable!!

@e-diamond, in as much as i agree wit u 2 a reasonable extent, i‘ll also lyk 2 remind u dat stagin a youthful protest goes beyond givin GEJ ur cv, its simply 2 implore d govt to create d enablin environment for employment to thrive, wich ofcos is not beyond dier capability. Discoverin ur potentials is one thing but d enablin environs for it to thrive is anoda nd very vital. Enuf of d exchange of words cos it‘ll all lead to nufin but 2 bring d whole idea 2 a brickwall. D way forward, plsss...

Guy will realy need to act fast on dis matter enough is enough.

It is a fact that government can not employ all of us. What we need is a private sector driven economy. The role of the government should be provision of infrastructure, regulation e.t.c and not venturing into business which will fail due to endemic corruption. Other factors that lead us to where we are today apart from corruption and bad leadership include:
    1. Lack of true federalism. We run a unitary system disguised as federalism.
    2. Education without purpose. We continue to graduate theorists instead of pragmatists. A developing country like ours should lay more emphasis on technical and vocational education. We need to train more craftsmen, technicians and technologists. Instead we train scientists, who don't contribute to existing scientific knowledge, in large numbers! To what extent have we applied existing scientific knowledge? We also train a lot of engineers who can't design and churn out Administrators and Managers in large numbers instead of enterpreneurs. Unless we overhaul our educational system, things will only get worse.
    3. The pandemic nature of our materialism. We believe money is everything and it's only the rich that deserves respect. This has affected our psyche, choice of what to do with our lives and almost everything about us.
    4. Tribalism and religious bigotry.
    5. Other factors too numerous to list. It is not a surprise that we are where we are today. We 'worked hard' for it.

Now what's the way forward based on the aim of the person who opened this thread:
    We need to protest but peacefully.
    Our protest should go with a demand which the government must meet urgently. Personally, I think what we need to demand in our protest is not that the government should employ all of us or they should create enabling enviroment(they are already doing that). Our demand should be the immediate passage of 'SOCIAL SECURITY AND WELFARE BILL' and a subsequent protest will follow for its implementation after passage. The bill should oblige government to pay unemployment benefits to those who are qualified and willing to work but can't find job. If passed and implemented, it will make the government more responsible in their efforts in fighting unemployment. If you have to pay me wether I'm working or not, you will ensure I work before I earn! NLC did it for minimum wage, we can also do it. With this kind of demand, we'll get support easily from NGO's and human right groups. What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by sirkay74 View Post
    It is a fact that government can not employ all of us. What we need is a private sector driven economy. The role of the government should be provision of infrastructure, regulation e.t.c and not venturing into business which will fail due to endemic corruption. Other factors that lead us to where we are today apart from corruption and bad leadership include:
    1. Lack of true federalism. We run a unitary system disguised as federalism.
    2. Education without purpose. We continue to graduate theorists instead of pragmatists. A developing country like ours should lay more emphasis on technical and vocational education. We need to train more craftsmen, technicians and technologists. Instead we train scientists, who don't contribute to existing scientific knowledge, in large numbers! To what extent have we applied existing scientific knowledge? We also train a lot of engineers who can't design and churn out Administrators and Managers in large numbers instead of enterpreneurs. Unless we overhaul our educational system, things will only get worse.
    3. The pandemic nature of our materialism. We believe money is everything and it's only the rich that deserves respect. This has affected our psyche, choice of what to do with our lives and almost everything about us.
    4. Tribalism and religious bigotry.
    5. Other factors too numerous to list. It is not a surprise that we are where we are today. We 'worked hard' for it.

Now what's the way forward based on the aim of the person who opened this thread:
    We need to protest but peacefully.
    Our protest should go with a demand which the government must meet urgently. Personally, I think what we need to demand in our protest is not that the government should employ all of us or they should create enabling enviroment(they are already doing that). Our demand should be the immediate passage of 'SOCIAL SECURITY AND WELFARE BILL' and a subsequent protest will follow for its implementation after passage. The bill should oblige government to pay unemployment benefits to those who are qualified and willing to work but can't find job. If passed and implemented, it will make the government more responsible in their efforts in fighting unemployment. If you have to pay me wether I'm working or not, you will ensure I work before I earn! NLC did it for minimum wage, we can also do it. With this kind of demand, we'll get support easily from NGO's and human right groups. What do you think?

@sirkay74...u said it all.

The quest for better living conditions and equal opportunities for Nigeria graduates.., is that too much to ask for? its a pity

Quote Originally Posted by rikkyjnr View Post
    @e-diamond, in as much as i agree wit u 2 a reasonable extent, i‘ll also lyk 2 remind u dat stagin a youthful protest goes beyond givin GEJ ur cv, its simply 2 implore d govt to create d enablin environment for employment to thrive, wich ofcos is not beyond dier capability. Discoverin ur potentials is one thing but d enablin environs for it to thrive is anoda nd very vital. Enuf of d exchange of words cos it‘ll all lead to nufin but 2 bring d whole idea 2 a brickwall. D way forward, plsss...
    Hey rikkyjnr, I feel you. I only wish the originator of the thread could say it passionately the way you have said it. Read through all his comments (none excluded) you will agree with me that they don't sound like yours. While yours is passionately appealing, his temperamentally vitreolics, so militants on the thread. i didn't fail to commend him for rising to the fore against unemployment but the manner of it was what I faulted.
    And let it also be noted that there is nothing he would say that Nigerians have not said. The process of change is gradual (many of us hate that word), but it is the truth. I do not know of any enabling environment that we need now that we have not cried out for before now. does it really mean thatif we don't see the enabling environment we will not do anything for ourselves. I guess not. That would have been disastrously parochial. If you are waiting for things to get better before launching into limelight, I perceive you'll have to wait forever. Things don't get better, people do. For things to get better, you must first get better. and getting better, you should know your stuff. One BIG LOVE. cheers!!

+ Reply
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920