+ Reply + New Job/Topic
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Topic: Nigerian graduate are not employable, is it true?

Re: Nigerian graduate are not employable, is it true?

hmm...this is what I call "Food for Thought"...well, I always belive in arguing from/on bothsides of the coin. It is true on one side and not on the other. Why is it True? A lot of Nigerian Students actually go to school for all the wrong reasons and if we put all these reasons up, we would find out that they are only looking at the now(i.e. they are not futuristic @all)..For Instance, I once met some girl in a Polytechnic who said for the sake of a University Degree(BSc....)she could study anything even Yoruba...my question was Why?....

Another reason is some people actually go to school to feel amongst the educated and not the enlightened...I call them Educated Illiterates....Some go through the school without the school going through them and all...to mention, but a few..

Why is it False...I believe everyone should be given a chance/opportunity to prove themselves beyond reasonable doubt/preponderance of evidence....(i.e. apart from the oral interviews, other exercises like on the job performance for say two weeks - one month should be allowed)....

I could actually go on & on....but in all...we need the right attitude, positive mentality(Optimism) and a high level of Integrity....

Nigerian graduate are not employable, is it true?

I tink d discusn. is getin interestin. Let me giv an instance, a whole lot of Naija grad. actualy dubbed their cv,cover letter e.t.c. The truth is there ar exceptns,aoeva, dis exceptns culd av bn weeded out durin d proces of selectn. Although,we claim d system is very watery,yet it produce more 2.1 & 1st dan d one of those days. Like i earlier said,there ar naija grad dat ar gud & absolutely employable, bt majority of d unemployed grad does nt av d basic pre-requisite 4 achievin suces on d job. May b i shld add, consultin firm in naijira ar now complainin dat naija grad. ar unteachabu. (Pls don't misquote me),wot ar may posibly b sayin is dat naija grad ar result-driven. Just as we av alot of CCNA dat can nt set up a lan ntwork, d sam way we av biz admin 1st clas grad wu can nt put up a nice biz proposal. Just as som1 asked, if u ar an hr consultant recruitin 4 an int. organizatn & u know hirin d wrong guy wil put ur job on d line, wil u tak ursef & ur unemployed friends. If ur answer is no, then may b u shld start workin on d reason why u feel u ar nt d most appropriate. Most of dis soft skils can b acquired either as an intern or a volunteer. U can get alot of organizatn wilin 2 tak u as volunteers anywhr in nig.

It is wrong and totally unacceptable for anybody (either employer or otherwise) to say Nigerian Graduates are not employable. From my point of view, the first person that made the statement is not mentally sound. How dare you generalise by saying “Nigerian Graduates”. Are u telling me those people (Nigerians) that did their first degree abroad have all being employed? What about those businesses flourishing with Nigerian Graduates? How many job adverts do you see in Nigerian dailies asking for foreigners? Yet they say Nigerian graduates are not employable. Maybe the word that eluded these so-called employers of questionable character is “SOME”, because it is thinkable to assume that some Nigeria Graduates are unemployable, not even most. Therefore, if you are unfortunate to have met these allegedly few unemployable graduates, you should check your means of recruitment or even your organisation because “LIKE CHARGE ATTRACT”. To the few unemployable graduates, you need to do some soul searching. Please register 4 d employability programme organised by Microsoft/LEAP Africa. I am a beneficiary and I can tell you that you will not regret it, besides it is FREE. To the rest of us that are employable, the name of the game is HANG IN THERE, because our time will surely come. God Bless Nigerian Graduates.

• We must dare to think about 'unthinkable things' because when things have become unthinkable, thinking stops and action becomes mindless." (WILLIAM FULBRIGHT U.S. Senate Speech March 27, 1965)

WORDS OF MOTIVATION TO ALL JOB HUNTERS-4get what the employers are saying and improve yourself.You have to only accept constructive criticisms.Life does not give you what you merely desire,but what you strongly demand.Demand greatness today and you will see the difference.Don't ever allow your environment or what people say dictate your direction in life,but dictate your direction through your faith in God and yourself.I tell you the truth,faith in God and yourself helps in positive decision making. You are a product of creativity and hence you should be creative.As 4 me,i don't go after employers but d come 4 me.thanks and God bless.

To me it is crazy, bull shit and giving a dog a bad name in other to hang, it for a Nigerian especially anybody who is or has been a decision maker, or is or has been in government or benefited from the ruling class to suggest that Nigerian graduates are not employable.

Come to think of it,why are the graduates in their mind not employable? Probably because they did not obtain the proper training in school because education is poorly funded.

the same old fools who say we are not employable are the cause of the mess in which Nigeria is in today.

in as much as it is true that a given percentage of Nigerian graduates are not employable, greater percentage are and trainable as well. to me Nigerian graduates would have been one of the best in the world if they were given the opportunities they deserved.

i am not perplexed or moved by such nasty comments because i know that or is vanity upon vanity and soon and very soon everybody will be rewarded according to their work.
    U

u are what u think ure. if u think ure unemployable, that means ure. but never let pple determine ur fate

are the graduate really employable?, if you are opportune to b in charge of an organization and after seeing all the desire and achievement of gp in scul, what discipline would you want to employ? i understood for a long time that the major broblem of Nigerian company's owner (employers) is the employee. i also understood that when i wanted to enter into the university, i entered bcause i love my course of study but when i was graduating my orientation was no longer the love i had for my course but money. and this is how it is to almost 99% of Nigerian graduate. the lecturers who even dose not have enough time to teach students bcause the are every where looking for money has change the love and orientation of our desired discipline. until this is change i also blive that the Nigerian graduate are not employable. even the industries are aware of this, they give training to all their employees irrespective of your course of study. thank you all

Have heard that before but passionately disagree, common if we are all employable by now foreign national should be the driver of our economy.even the foreign ones kowtow to the citizen on best applicable practice to be success on the job.Just a misplacement of priority on the part of the employers.Just my points

About a month ago, while writing an executive MBA exam, i was amazed by the conducts of most of the candidates.Some had nothing in their heads and were engrossed in all kinds of cheating strategies and I beg to ask: was this how they obtained their 1st degrees?

These people all passed through one higher institution or the other yet what they have in them is MINIMAL if anything!

Lets be straight:WE HAVE QUALITY PRODUCTS FROM OUR SCHOOLS but how many are they?I think the culture of reading and LEARNING is fast becoming an ancient fad.

Truth be told, The persentage of quality graduates from Nigeria (in the face of all the socio-economic challenges)is not much.
    NOT casanova!

@Poster, In case of another time, try and compose yourself very well before posting anything atall on this forum or any other place. If possible, type directly to microsoft word so that all your blunders would be automatically corrected for you. You commited so many blunders in all your posts, which is not too ok for a graduate that you claim to be. Must you abbreviate? As a sound graduate, I believe competency and accuracy should be the key. One love.
    "It is while smitting that one becomes blacksmith"

Nigerian graduate are unemployable, is it true?

Although, d discusn is getin interestin, i'll lyk 2 let d house know dat d purpose of puttin up dis discusn is nt 2 kip fixin d blame or insult each other but rather 2 discus those soft skils they claim we lack. I bliv d super graduate who has all dis skils culd shar wit d ones who doesn't av. Let's stop blamin d employers,governmnt or any other body,after they don't read dis blog. Until u take responsibility 4 ur life,u ar nt set 4 suces,says a wise man. Whether we lyk it or nt,u can not force ursef on an employer,u av 2 positn ursef in a way dat wil make him prefer u. Afteral,som of dis skils they complain about ar nt wot u learn in sch., they wot ur society teaches u. Ther is no sch. where they teach u INTEGRITY or is there any course in d world where they teach "true value"? Please,let's stop this child play of insultin each other on dis forum, let's start helpin ourselves bcom beta evry day.

I once was confronted with this poser. My reaction was a bit of thinking and more of anger. In terms of thinking, I considered what graduates in this country have gone through in terms of quality of education, vis a vis, in the hands of government and ASUU, cultism, economy and some other vices unidentifiable ( both personal and lecturers commitments). I realised that all these are capable of affecting the quality being ditched out from our ivory towers. But come to think of it, it was not these graduates' faults. That was the reason for my anger. Most of the people that seem to be the employers of labour are those people who actually murdered quality, because they were there in power and here in this country when it all happened. In spite of that the graduates still studied on.
    Graduating "succesfully", and into the job markets. Then his nightmares begin: First the jobs are not there. When the jobs are available, he contends with the dragon 'age' barrier , 'experience' he never got because they failed to engage him and the "added advantage" syndrome of higher qualifications.
    If any employer attacks your employerbility, he might just be insulting your sensibility. Be calm and prove your worth.
    Our actions at home dented our image abroad. Foreign employer though may be ok to question our employerbility but, in Capital Letters, WE ARE NOT INFERIOR. Let no man press you down. Cheers! One love!!

NGMomoh, sorry I will like to disagree with your view.The problem is not in orientation. Don't be too quick to generalise issue. One bad apple does not mean all is rotten. There is never a law against making money or applying for job because of money. All are guilty of that. The question is are you good in what you are applying for? Forget about whether one lecturer did not have time to teach or he was looking for money.If you feel you are not then you are not. Don't let others judge your competencies, you prove it.
    They might not agree with your certificate because they doubt it, don't go without a fight to defend your worth. This is the reason for interviews :to defend and market your worth

+ Reply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast