+ Reply + New Job/Topic

Topic: DOES THE TRUTH REALLY SET US FREE?

DOES THE TRUTH REALLY SET US FREE?

It is well entrenched in some religious books that SAY THE TRUTH AND IT SHALL SET YOU FREE. But what i know very well that if some of us run across a man at the park and he happens to ask how much do u have there?,a good number will not disclose it. My question now is double pronged. (1)What then is the truth,i mean what do we term as TRUE? (2)Must we really tell the truth all the time?. Please house I need your contribution.
    T

Re: DOES THE TRUTH REALLY SET US FREE?

Let me start by Saying Yes. Only The Truth Can Set you Free. Now when i say "Set Free" i am not talking of you gain freedom from the people of this word (Cell), but gaining freedom from your Mind, When you tell lies, a voice in your mind Speak to you that you have committed a sin and you may live with that still the rest of your life. But when you tell the Truth, you have nothing to hide and ur mind will be at rest all the time.

To be sincere, in this country of our where there are lots of "bad belles" it very difficult to outrightly say the truth You can be diplomatic and not lie at all eg in reponse to your ur question"how much do you have" to can say " well i have some money though not much" dis way, you've not lied.
    Faithful Father

@chrystie From the logic of what u said,if u say u hv not lied by that statement that means anybody anywhere can determine what is true or d truth and from dis,u are saying that what is true or d truth in u.s.a may not be true or the truth in nigeria. Would u pls expatiate on that? i wil really appreciate
    T

be2

Felix,
    Thanks for this interesting question. The Bible records in John 8:32 “And you shall know the truth and the truth will make you free” (NKJV). The freedom spoken about here by Jesus is freedom from slavery to sin.

Contextually, Jesus was addressing certain Jews who had just believed and received His teaching. Jesus told them that they are His disciples only when they continue obeying His word. He went further to tell them that they will know or experience the truth that will guarantee their freedom. But they argued that they were sons of Abraham and never in bondage to anyone. Jesus made it obvious that the freedom He spoke of is not physical slavery but slavery to sin, for any one that makes a practice of sin is a slave to sin.

Now to your question on what is truth? Scripturally speaking, Jesus is truth personified “…I am the way, the truth and the life...” On the other hand the devil is a liar and the father of all lies. Generally speaking, truth is sincerity in action, character and utterance. Fortunately, God in His infinite wisdom has put a police man in every man called the conscience that adequately prompts us in condemnation or approval when we speak lies or tell the truth, though some people have so stifled their conscience that it does not prick them anymore. The truth sets free whether in the sense of Jesus liberating one from sin slavery or in a general sense in which (Oladayo mentioned this too) the conscience frees one from guilt. One needs more lies to cover one single lie told.

To your last question, must we really tell the truth all the time? Yes is the simple answer. But, this will be very difficult except you are connected to Him who is the Truth. He will then empower you and pleasing Him will serve as the needed motivation for speaking the truth.

Finally, speaking the truth might not be popular, it might not be in vogue in this world, but it is one of the qualities of children of God, who realize that life here in this world is transient.

Bella.

Can the BIBLE lie?
    No!

But as humans we still find it very diffcult telling the truth at all times
    I am a slow walker but I never walk backwards.

@coolguy If u bring in the bible,then u are now segregating the issue. Is it everythng in the bible which is true that a muslim will also accept as true? & is the same thing applied to the christians? if the answer is yes,then a christian should take a quoran to the church on sunday & Vice versa for the muslim. But if ur answer is NO then believe u me what is TRUE to nigerians may not be TRUE to americans.
    T

@ felixodeli

I am not segregating I am only backing my opinion with the bible I know that no religion condores lies.
    I am a slow walker but I never walk backwards.

+ Reply