+ Reply + New Job/Topic
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Topic: How advantageous is an MSc?

Re: How advantageous is an MSc?

@ Jediknerd

Well things dont happen for people the same way besides different company with different recruitment process and requirements.

I was only saying my experience soo far with my MSC

If at any interview you were told you are overqualified, simply tell them it is to the advantage of the recruiting coy. That it shows your learning exposure. Such questions are not posed to put you down rather what you have to offer with great exposure as the qualification presupposes.
    If you are scared that your 'intellectual progress' would put you down, then don't include it in your CV. But I tell you that would be a bad advice. My mentor once told me that "if you must go for something worthwhile, then bring your best foot forward".
    We are just scared for nothing! Worldwide , a second degree is advantageous even when it is not relevant. Why? Because it simply shows you are ahead.
    The problem is that we just want a job that will put food on our table. Remember one fact of employment- being in the employ of any company can never make you rich until you have a plan for yourself. Like I use to say " nothing gets better in life unless you first get better" And getting better you have to keep learning.

I don't think I could have said it any better than e-diamond. The point remains that no one in his proper mind would tell you an MSc makes you "overqualified" for a job.

And in many cases people cannot justify their reasons for applying to a position neither can they convince the interviewers why they should be employed. This is the essence of interviews and any recruiting process and if you are able to justify that you are worth the employment risk, the firm would recruit you.

It is usually that simple Kobim

what about having Msc in Project Management, its varsatlie

@Pangizee, there is nothing wrong in grabbing an M.Sc. U did mention that u r currently unemployed so instead of waiting for a job and doing nothing, u can start ur M.sc while u wait for a job to come along. U may be fortunate that after ur M.sc u may get a job in the area of ur study. I must say that things are tough right now and sometimes it does appear as if people with post graduate degrees are no better than people with bachelors degree, but the truth is if eventually u get a job with ur qualification, it becomes a roller coaster ride. My friend’s dad was unemployed for over 2years with a master's degree in the mid 1980s but when he eventually got a job, (hmm my brother, the Guy is on top of his game, he moved up the chain very fast and is now 3rd in command in the organization where he works, a federal government parastatal). Another thing is that there are certain kind of international jobs that you can’t apply for if you don’t have a masters' degree, especially UN jobs. But it is also good getting work experience before furthering because with all the qualifications recruiters will tend to pick someone with more work experience and a lower qualification than someone with higher qualifications and little or no work experience.
    @Agbodo, my advice is this, do not resign, work and do your masters’ part time or work for some more years and qualify for study leave so that after your studies you will still have a job to fall back on, pending when you will get another job of your choice. The decision is however yours to take, we can only advice. And a lot of us on this forum speak from experience.
    All the best

Msc

Thanks guyz! I guess i need 2 ve a rethink.
    Job security first while degree follows.... Hmmmmmmmmm

@ e-diamond, who in Nigeria will not be worried about the future. with the job situation in Nigeria, who is not worried about job security.

Let me ask you one thing, if you were working in a company like chevron with your first degree, would you resign to go for MSC when u know that u can do it part time or equally work for some and take study leave and still keep your job and if possible get a promotion after the MSC or resign a good job like that, go for MSC and after that you start job hunting because ones you resign from a company, its almost impossible for them to take you back.

Please which is better because that is the problem most of class mate for MSC class are having today.

My dear the labour market today is soo tough that one has to fear for the future and be wise when making career decision.

HIT THE NAIL AT THE HEAD...AM MSC HOLDER WILL ALWAYS HAVE AN EDGE OVER A BSC HOLDER IF THEY ARE PLACED ON LEVELED QUALIFICATION GROUNDS. MULTINATIONALS PREFER MSC HOLDERS.............INRESPECTIVE OF AGE

With Msc or not u are expected to at least write a job test but it gives you edge over any one with first degree. The truth of the matter is that Nigerian government is not doing anything reasonable to help the situation. However, you could pick a lecturing job with your Msc and you can live a good life. Is actually fun to teach, u will like it; having an Msc is a dream come true. Think about that instead of staying without anything for now. Afterall Msc is a professional qualification. You have become an authority in your field. It is a great thing; explore the chance of impacting knowledge on people. Wishing u luck.

Quote Originally Posted by ubamfrank
    what about having Msc in Project Management, its varsatlie
    True Talk.
    N

Quote Originally Posted by kobim
    @ e-diamond, who in Nigeria will not be worried about the future. with the job situation in Nigeria, who is not worried about job security.

My dear the labour market today is soo tough that one has to fear for the future and be wise when making career decision.
    @Kobim; I do understand you. but by worrying/fearing what will you achieve? Tell me.
    I'm supposed to worry more; six years after graduation I had no 'real job'. I tried many things on my own which included bringing graduates together to run evening classes for SSCE/GCE/JAMB while still applying and attending interviews, till employed and until today, I am where I am. Although not on the 'ooh lahlah or eldorado' job but I am comfortable- reasonably comfortable. Comfortable not because I wait for the end of the month to collect my salary but because I still do business.
    Our emphases are always on getting a job in the job market- which can limit your creativity by blinding you from yourself. You don't see your worth.
    You talk about job security- it never existed, when you are not the proprietor of the business.
    I do sympathise with the desperation of all, I've been there before but I tell you, it's no use nor does it help worrying or fearing. Look inward and be proactive. Success is in you!
    If you get a job ...Good. But that's not all there is to you.

Don't die for the fear of the future when you have the best gift of the present- 'Today'

I think it depends on your career path as others have said. The situation in our country today is worrisome. You'll see graduates with several qualifications n certifications, all to stand above the crowd with zero work experience, then u will want to ask, why all the learnin and effort if i never get to practice, in fact, knowledge gained might become dormant and almost forgotten.

In my own opinion, av been studyin all my life to this stage, i'd rather got a job first then model my career along that line.

All the best peeps, we will make it in this life by God's grace.

get the job and run the two concurently, M.sc is most important in promotions not neccessarily getting the job

+ Reply
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast