+ Reply + New Job/Topic
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Topic: THE FATE OF NIGERIAN STUDENTS ABROAD

Re: THE FATE OF NIGERIAN STUDENTS ABROAD

Quote Originally Posted by linxman
    This tread just shows me that naija will n can never change cos we have some miscrants that will never allow for change and good governance.

@ All Praise To Jesus

"Finally, if I had landed at least 1 job from like the 105 applications I did in Nigeria, I wouldn't have bothered coming here"

ALL I WANT TO SAY IS THAT FROM THE 105 JOBS U APPLIED FOR IN NAIJA IS ANYONE RELATED
    -TO SERVING BURGERS IN MR BIGGS,
    -SWEEPING OJUELEGBA, SCRUBBING
    -PLATES AT EKO HOTEL

HOW CAN!...NO NA U GET BSC.NOW WITH UR BSC AND MSC U WAN DE DO AM. uR MOUTH LIKE U GOT A JOB IN SEPT WEN U CAME..WETIN U DE DO?

U R STILL A FRESHER SO U STILL BE JONNY JUST COME!

@ Dremoney

"And for pleasure after work,av had sex with a Romanian who grew up in spain,chinese,polish,tanzanian,british,british born Nigerian(most useless though)...wots left is a Jamaican,Pakistani or South American...lol"

...........seriously i dont know what to say to u.Ur achievements is having sex with a lost Romanian. U see in naija u can do the same only if u know ur way. However, i have a friend in the UK and life was all good like ur till she pulled a Rabbit out of his arse if u know what i mean. Please kip ur filt to ur self.

Naijans please if u wan go do msc for uk i beg go but have no regrets. The guy who began tis thread is not in any way discouraging u. He is just sayin THINK B4 U LEAP! N AS FOR ME I STAYED THERE 4 5YEARS E NO EASY NO MAKE ANYONE DULL U. NO LEAVE UR JAB FOR OFFICE OH!

Linxman, I don't flip burgers neither do I sweep the streets in Scotland...My work involves making sure that ordered stock arrives on time and that our customers have easy access to same. While I might add that I didn't actually document the number of applications that I did in Nigeria, I remember that a bank wanted to pay me like 25k or a full time job! Outrageous. Nevertheless, I agree that the guy who started the thread meant no harm in any way. I guess it's just the way he put his message across.
    As for being a JJC, you may be right, but I actually found out I knew my 'way' around the system more than many Nigerians that are in their 3rd or 4th year's stay in the UK.
    For good measure, I never gave anyone the impression that live in the UK is life on a bed of roses. I gave myself the opportunity of ral stock taking before making my move.
    Mind you I started my preparations for this MSc while I was still in 2nd year in Nigeria, which means I probably was most prepared for this.
    Cheers

Linxman, I don't flip burgers neither do I sweep the streets in Scotland...My work involves making sure that ordered stock arrives on time and that our customers have easy access to same. While I might add that I didn't actually document the number of applications that I did in Nigeria, I remember that a bank wanted to pay me like 25k or a full time job! Outrageous. Nevertheless, I agree that the guy who started the thread meant no harm in any way. I guess it's just the way he put his message across.
    As for being a JJC, you may be right, but I actually found out I knew my 'way' around the system more than many Nigerians that are in their 3rd or 4th year's stay in the UK.
    For good measure, I never gave anyone the impression that live in the UK is life on a bed of roses. I gave myself the opportunity of ral stock taking before making my move.
    Mind you I started my preparations for this MSc while I was still in 2nd year in Nigeria, which means I probably was most prepared for this.
    And trust me not to be dull, my Scotland-Nigeria business is all set o be launched in January!!! So you see, making the most of opportunities is what it is all about.
    Cheers

@DREMONY,I THINK U SHOULD BE CAREFUL OF THE KIND OF LANGUAGE U USE,@SLIMBOI JUST OFFERED A SIMPLE AND HONEST THOUGHT AND IT DOESNT WARRANT THE KIND OF FOUL WORDS U HAVE BEEN USING.U CLAIM TO BE PROPERLY EDUCATED BUT I CANT SEE ANY SIGN OF THAT IN UR LANGUAGE.THESE THREAD WAS MEANT TO HARNESS IDEAS AS NAIJA BROTHERS,NOT FOR U TO GO ABOUT USING STRONG LANGUAGES LIKE "FOOL" AND THE LIKE.PLS BE ADVISED!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chiboyo
    @DREMONY,I THINK U SHOULD BE CAREFUL OF THE KIND OF LANGUAGE U USE,@SLIMBOI JUST OFFERED A SIMPLE AND HONEST THOUGHT AND IT DOESNT WARRANT THE KIND OF FOUL WORDS U HAVE BEEN USING.U CLAIM TO BE PROPERLY EDUCATED BUT I CANT SEE ANY SIGN OF THAT IN UR LANGUAGE.THESE THREAD WAS MEANT TO HARNESS IDEAS AS NAIJA BROTHERS,NOT FOR U TO GO ABOUT USING STRONG LANGUAGES LIKE "FOOL" AND THE LIKE.PLS BE ADVISED!!!
    You couldn't have said it anybetter than this however i harbour no ill will against Dremony, am sure someday he will understand....Cheers

I have only read this thread half way before making this contribution, so forgive me if someone else already made similar contribution to the thread. As one who schooled both in naija and yankee, at graduate levels and been gainfully employed in yankee for the last ten years, I want to chip in that first of all I congratulate all the naija guys and gals who are aspiring to get their masters irrespective of all the obstacles, the God that got his children to this point of learning and self development will not abandone us. It is impressive to know that nigerians in yankee are rated as the most educated in the world by the U.S. dept of Education, even ahead of Asians(can you believe that, though the government of this countries including our own government/companies in naija would rather hire asians than a naija for obvious reasons). Actually a University is not a training institute; unknowingly to you guys University does not impact anything that is of value to the industry, especially in the technical areas; In most professions, there are openings that can not be filled even right there in naija where we claim high rates of unemployment, but then there are University graduates in these professions who could not get job because the industry considers them unfit/unqualified for the positions, what is popularly known as the catch 22 situation. The fact that you are been invited for interviews show that the openings are there; it is quite possible for a company to interview all the shortlisted applicants for a job with out hiring anybody, rather the position is thrown open again for another round of interviews. anybody with an MBA degree knows that there is a cost associated with terminating an employee. Also no amount of training will put one at par with somebody with the requisite experience. There are lots of naija men and and women here in yankee with PHDs who are not gainfully employed(atleast in jobs comensurate with their qualifications). The question then is what does one do to get this ellusive job which is starring one at our eyes. First of all take advantage of any work experience that presents itself whether it is in your area of study or not but always concentrate more on jobs that are in the area you want to develop your skills in(that is given a choice between two jobs go with the one that has to do with you area of studies). Network, most first jobs are through networks or "who you know". International certifications also create the impressions you are a master of the subject area. Actually certifications can get you to the doors of most companies but certifications alone will not get you the job. Prayers and Luck is another factor; My subjective definiton of luck is "opportunity meets preparedness". Resillience(this is my favorite post; failed, failed, failed... persistence pass it on) with persistence one sure will get the job, Finally, self employment, do not forget that one can also start something on his own which is primarily the knowledge MBA impacts, one can start a trade or business not necessarily in ones' course of study but in anything one feels capable of doing and before you know it you are a master of that area. Resources can be pulled together by two or more people to start a small business, borrowing from banks and family members or maybe(just maybe) friends. I hope this little contribution of mine helps all those who are searching, and I pray God gives employment to all his children.

Quote Originally Posted by apaulinus
    I have only read this thread half way before making this contribution, so forgive me if someone else already made similar contribution to the thread. As one who schooled both in naija and yankee, at graduate levels and been gainfully employed in yankee for the last ten years, I want to chip in that first of all I congratulate all the naija guys and gals who are aspiring to get their masters irrespective of all the obstacles, the God that got his children to this point of learning and self development will not abandone us. It is impressive to know that nigerians in yankee are rated as the most educated in the world by the U.S. dept of Education, even ahead of Asians(can you believe that, though the government of this countries including our own government/companies in naija would rather hire asians than a naija for obvious reasons). Actually a University is not a training institute; unknowingly to you guys University does not impact anything that is of value to the industry, especially in the technical areas; In most professions, there are openings that can not be filled even right there in naija where we claim high rates of unemployment, but then there are University graduates in these professions who could not get job because the industry considers them unfit/unqualified for the positions, what is popularly known as the catch 22 situation. The fact that you are been invited for interviews show that the openings are there; it is quite possible for a company to interview all the shortlisted applicants for a job with out hiring anybody, rather the position is thrown open again for another round of interviews. anybody with an MBA degree knows that there is a cost associated with terminating an employee. Also no amount of training will put one at par with somebody with the requisite experience. There are lots of naija men and and women here in yankee with PHDs who are not gainfully employed(atleast in jobs comensurate with their qualifications). The question then is what does one do to get this ellusive job which is starring one at our eyes. First of all take advantage of any work experience that presents itself whether it is in your area of study or not but always concentrate more on jobs that are in the area you want to develop your skills in(that is given a choice between two jobs go with the one that has to do with you area of studies). Network, most first jobs are through networks or "who you know". International certifications also create the impressions you are a master of the subject area. Actually certifications can get you to the doors of most companies but certifications alone will not get you the job. Prayers and Luck is another factor; My subjective definiton of luck is "opportunity meets preparedness". Resillience(this is my favorite post; failed, failed, failed... persistence pass it on) with persistence one sure will get the job, Finally, self employment, do not forget that one can also start something on his own which is primarily the knowledge MBA impacts, one can start a trade or business not necessarily in ones' course of study but in anything one feels capable of doing and before you know it you are a master of that area. Resources can be pulled together by two or more people to start a small business, borrowing from banks and family members or maybe(just maybe) friends. I hope this little contribution of mine helps all those who are searching, and I pray God gives employment to all his children.
    God Bless Your!

I just hope it is high time we had come to terms with this realization that our certificate is not a meal ticket. Studying abroad is good but with the proper motive. Times and things have changed! If you want to travel out for further studies...sit down and ask yourself some pertinent questions that reveals your intentions not just for prestige and pecunary gains. What matters to you now will not be what matters to you in some five, ten years time to come. Someone who is looking for a job and can afford or let's say can struggle to have the wherewithal to travel out for studies...I should think can invest same in some gainful employment. Unfortunately, some just want to relish in the prestige of having an overseas certificate etc.
    I once sat in a public bus next to the driver's seat, from EKO HOTEL ROUNDABOUT to MILE II after work one evening. We began to chat when I realised his diction was so clean and clear..to keep the story short. The guy was an MBA holder who has chosen to be self employed. According to him he said he doesn't see himself as bus driver.. that he is into a business..well good thinking. This guy already has a jeep and two buses in his kitty...goes out on weekends for shopping true or not but it shows on him that he is living fine.
    So like my father tells me..."count your teeth with your tongue".

Junior Member makavelli_kamikaze's Avatar

My case is a lil bit different. I was sponsored for my MSc in the UK. I would humbly plead with anyone who has job in naija NOT TO spend his money coming here for studies. Experience is what is more relevant here. Their idea is that if you've worked before, then you have been pre-screened by your former employers and worthy of consideration. So keep your job until when u have study leave. I have a friend on study leave and two companies here are pleading with him not to go back, but we with no substantial experience are still searching for an interview appointment.

@dremoney, u've got a point really..but u need not disconcert d poster to drive home ur points. Anyways, its all shades of grey..nothin is absolutely white or black. Granted dat sum Nigerians abroad didnt quite acclimatize well..doesnt realy mean odas wont. Lets b wise n seek God b4 we make life changing decisions such as these. It is well

People,What you cannot afford please do not condemn,so good things could still come your way.I understand that so many nigerians speak ill of acquiring masters degree abroad just because they cant afford it.After all,who will choose schooling in his village when he can afford city schools.Those that can afford it,pls grab it.My advice is;1. Choose a reputable institution especially those with good student: staff ratio. 2.Remember that 'master' is a verb,you do not master what you do not know,its advisable for one to acquire at least 2yrs working experience in the field he or she wants to pursue a master's degree in,that will cement your career choice thus give you a precise direction in job search. 3. narrow down your academic pursuit,not confusing your life with different degrees.E.g an electronic Engineer,with 2yrs experience as a marketer in a bank,going out to study oil n gas engineering is making a jest out of himself,most employers will find his CV out of focus,and treat him as a fresher.
    I know so many engineers working in indigenous oil servicing companies that went out for their msc abroad,most of them are working in international oil companies.Even those doing the so called menial jobs that are serious are saving more than 150k naira monthly,pending on when they will get there dream jobs.so whats the heck! People should just know what they want and keep their eyes on the target.

great! av learnt alot. wsh u all da best!
    exboyskiils...

The topic beeing discussed here is a very interesting one indeed. Though, i'm still a youth corpse member hoping to join the labour force very soon,but never the less, the issue affects virtually all ambitious gradutes. I belong to set of people that believes in destiny, however, my religion preaches it. I used to believe going to abroad for someone's master programm is alot better probably due to the opportunities you will have access to, but the way things are going right now all over the world especially this issue of economic meltdown is just too pathectic. I have heard many instances of people coming back home to secure a job but still fruitless. However, some people never travelled out of this country still yet, they are really doing fine.I will just round everything thing up by suggesting that everybody should just try to lean on God for guidance and divine favour for him or her to live a meaningful life. Best of luck to everybody!!!!!

we are so carried away by this janding of a thing. may God help us all

+ Reply
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast