+ Reply + New Job/Topic
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Very Important for Nigerian Graduates

Very Important for Nigerian Graduates

I am not an English language teacher, but it is always very painful to me whenever I visit this website and see how bad some Nigerian graduates have turned the English language. They now have their own abbreviated spellings and some other crap. Imagine someone spelt expect as xpect, come as , and so on. What was difficult in putting the letter 'e' in the beginning of the spelling? Is it now fashionable to write the English language in a crappy manner? Is that what is now reigning in Nigeria? Let me give you guys a true gist. Some years ago when I was still in Nigeria, a friend of mine whose brother was one of the top managers at Nestle marked some essay scripts of some graduates who applied to Nestle. Could you guys imagine that a university graduate, with a second class x, wrote the essay as if she wrote a text message to her friend with some awful abbreviations? It was that bad, guys. This was somebody looking for a job where she would get 210+ per month. The thing really peeved my friend's brother who immediately threw her essay script, CV and everything document that belongs to her into the trash bin. This same thing has been happening to droves of Nigerian graduates, but they are not aware. There is something that no one can gainsay here, and it is that whatever you do all the time becomes a part and parcel of you, whether the thing is good or bad. So, my humble counsel is that we should all write appropriately whenever we send any post on this forum. In so doing, we will improve our writing skills. Those of you who are members of test magic forum know what I am talking about. Those guys there write as best they could and I 'always and always' learn from them, albeit they make minor errors that usually come from those guys who did not study in the English language like you.

In conclusion, I would like to come to Nijahotjobs forum and learn from my Nija brothers, not to come and be disappointed or worst of all worsen my ability that I am just developing in the English language.

Comments from the astute guys in the house will be very much appreciated.

WOI
    Universiteit Van Stellenbosch.

Re: Very Important for Nigerian Graduates

I'll save my comments for letter, but first of ALL, could u clarify the comment "guys who did not study in the English language like you." where you refers to??

Thanks for your terse comment, my man. However, I seem not to understand your statement: where you refers to. Are you asking about the guys I referred to in my last post or what? Please expatiate. Thanks again.

Anyway, I have said the best I could say. Everything else depends on those who really want to improve. By the way, any Nigerian graduate who studied finance, economics, mathematics, physics, actuarial science or engineering, who made a good 2:1 and is interested in graduate studies in financial engineering, mathematical finance or quantitative economics should please contact me via email. I have some important information that will be useful from the 30th of September this year. I don't need your cash, please. Just let me know if you are interested in graduate studies and I could help you out. I am just finishing my thesis and I believe I will be very selfish if I don't say some things that helped me get quality education on a platter of gold outside our beloved country. At least, if there is no job, one must still go to school. My email is [email protected].

More comments with regard to my first post are still expected, but only from the refined guys.

Quote Originally Posted by god_speed
    I'll save my comments for letter, but first of ALL, could u clarify the comment "guys who did not study in the English language like you." where you refers to??
    Yeah guy, I just saw your point now now now. Okay, I meant guys who were not as privileged to study in the English language as we were privileged and are still privileged in Nigeria. Hope this explanation clears the air...

Hey mate! You write typically like someone who have not been outside the shores of your state or country.. I did my schooling in UK with most of my classmates & lecturers from around the world & could not even spell common words. Does that mean they're uninformed? or illiterate or not well educated?..You have to understand that English is not our first language & because its constantly been changed by the Oxford scholars,it means we can never be abreast with it.Please be guided in your reasoning as a typical write up or say abbreviation can not depict how educated or capable one would be in formal employment.Even here in Uk, Nigerians speak english better that the english people themselves so i have no idea what is bothering you...
    JesseJames

Quote Originally Posted by ighoeve
    More comments with regard to my first post are still expected, but only from the refined guys.
    By this statement, do you mean only people who share your thoughts can reply? Well, sorry if I don't precisely fit into that description. Ighoeve, this is an 'informal' forum where facts and ideas are shared with particular regards to jobs in Nigeria- emphasis on 'informal'. No CVs are composed nor are applications collected in this forum. We only share helpful information. Hence, the most essential thing here is that the message is passed. If you question grammatical constructions, fine, but please, short spelling forms and pidgin are totally accommodated here. Abbreviations are not crap... just a faster way to say things. There is a difference between communicating with my friends and writing a job application. Here, I don't really care about punctuations and spellings, provided they are just good enough to get the message across.
    Your point is certainly noted but don't expect naijahotjobs to metamorphose into some highfalutin language forum for the 'refined and elite' only. It is simple and totally works that way. If you have something helpful, feel free to drop it in flawless English. I'm sure we'll figure out the meaning somehow.
    Aal izz well...

Quote Originally Posted by Lionleo
    By this statement, do you mean only people who share your thoughts can reply? Well, sorry if I don't precisely fit into that description. Ighoeve, this is an 'informal' forum where facts and ideas are shared with particular regards to jobs in Nigeria- emphasis on 'informal'. No CVs are composed nor are applications collected in this forum. We only share helpful information. Hence, the most essential thing here is that the message is passed. If you question grammatical constructions, fine, but please, short spelling forms and pidgin are totally accommodated here. Abbreviations are not crap... just a faster way to say things. There is a difference between communicating with my friends and writing a job application. Here, I don't really care about punctuations and spellings, provided they are just good enough to get the message across.
    Your point is certainly noted but don't expect naijahotjobs to metamorphose into some highfalutin language forum for the 'refined and elite' only. It is simple and totally works that way. If you have something helpful, feel free to drop it in flawless English. I'm sure we'll figure out the meaning somehow.

Yeah, correct man, I really feel you. Thanks for your nice comment. It shows how refined you are; moreover, I was initially referring to people like you to reply to my post. I am also a native speaker of nija pidgin english. Some of una no speak pidgin pass me at all. . If a person is speaking pidgin, then let him/her speak pidgin. Really, it just peeves me when I see words that should be spelt correctly, but are spelt wrongly. I am not talking about typos, just a deliberate act of wrongly spelling a word. You see my point. Again, thanks for you comment. Are you in the UK currently?

Ok... I laughed! Not much, just a teeny-weeny bit. I'm in Lagos (heard of the place? ) It's not really a location thingy. You can still speak well right here. I've got to say thanks though, for the implicit compliment. And you are welcome.
    Aal izz well...

Quote Originally Posted by jessejames
    Hey mate! You write typically like someone who have not been outside the shores of your state or country.. I did my schooling in UK with most of my classmates & lecturers from around the world & could not even spell common words. Does that mean they're uninformed? or illiterate or not well educated?..You have to understand that English is not our first language & because its constantly been changed by the Oxford scholars,it means we can never be abreast with it.Please be guided in your reasoning as a typical write up or say abbreviation can not depict how educated or capable one would be in formal employment.Even here in Uk, Nigerians speak english better that the english people themselves so i have no idea what is bothering you...
    ike someone 'who have' not been

'its' constantly been changed

You see what I mean. I have always said it, some schools in the UK are not good enough. Schools in Nigeria are much, much better. Yet, people go and spend all of their money to study there. Na them sabi sha.

GRAMMAR when we r lukin for jobs, una go kill person wil laf 4 dis forum

My Ighoeve guy dey yan pidgin small by small... natin do u sha! @ Aiken, all join sha, finally.
    Aal izz well...

Thanks to all patriotic naija guys who love what we do here. You've read all you need to read.
    You are against the use of abbreviations ,yet you did use such in your essay. e.g 210+ , CV.
    Points you need to note:
    The standard of living here isn't stable nor is it equal. Therefore not everyone has enough cash to go online and spend all in posting a job with fabulous ENGLISH! Therefore abbreviating a word remains the best form of communication, in forum's like this. After-all communication is sending encoded massages' or am i rung?
    dude, u still try sha. But me i like d pidgin broken abeg...
    Cheers
    N

+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast