I really pitied one of my students who spent hours deploying Microsoft Office Applications, maybe he thought IT means hardwork, but I think, IT means smart work. I showed him in my lab, a better way of doing it next time. This is Software Deployment using Group Policy. This is one of the simplest tasks to perform. In less than 15 minutes all computers will have the Application installed, even if they are up to 1,000,000!

The steps are as follows;

1.Create a Network Share Point location on the Server, C:\deplyment\officeXp2000
2.Assign both necessary shared and NTFS permission.
3.In this case, office 2003.
4.On the Command Prompt, run setup /a, and install the content to the shared folder.
5.The setup dialog box appears, with the option of setting up where you want it to be, and the product key. Browse to the share point you have created, C:\softwaredistro\officeXp
6.Enter the product key, next, agree, install,
7.Under computer in the GPO Editor of the OU, go to configuration, software settings, new package, new, browse thru the network path to the share point, select PROPLUS.MSI, select Assigned, OK
8.Run the GPUPDATE command or remotely restart all the clients.
9.Tell the users to log on back…and abracadabra…. the office application will be installed on the computer

Simple!

There are many things to learn when you come to my class.

Join the next batch of MCSA/MCSE class commencing on the 26th September, 2011.

Adekugbe David (mcsa,mcse,mcdba,mcts,mcitp,itil)
08035794444, [email protected]
12 Unity Road, Ikeja, Lagos