+ Reply + New Job/Topic
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Topic: Nigerian graduate are not employable, is it true?

Re: Nigerian graduate are not employable, is it true?

Who said Nigerian graduates are not employable? I think such person should visit d hospital for mental check-up.
    Give them the opportunity and see if they cannot perform. Some companies will employ school drop-outs from India, China and
    Europe and place them as directors, managers etc. The same Nigerian graduates "who are not employable" will be the ones to train them. Some foreigners will come to this country with no good idea, the same Nigerian graduates "who are not employable" will help them write proposals and feasibility studies.

A friend of mine attended an interview and was told that she doesn't have experience. I asked, where can she get the experience from if not given the opportunity? Is it from her mother's kitchen?

God should help us, while we try our best.

Nigerian graduate are unemployable, is it true?

A yoruba proverb says "u can not ask 4 d type dat killed ur father until d sword is in ur hand", whether u ar gud or not,u cant prove technical prowess until u ar given d opportunity 2 posibly at work. 4 exampu, while in sch., i developed a collocation model 4 ETISALAT, wen i heard they'll b comin 2 Nig. Howeva, no matter ao gud my model is, they did nt get 2 know cos they wil nt evn allow me enter their complex @ lekki talkles of talkin wit theis CTO. Aoeva, if i had been rightfuly informed like i am now, i wuld av volunteered 4 smaller contractors like IHS, OAKSTEL e.t.c & via them i wuld av been 2 get thru 2 etisalat. That is wot we're tryin 2 say. 4 a whole lot of us wu doesn't av a gainfu employment,volunteerin & internship wil provide us wit d ryt expernce,network & on d job skils. Somtyms i wonder y grad. wit cert. in educatn complains of inexpernce wen our public sch. lacks competent teachers.
    One other thing i think alot of us we av work on is our comm. skills(althoug quite a lot of d so called employers lack dis 2,aoeva,we ar d seller,they ar d customers& in most cases,they are rigth). Eff. communicatn is nt necesarily d use of big vocabularies,it is simply getin ur opinions & ideas known & understud by ur audience. It's simply entails writing,readin,speakin & listenin skils. At dis point, i'll solicit 2 excelent comunicators 2 pls submit write ups on som of dis skils they claim we lack. I'll also b postin stuffs i learnt @ MEP. Thanks

It depends on the view @ which d claimer made it claims but 2 me, His/Her claim is not substain @ any level of significant & those who reasons in dsame way may Lack what they called Knowing ur Career or setting Goals 4 urselv; Permits me 2 ask dis question, which one is dfficults WORK or STUDY? I choose Study based on my own litle Experience of both; In an organisation, each department has their ways of operating which may remain dsame for years but while Study, u will exposes 2 many fields. Pls if u're a 'REAL' Graduate, u will disagree with d CLAIMS.

Saying Nigerian graduates are unemployable is a very blanket statement, the sort of political wave of the hand that dimwits use to classify every problem they cannot deal with. I once listened to a local government chairmen make a statement in the media that youths in his council area were "unemployable" because he could not create jobs. But he is a know thug sponsor who finds the same dumbbell youths very employable around election times.

The irony is that the reporter he was speaking to quoted him verbatim a few days later, and the chairman's English was broken at best. Could not even string a complete sentence with perfect ease.

Sure, there are some graduates I know are brilliant--and it isnt just academic brilliance. Everyone who has come through university should be considered brilliant, even if they blocked their way through four, five years of study and exams. But there are the few who know how to garner their mental resources and get tasks done. They should count for something, even if they are only a handful.

HI house,

just want to inform u all that not all employees are graduates, some are even illiterates and so we need not respond to certain matters.

If they conclude that Nigerian graduates are not good enuf, and if they themelves are graduates, then they should know they are commiting FALACY OF HASTY GENERALISATION.

I would nt have responded if they had used the right words-SOME nigerian graduates..God de sha

bellafone! i agree to some of your arguments.
    The bit is that globally there arnt enough jobs and also the mass retrenchment. check out MTN for e.g. paying graduates is not so easy. and truely in the cooperate world duties are specific and might varry a little from ones training in school though the basics are same. the multi coys have very low employment quota thrown out for the masses, others are inhouse. also note that period btw adverts and hiring is usually more than a yr in most coys so why wait? fellows that are still searching try consider volunteering. i did it but after 3 months i was employed permanently with full benefits and pencon. u can always leave whn u get something better dont border about the expenses. also about self training do the ones u can afford and leave the expenseve ones until u are experiensed.

Instead of cursing, i'll advise you all to stop and think. Though the statement sounds insultive, but if you relate with some 'graduates', you'll understand what makes them say that. I remember in my NYSC days, the worst thing you can ask some 'corp members' to do is to make a statement/speech in public. Some of them can't put their tenses together. Writing/composition is asking for too much.
    We have 'Engineers' who cannot interprete drawings, can't use AutoCAD and can't even communicate effectively. Although these represents a minor percentage of Nigerian graduates, will you as an interviewer be enthusiastic about meeting another candidate if the first five you've met fall into this group that i've described above. We claim we weren't properly thought in school, but that excuse won't fly before any employer. There are some things you must learn for yourself. Truth be told, most students lack self-motivation. I hate to use myself as an example, but i learnt AutoCAD in my 3rd year because my course-mate learnt it the previous year and could use it very well. If you know where you're going, you must acquire skills that will not just take you there, but also keep you there.
    Let's wake up to the times, there were times when it was just enough to be a graduate, regardless of the grade, but those times are past. Consider the number of applicants for JAMB, consider the number of graduates being turned out yearly to compete for limited jobs. You'll agree with me that we don't have the luxury of being complacent. Imagine employers asking for Masters degree before 27 years! That's just a means of screening the thousands of application that come in for less than 20 vacancies.
    While some employers are ready to train you on the job, no one is willing to train a novice.

This is my opinion, you can keep playing the blame game, or wake up to the challenge.
    Regards.

Is pure lies.

it's true, we the graguate in nigeria refuse to prepare, coodinate bcos of the money we are looking for to survive initially.but i must say this if the people of the country nigeria can only be truthful, every problem will be althomaticallly solved.

Who ever said Nigerian graduate are not employable lacks good judgement! For a NIGERIA who is employable like himself what has he done to make the graduates employable in the sense of human development. I think its lack of ideas that has prompted that assertion. True, they may not be employable! Should we then blame the pot for being black or the person that put the pot on the fire. If truely graduates are not employable they are just given back to the rotten system what the system has given to them as simple as that. you can not eat your cake and have. its part NIGERIA BIG PROBLEM CREATED BY OUR ELITES. But to be sincere that NIGERIA GRADUATES can do very well in their various field of specialization if given the opportunity to do so. You dont cross the bridge b4 u there. Noone should intimate graduates. The latter should rather blame our elites for causing the big problem of unemloyment through lack of workable policies and dire corruption. For instance, African and Latin America always start the undevelopment problem with colonialism. THE ISSUE OF WHETHER GRADUATE ARE EMPLOYABLE OR NOT MUST START WITH NEOCOLONIALISM OF GRADUATES BY OUR LEADERS RIGHT FROM TIME IMMEMORIAL TO THE PRESENT DAY LEADERSHIP. From Akume

I think what the employer should have said is that most Nigerian Graduates do not have the required skills for some particular jobs, which i'd quite agree with! Though, truth be told, most skills can only be learnt through training by the company concerned, but there are some basic ones we ought to have been taught right from our university days- our university system really need rebranding.
    Come to think of it, our leaders have a large chunk of the blame, if not all; why can't they send their children to Nigerian Universities, Why don't they get medical attention from Nigerian hospitals, Why are they using high powered generators in their various houses... 'If u really want to solve a problem, u have to understand and FEEL that problem first'!
    As for our Graduates, for how long are we going to keep complaining; use the most of what u have at ur disposal to better ur life and equip urself 4 a better future- OnE dAy e Go BetTer!
    In conclusion, let's us all skill up in our own little way, with the limited resources at our disposal and put our trust in God! Happy New Yr Graduates in the house...
    His(God's) mercies kept me!

+ Reply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234