+ Reply + New Job/Topic
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Topic: THE FATE OF NIGERIAN STUDENTS ABROAD

Re: THE FATE OF NIGERIAN STUDENTS ABROAD

I actually wish people will understand, but they can't because I didn't either till I got here for my MBA. I had a good job in an oil service company in PH but decided to resign and come to the UK for my MBA too, it sounded so mad an idea to many of my friends and relatives that I wanted to leave that my enviable job, that I had to lie to many people I'm on study leave.

Now the course is over but believe me my people, things are not looking up yet in the UK. Only the UK economy is still in recession amongst the developed economies as most of them have started picking up. And the "British Job For British People" nonesense they've just started is not helping we the foreigners who pay three times what their citizens pay in fees.

I have not given up anyway, I am currently processing my post study work permit, but much more than I apply for jobs here, I apply for jobs in Nigeria & Ghana. Hopefully, by the middle of next year, UK economy would have started picking up.

One GREAT advise I have for fresh graduates however is that, spending so much on masters abroad does not seriously increase your chances of getting a job either abroad or in Nigeria. Here in the UK particularly, they value experience more than certificates, and that's why most of their citizens don't have any certificates, yet are made bosses over we that have studied so much. Even in Nigeria, if you have a foreign masters and apply for or work without any work experience, you should still be considering an entry level in most cases, though, the masters might give you an edge after some years of experience. I have a friend who has two masters here in the UK already but no single work experience, she is frustrated already and her father has given up on her after spending more than £40k on her masters and nothing is forth coming from it.

The bottom line of my epistle is, if you are a fresh graduate, please, a foreign masters is not your first option, you sgould probably use the money for something else, and if you have a good job for now, think twice before quitting it for the UK because things are not picking up yet in the UK and their citizens come first, especially those that were laid off during this recession, and they are about 2.5 million already. So, consider postponing your coming to the UK till sometime in the future when it becomes truly the so-called "greener pasture" again.

Best of lucks and lots of love to you all!!!

TRU TALK MY BROTHERS!! I JUST GRAD AND GOT A JOB IN THE OIL AND GAS ENGINEERING DESIGN SECTOR!! A FEW FRIENDS OF MINE HAVE BEEN ADVISING ME TO DO A MASTERS IMMEDIATELY DUE TO MY OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE AS AN UNDER-G BUT IV STUDIED THE CLIMATE AND FOUND OUT ITS NOT THE RIGHT TIME.. UR RESPONSES HAS, AS WELL, DRIVEN HOME MY FEARS... THANKS BROTHERS!!
    Am a little bit off the chain,call me insane,but the fact remains, that am a.....

@Obogho & Red devil,

I appreciate the comments that you both has made, many people actually thought i was discouraging people fro going for masters when i initiated this thread never knowing that i am helping them realise the present business circumstances and the need to think properly before making such a decision...

Once more, i hope that things look up for you too and that u get something good soon enough....

Quote Originally Posted by slimboi
    You may want to re-read my posts before concluding the fact that am trying to corrupt the minds of people that want to travel abroad and i say this for the umpteenth time, i am not in any way discouraging anyone that wants to travel abroad for masters , just making them realize that it is not an automatic visa to employment as many people think..
    Slimboi,I must say that your post did not pass postivity to the minds of young Nigerians out there.Not everything is meant to be said publicly.UK certificates still remain more respected than Nigerian certificate! Infact,there are alot of things to be said....................... ciao

@Bumsy2k3, with you lat comment "Slimboi,I must say that your post did not pass postivity to the minds of young Nigerians out there.Not everything is meant to be said publicly" I will say u are one of those Nigerians that are not ready for a change. Things like this should be said publicly so that we can all learn.

As i have said people with the experience of school n living in these countries should place comments so we can all learn. Slimboi is passing positivity n making the young gun realise wats inportant and when.

u guys are very correct in your postings,indeed everybody has different destinies.but the fact remains that travelling abroad for ur masters does automatically confer a special privilege,u still have to hustle like the rest.i was privileged to get to the very last stage of the (guinness)diageo early career program for procurement and of the last 9 standing,we had 2 people with uk masters.it did not confer any special status on them and they would earn the same thing with their naija brothers if they are employed.though i did not get the job again,it opened my eyes to the fact that most times when the abroad masters guy is employed as a fresher without much experience,which they are most times,there salary is not different from their local nigerian counterparts,so brothers wise up,use that money to either start a biz,or go to the prestigious lagos businees school for ur masters.but all in all,just believe in God,success really comes from above not abroad.

Quote Originally Posted by chiboyo
    u guys are very correct in your postings,indeed everybody has different destinies.but the fact remains that travelling abroad for ur masters does automatically confer a special privilege,u still have to hustle like the rest.i was privileged to get to the very last stage of the (guinness)diageo early career program for procurement and of the last 9 standing,we had 2 people with uk masters.it did not confer any special status on them and they would earn the same thing with their naija brothers if they are employed.though i did not get the job again,it opened my eyes to the fact that most times when the abroad masters guy is employed as a fresher without much experience,which they are most times,there salary is not different from their local nigerian counterparts,so brothers wise up,use that money to either start a biz,or go to the prestigious lagos businees school for ur masters.but all in all,just believe in God,success really comes from above not abroad.
    Well said brother.......i couldn't agree more

tanx house,this is quite enlightening.actually longin 2 travel abroad for 4da studies.perhaps'll tink twice since i hv sth doing,though d pay is not much.

Well after readin You article. i didnt want to respond but i find it hard to keep it to myself.
    The question is geting a job is not the matter of certificate is what u got in your brain; that is what u can offer.
    Using Myself for example. i got a job as civil engineer in one nigeria consulting a year before finish my undergradute education while thousands of graduate are still looking for job

This is highly enlightening!.our fresh graduates need to no more of what's happening over there cos we re some wat filled with illusions of greatness if only we can earn a foreign degree.

Well,while i respect an individual's right to freedom of expression,i also find it so annoying,wicked and a complete indication of ignorance for someone to have started this thread ab-initio.
    The discussion here is an absolute nonsense.I reckon the posters intention is to further encourage and confirm the fears of people who live the bloody days of their miserable life listening to what others got to say.
    For chrissake,Nigeria has been in recession since early 90's yet folks find good jobs while others dont..True,Uk is in a recession but plssssssss,be informed that folks still find and get correct jobs.England is a fully developed economy,not everyone will fit into the system.A good number of Nigerians cant even construct a complete statement.
    Unemployment is everywhere in the world and i find it so disgusting to find a few educated fools misleading the public here.for those advising people not to come to UK,pls answer the following questions honestly and post your reply

1. Has your experience in UK improved your level of exposure?
    2. Did you honestly find schooling here a total waste of time?
    3. You and I know deeply the reward prospects in the future..Yes or No5. Is every Nigerian in the UK jobless or doing menial jobs as alleged here?what proportion even and sincerely let people at home know how jobs are regulated here..Inform them a properly trained security guy earns more than most bankers in Nigeria.
    6. Inform them that in UK,even without an office job,you get other jobs to keep you busy and still live a normal life..Send money home and save.

For those having a second thought,its your life and choice but be informed that what you think is a well paying job will
    4. Did you experience any improvement in your communication skills?
    later be not enough for you and your family(mean wife and kids)and to make it pathetic,it strands you if unluckily you loose your job.Coming to UK is a lifetime investment and sacrifice which is beyond measure..You cant place a measurement on the advantage.Yes,because here is developed,you cant fit into the system as we imagine but with time and good adaptable skills,everything will be ok.Even if at anytime you decide to go back home,you will never be the same person again unless you only came here and never mixed with other races.

Bottom Line,the proprietor of companies you all are seeking to work with made an investment at some point with the risk of either failing or otherwise.If you dont live your comfort zone to risk a better future,others will later come to you,catch up with you and overtake in the shortest period of time.

Up to you to decide your future not listening to some freaking loosers!

Its alaming the in which nigerian both adult and tenagers make stupid decision about there future all in the name of a better life and more money, and at the end of the day, it become a regretable event. i think what we can do (naija pals) is to keep talking about what is happennig in the outside world

Well,while i respect an individual's right to freedom of expression,i also find it so annoying,wicked and a complete indication of ignorance for someone to have started this thread ab-initio.
    The discussion here is an absolute nonsense.I reckon the posters intention is to further encourage and confirm the fears of people who live the bloody days of their miserable life listening to what others got to say.
    For chrissake,Nigeria has been in recession since early 90's yet folks find good jobs while others dont..True,Uk is in a recession but plssssssss,be informed that folks still find and get correct jobs.England is a fully developed economy,not everyone will fit into the system.A good number of Nigerians cant even construct a complete statement.
    Unemployment is everywhere in the world and i find it so disgusting to find a few educated fools misleading the public here.for those advising people not to come to UK,pls answer the following questions honestly and post your reply

1. Has your experience in UK improved your level of exposure?
    2. Did you honestly find schooling here a total waste of time?
    3. You and I know deeply the reward prospects in the future..Yes or No
    4. Did you experience any improvement in your communication skills?
    5. Is every Nigerian in the UK jobless or doing menial jobs as alleged here?what proportion even and sincerely let people at home know how jobs are regulated here..Inform them a properly trained security guy earns more than most bankers in Nigeria.
    6. Inform them that in UK,even without an office job,you get other jobs to keep you busy and still live a normal life..Send money home and save.

For those having a second thought,its your life and choice but be informed that what you think is a well paying job will
    later be not enough for you and your family(mean wife and kids)and to make it pathetic,it strands you if unluckily you loose your job.Coming to UK is a lifetime investment and sacrifice which is beyond measure..You cant place a measurement on the advantage.Yes,because here is developed,you cant fit into the system as we imagine but with time and good adaptable skills,everything will be ok.Even if at anytime you decide to go back home,you will never be the same person again unless you only came here and never mixed with other race.

Bottom Line,the proprietor of companies you all are seeking to work with made an investment at some point with the risk of either failing or otherwise.If you dont live your comfort zone to risk a better future,others will later come to you,catch up with you and overtake in the shortest period of time.

Up to you to decide your future, not listening to some freaking loosers!

+ Reply
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast