+ Reply + New Job/Topic
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: How advantageous is an MSc?

Msc

I plan resigning 4rm my present job 2 go 4 my Msc in unilag. Am 25 n shuld be arund 27 at completion of my Msc. But my HR wuld nt accept my resignation leta advicing 2 build a career am at a crossroad wat shuld i do?

Re: How advantageous is an MSc?

Depends. What you doing the masters in?

You explored the option of taking the course part-time?

How many years work experience you have already?

@Pangizee: You are most welcome.

PS: tahaj is a 'she'

Re: Msc

Quote Originally Posted by agbodo
    I plan resigning 4rm my present job 2 go 4 my Msc in unilag. Am 25 n shuld be arund 27 at completion of my Msc. But my HR wuld nt accept my resignation leta advicing 2 build a career am at a crossroad wat shuld i do?
    I STRONGLY ADVISE U. DO NOT RESIGN, except if it not a career job. i mean if it is somthing like teaching. else DO NOT RESIGN abeg.

@all, my opinion is this. most applications today request for some 2 - 3 years experience, anything u can do to get dat is worth it.
    There are some companies however, that u dare not show ur MSc certificate wen applying. u may show it wen u av been recruited bt not before appointment.
    Masters does not count for, everywhere. in some places, it actually count against.

I wld like to bag my Msc. and have it for keeps, in case i woulkd need it.

Another vital point to consider is age. If a company requires 2.1 and somone </==26years, u may not be considered if u are a day older dan 26years, even if u present PhD. in ur credentials

One luv!

Re: Msc

Quote Originally Posted by dynamicfellow
    I STRONGLY ADVISE U. DO NOT RESIGN, except if it not a career job. i mean if it is somthing like teaching. else DO NOT RESIGN abeg.

@all, my opinion is this. most applications today request for some 2 - 3 years experience, anything u can do to get dat is worth it.
    There are some companies however, that u dare not show ur MSc certificate wen applying. u may show it wen u av been recruited bt not before appointment.
    Masters does not count for, everywhere. in some places, it actually count against.

I wld like to bag my Msc. and have it for keeps, in case i woulkd need it.

Another vital point to consider is age. If a company requires 2.1 and somone </==26years, u may not be considered if u are a day older dan 26years, even if u present PhD. in ur credentials

One luv!
    I strongly agree with dynamicfellow

For me , I think all these fears are uncalled for . Whatever your field in your masters, it is never wasted. Go for masters in whatever you have passion for. If at the end of the day you don't work in that field, it is not irrelevant. Do you get the masters and just go to sleep? certainly NO. There are some job openings that require experience and masters as added advantage- if it falls within your passion zone. Go for it. That you you went for master in banking field becos you are employed in a banking sector shouldn't be . What then if your dream job suddenly surface?
    The whole thing is setting goal for yourself that will help you on the long term. I don't believe fate rules I believe man decides his fate.

Msc

@e.diamond, u ve spoken well. Why r we all scared of d future.

I believe ones decision to go for Msc should be when the person has got a job to do. Your first job has alot to play in your career path. When you get your first job and believe you are ok to build a career in that area, then go for MSc in that area. Realities on ground has shown that quitting your job for MSc is risky in Nigeria today, cos we have many Masters holders even from abroad that are still caught up in this job search saga.

On the other hand, If you dont have a job and the job is not forthcoming, instead of wasting away your time, go for your Msc.God helps, you get a job while doing it and you can cope with both, fine!
    I was doing my Msc when I got my job. I could not cope with the two. I had to quit the Msc.No regret all. I am beginning to go for another Msc that is in line with my career and job. Thank you.
    J

I have a B.Sc Biochem but am tinking of doing M.Sc Chemical Engr in Nigeria. How is that going to help my chances of getting a gud job though am not currently employed.or will it restrict me to a certain area.thanks

Everyones point is valid. I have a friend with BSc(can't remember) MSc(Food something) and he currently works in Logistics Dept of an oil firm.

Summarily, an MSc is always advantageous(cos ofcourse it shows ur postgraduate learning competence) it is however more advantageous to you when it is in a relevant course in line with your career aim...

Quote Originally Posted by Pangizee
    Does an Msc really make one skip da onus of writing coy's aptitude test?because most Coys still insist on 2.1 Bsc degree& 27yrs of age as a min requirement.I dont see how an Msc puts one @ an advantage,im 26yrs. and if i go 4 an Msc now i may be 28yrs when im done .dats ma fear!pls hse ur prompt respose ll be highly appreciated.

It all depends on the JOB you are applying for. If they specified that MSc. is required, then it will be advantageous.
    But if it is a management trainee job, or an entry level job, and the minimum requirement is a BSc with 2.1, than i must tell you that even an BSc. 1st class, MSc., or a Ph.D will be utterly useless in boosting your chances. in fact it may even work against you because the assessors will be picking on you in your personal interview.
    All they are looking for is for you to prove yourself whether you hold MSc, or PhD.
    fROM MY EXPERIENCE WITH UNILEVER ASSESSMENT, FOR THOSE WHO ATTENDED, THEY CAN TELL YOU THAT A LOT OF THE CANDIDATES THERE HAD MSc from many foreign universities, even to the fact that unilever paid thie flight tickets from their foreign locations down to Nigeria, but in the end the final result speaks for itself.

What i am trying to emphasise here is not that MSc is not important, because at some stage in your career, it will definitely speak for you. But the major thing is that you work on yourself in an interview, and forget about the fact that you have an MSc because people with BSc may even flaw those with MSc even from foreign universities

But if you dont have any job to do now, it will be a good idea to go for an MSc to keep yourself busy.

See you at the top....

MSC DEGREE WITHOUT ANY WORK EXPERIENCE, U WILL STILL HAVE TO APPLY FOR ENTRY LEVEL JOBS WHICH IN MOST CASES UR OVER QUALIFIED FOR IT AND THIS COULD RISK UR CHANCES OF BEING SELECTED DURING A RECURITMENT PROCESS

I'M TALKING FROM EXPERIENCE BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT IS HAPPENING TO ME AT THE MOMENT.

I WENT FOR MSC FROM A TOP UK UNIVERSITY AS SOON AS I FINISHED MY NYSC SO I DONT HAVE MUCH WORKING EXPERIENCE AND NOW WHEN I APPLY FOR JOBS THAT REQUIRE MSC THEY TELL ME I WASNT SELECTED BECAUSE I DONT HAVE THE LEVEL OF EXPERIENCE THEY REQUIRE AND WHEN I APPLY FOR ENTRY LEVEL JOBS THEY TELL ME THAT I AM OVER QUALIFIED.

I DONT EVEN KNOW WHAT TO DO ANY MORE, IM JUST IN THE MIDDLE.
    SO I STRONGLY ADVICE ANY ONE WITH A GOOD JOB TO WORK FOR SOME YEARS AND THEN TAKE STUDY LEAVE TO DO MSC INSTEAD OF RESIGNING IN THAT WAY YOU DONT LOOSE YOUR JOB.

JUST LIKE ONE OF US SAID IN HERE THAT THE JOB SITUATION IN NIGERIA NOW IS DIFFICULT EVEN FOR PEOPLE WITH MSC FROM ABROAD

Kobim, your points are valid. But the part about the level of experience is what I don't quite agree with.

I know someone who applied for a position that required 7yrs experience. He was fresh from University at that point and he got the jobs. Employers are looking to hire people who would add value to their firms. If you're able to convince an employer of this, I am certain you would get the job.

And I also don't agree that anyone would tell you that you're overqualified for an EntryLevel job just becos you have an MSc. I'm involved directly/otherwise with graduate recruitment processes. The MSc degree is not taken into consideration at all.

+ Reply
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast