+ Reply + New Job/Topic
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Topic: THE FATE OF NIGERIAN STUDENTS ABROAD

Re: THE FATE OF NIGERIAN STUDENTS ABROAD

i jus moved bk from UK. i have a BSc and MBA from UK..i couldnt get a job in UK, so i moved bk home (nigeria) things are not easy here either! i have been applying for jobs forever! nothing good is coming!
    now im beginning to think having all this degrees is a waste of time and money.

kau

My brothers and Sisters, I quite agree with most of you with your view about the fate of the Nigerian students abroad. It saddens my heart that things turned out the way they are for every and harry. Like some1 mentioned above, while so many Uk graduates remain jobless or underemployed (i.e. menial jobs), it might interest you to know that a few Nigerian grads here in the Uk are also working in some of the best companies with good pay packages. I BELIEVE IT'S A MATTER OF WHEN YOUR TIME COMES. God has time for everyone although I know how frustrating it can be. I graduated over a year ago from the UK in one of the best schools offering my course of study but yet to get something but I believe something is very close for me by the grace of God.
    I actually travelled back to nigeria after my MSc where I stayed NINE months. There is barely no street on Victoria Island I don't know, no thanks to the fruitless search for jobs through dropping of CVs. Well, I also discovered a large number of E&P companies that I never heard of.

Anyway, by the mercies of God, I am back to the UK and things are gradually picking up now as more graduate vacancies are rolling out which I think would favour engineering students coz engineering is still amongst the skills shortage jobs in the UK.

Another advantage the Uk has for a jobless graduate in Nigeria is that while you are searching for your professional job, you can be doing some menial jobs which would keep you busy instaed of staying back in Nigeria and be begging your friends and families for assistance which I find to be very embarassing.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING HOWEVER IS TO STAY CLOSE TO GOD TO FIND OUT THE PLAN HE HAS FOR YOU. THIS IS THE FASTEST WAY TO TO KNOW WHERE YOU ARE GOING.

I WISH YOU ALL THE BEST.

Cheers.

PM

..hey..Slimboi..ow about studing and doing a trade..It would profit u d more..am doin an MSC now in d UK..but comon..its not only 4 jobs..mennnnnn..dat am here..it depends on ur priorities...I tink ..u rather go home..dats is my dream ....but mak sure..u got somtim b4 hand..RGU is stil d bomb by Godsgrace.Al..uta continua..Victoria aceta!!

Omo no where in the world is as bad as Naija,i can give everything to be in your shoes.You how many millions of Naija youth each year die trying to cross libya or morocco to europe.England is bad but try naija you will weep .who no go no know.stay there and struggle like a tru son of naija

It is good to study in good universities, especially the ones abroad, but that will in no way guarantee you a good job. Some have done it in the past while others are still doing it.
    The stark truth is, you need more than a good qualification to find your dream job, maybe you should try working on your connects.
    Good luck!!

It's really wonderful to get to hear all your comments and like one of the guys said, the advantage of being jobless in the UK is that you can engage in part time jobs and support yourself as against the situation in Nigeria where u practically have to live off ur parents or relatives.....which isn't appealing to me at all.

It's all about determination like one of you also pointed out...and developing the requisite skills needed to fit into gainful employment....Staying idle at home doesn't help this cause at all...

To all the people who have spent hard earned millions of Naira to study a course here in the UK, i tell u this...when you think it's the end of the road, its only a bend ...tough times don't last only tough people do and as for my brothers and sisters back home in Nigeria and unemployed, please do find meaningful ways to develop your transferable skills further. This would give you a competitive edge over other applicants and pray ceaselessly too..

I continue to wish everyone the best of luck in all their present and future endeavours.............

Good day, your message is correct but I must tell you that the mentality of Nigerians (both employers and empleyees) is a contributing factor.
    It is acommon knowledge that graduates from Nigeria universities are less recorgnised even when they good.
    This is made manifest in the salary that someone who graduated from abroad receives when compared to that of Nigerian graduate.
    It will do us good if we will believe in our cabability. This will give us the confidence that yes with my certificate from a Nigerian University, I will be considered based on what I can do and not where I graduated from. Have a nice day & best wishes in ur search of job over there.

Quote Originally Posted by Timostan
    Good day, your message is correct but I must tell you that the mentality of Nigerians (both employers and empleyees) is a contributing factor.
    It is acommon knowledge that graduates from Nigeria universities are less recorgnised even when they good.
    This is made manifest in the salary that someone who graduated from abroad receives when compared to that of Nigerian graduate.
    It will do us good if we will believe in our cabability. This will give us the confidence that yes with my certificate from a Nigerian University, I will be considered based on what I can do and not where I graduated from. Have a nice day & best wishes in ur search of job over there.
    Very well my brother, need i say more?

@kau

I find your write so facinating and interesting. As you have rightly said "THE MOST IMPORTANT THING HOWEVER IS TO STAY CLOSE TO GOD TO FIND OUT THE PLAN HE HAS FOR YOU. THIS IS THE FASTEST WAY TO KNOW WHERE YOU ARE GOING"

Friends, I really applaud your bold step of getting your education Abroad.The advantage is that you are more exposed and have more practical experience in an environment where you see things actually working.I believe it helped shaped your thinking and your perspective of life. No matter what degree of job you have,ITS YOUR THINKING PARADIGM THAT MATTERS MOST.Have you not heard of people resigning from High paying Jobs to do something else with their lives?The sincere truth I found out since I started work is that NO JOB OR EMPLOYER CAN GIVE YOU FULFILLMENT IN LIFE. YOU WILL ALWAYS WANT TO APPLY SOMEWHERE ELSE OR BETTER.
    I also think we are in the age of entrepreneurship.Look at the founder of facebook who is 24 years old at present and who became a billionaire in dollars overnight just because he took advantage of software and programming to solve BRING PEOPLE TOGETHER all over the world.
    An idea that can create value for people and that you can package in such a way that people will be willing to pay for the service is all you need to get started.
    Why can you have so much educational deposit in yourself and yet be waiting for who will take charge of your 8:00am to 5pm everyday?
    Its so easy to say but reality may be different, but the point I am trying to make is that IT WASNT EASY TO START THE GREAT COMPANIES THAT ALL OF US WANT TO WORK FOR TODAY,BUT THEY STARTED IT ANYWAY.who will start the glo,schlumberger,MTN,Mobil,Shell of tomorrow?
    WHO WILL TAKE RESPONSIBILITY?
    I also think if you work for someone for 5 years, if you were to be your own boss, 5 years of dedication to your own course will give you more experience and even financial security.
    What's my summary?
    THINK WHAT COMPANY YOU CAN START EVEN THOUGH SMALL, AND THE NICHE OF EMPLOYMENT YOU WANT TO CARVE,RATHER THAN WHAT COMPANY WILL WANT YOU TO WORK FOR THEM.
    DONT WAIT FOREVER BECAUSE THIS TIME IS NOT FAVOURABLE FOR EMPLOYMENTS. I EVEN READ IN THE NEWS THIS WEEK THAT BANKS REDUCED THE MONTHLY PAY OF THEIR WORKERS.
    you have learnt so much, create value with it.

if you want us to discuss further or how I can help:[email protected]
    Thanks

NB:Above is my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by bukkytronics
    Friends, I really applaud your bold step of getting your education Abroad.The advantage is that you are more exposed and have more practical experience in an environment where you see things actually working.I believe it helped shaped your thinking and your perspective of life. No matter what degree of job you have,ITS YOUR THINKING PARADIGM THAT MATTERS MOST.Have you not heard of people resigning from High paying Jobs to do something else with their lives?The sincere truth I found out since I started work is that NO JOB OR EMPLOYER CAN GIVE YOU FULFILLMENT IN LIFE. YOU WILL ALWAYS WANT TO APPLY SOMEWHERE ELSE OR BETTER.
    I also think we are in the age of entrepreneurship.Look at the founder of facebook who is 24 years old at present and who became a billionaire in dollars overnight just because he took advantage of software and programming to solve BRING PEOPLE TOGETHER all over the world.
    An idea that can create value for people and that you can package in such a way that people will be willing to pay for the service is all you need to get started.
    Why can you have so much educational deposit in yourself and yet be waiting for who will take charge of your 8:00am to 5pm everyday?
    Its so easy to say but reality may be different, but the point I am trying to make is that IT WASNT EASY TO START THE GREAT COMPANIES THAT ALL OF US WANT TO WORK FOR TODAY,BUT THEY STARTED IT ANYWAY.who will start the glo,schlumberger,MTN,Mobil,Shell of tomorrow?
    WHO WILL TAKE RESPONSIBILITY?
    I also think if you work for someone for 5 years, if you were to be your own boss, 5 years of dedication to your own course will give you more experience and even financial security.
    What's my summary?
    THINK WHAT COMPANY YOU CAN START EVEN THOUGH SMALL, AND THE NICHE OF EMPLOYMENT YOU WANT TO CARVE,RATHER THAN WHAT COMPANY WILL WANT YOU TO WORK FOR THEM.
    DONT WAIT FOREVER BECAUSE THIS TIME IS NOT FAVOURABLE FOR EMPLOYMENTS. I EVEN READ IN THE NEWS THIS WEEK THAT BANKS REDUCED THE MONTHLY PAY OF THEIR WORKERS.
    you have learnt so much, create value with it.

if you want us to discuss further or how I can help:[email protected]
    Thanks

NB:Above is my opinion

Thought provoking and indeed insightful.......................

I am presently studyin in the UK. It is a priceless experience and i am glad i am doing it.
    Just a few words of advice:
    1. Make sure you have a well rounded education in the UK, if u decide to come.
    2. Take advantage of all their opportunities to advance urself.
    3. They have career days, learn interview skills, volunteer for organisations, build ur excel skills, stuff like dat.
    4. Start applyin early (before u finish ur studies)
    5. It will be beta to av like a yr work experience b4 u do ur masters n a professional qualification if necessary.

Finally, its not just about d degree; its d knowledge u gain, d practical experiences and d connections u make.
    If u feel u can cope and afford it, pls go for it.
    Dont believe dat its d foreign qualification dat will get u d job, its d experiences u av gained dat will set u apart.
    God is good

@pinkykrispy If your area of studies is engineering u are welcome to an ever widening group of job seekers regardless of your schooling whether in uk, us or naija. the fact still remains that you have to channel most of your energies to setting up your own company or business and think of employing others cos that is the only sure way of surviver...even if you get the job u still have to be up and doing to preserve it! With your experience adn training especially abroad, think of applying the acquired knowledge to issues, services, technology, e.t.c areas in naija and help others. I did my master here in Naija and to me I just succeeded in paying my hard earned money to teach myself because i refused to allow them not to waste my money and time so i had to research and learn practically everything solo! Yet one cant give up but must keep up developing b/cos with adequate research universities arent really necessary!

+ Reply
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast