+ Reply + New Job/Topic
Page 48 of 142 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Topic: Union Bank Thread! Am truly sori 4 Deleting it!

Re: Union Bank Thread! Am truly sori 4 Deleting it!

Just came across this 1st class discussion and from experience in HR most companies are not really interested in 1st class students cos you realize majority of them are Very gud at pouring down what they study but never really take the time to try implementing it hence they are more of books and less practice. If its to impart said knowledge in others they can but usually can't practice it. Ever wonder why most 1st class students don't have really interesting social lifes in skool?? And once you can't relate socially you function in today's business environment. Except in fields like maths where the study is mostly practical do you find companies willing to accept 1st class. Just like I know someone who could cram an entire chapter of a text book but couldn't explain it. She finished with a 2.1 but you know the rest....

@the rock! Wel said!

Quote Originally Posted by TheRock View Post
    Just came across this 1st class discussion and from experience in HR most companies are not really interested in 1st class students cos you realize majority of them are Very gud at pouring down what they study but never really take the time to try implementing it hence they are more of books and less practice. If its to impart said knowledge in others they can but usually can't practice it. Ever wonder why most 1st class students don't have really interesting social lifes in skool?? And once you can't relate socially you function in today's business environment. Except in fields like maths where the study is mostly practical do you find companies willing to accept 1st class. Just like I know someone who could cram an entire chapter of a text book but couldn't explain it. She finished with a 2.1 but you know the rest....
    I beg to disagree.I don't know what facts you have to back up the above assertions. I don't want to say it's sour grapes but your argument is fundamentally flawed.First you say that HR departments in companies don't show any interest in people with 1st class.
    Do you mind telling us how many HR managers who told you it's company policy not to hire 1st class graduates? Did they tell you that they'd rather go for thirds? If learning by rote(cramming) were the sole route to a 1st and if cramming were easy in itself,why doesn't everyone have a 1st class?
    How can you even say that 1st class graduates don't have fairly functional social lives? The fact that you didn't come up on their social radar doesn't mean they live in solitude.They worked harder,cut back on unproductive relationships and put energies into things they loved. Is that what antisocial means to you? Truth is we can embellish stories of people who can't 'defend' the grades they have,it make us feel better about ourselves. We must also realize that most people with outstanding results were diligent,focused and socially confident.

True talk bandersnatch....

@bandasnatch well said,i luv ur comment............

@bandersnatch splendid argument but when you find urself in HR you would understand and appreciate more my arguments. Companies would rather go for those with 2nd class. I don't have any personal grudge against 1st class students infact I admire them but the fact remains that organisations these days prefer someone who would rather go partying than sit indoors all in the name of "worked harder,cut back on unproductive relationships and put energies into things they loved" what you love will not put profit in the organisations pocket. And if you must know I was a part of their inner circle and can categorically tell you that 3/4 of 1st class students fall into the categories of not being able to express their feelings, being afraid of failure, they mostly feel out of place among social gathering and are afraid to try out new things all these do not make them anti-social as they have their own social lives but also does not mean they have fully functional social lives.
    And yes half 1st class students cram like never before its their gift.
    Finally only a self righteous self deceiving person would make themselves feel gud cos the other person can't defend their grades cos truth be told whether they can or cannot does not give you a job or put money in ur pocket.

Guys lets jst kip hopn we get kald. All dz arguements are nt leadn us anywhere. Lets jst pray dat our efforts wil neva b in vain. For us 2 do d apt test and assesment centre is neva easy. Sum 1st,2nd,3rd class ppl cudnt evn hv ds opportunity. Lets diskus sumtn else plz. *winks*

@Musco.spot on. This whole recruitment process is taking too long joor,no b bank job abi na smfin else?FBN dt started after dem will b sending 2nd batch to TS very sn

am jst hopeful sha. God no dey slp. By His grace, we shall laf at last.

All of una talk true talk. Gbam.

@all just got this from a friend who works at union bank although his word is not authority but somefin to reflect on. Union bank is trying to reposition itself to be able to compete favourably with other top banks in Nigeria dats why the mass recruitment. They have a new investor most likely Citi group. Also the mass recruitment is taking a lot of people at all levels not just graduate trainee even experienced staff from other banks. Finally 2 years ago when they recruited all those who passed the exams were taken. So let's just be hopeful and wait for them.

@The Rock
    Companies would rather go for those with 2nd class.
    Are you kidding me? What company would prefer that? Most multinationals limit their entry level tests to 1st and 2nd Upper.KPMG,Accenture,McKinsey and Company,Deloitte,PricewaterHouseCoopers,Mobil,Shel l,Chevron,Total.Please give me a list as long as that to buttress your statement.
    organisations these days prefer someone who would rather go partying than sit indoors
    Well if you were employed as a presenter on MNET's Studio 53 or as Joan Rivers' sidekick on E! then the above might be true.
    I don't see how a Well Site Geologist at Total or a Business Analyst at McKinsey would have to hit the party circuit to get their job done.Enlighten me please.

3/4 of 1st class students fall into the categories of not being able to express their feelings, being afraid of failure, they mostly feel out of place among social gathering and are afraid to try out new things
    3/4? You are throwing figures around.A lot of us have learnt not to accept things the way they are put to us.Which poll was taken to arrive at that figure?Which population was sampled and where? Hard facts please.
    It's only human to not want to fail,this primal instinct cannot be exclusive to 1st class graduates.It's time we gave the 1st class V 2.2/3.1(?) debate a rest.Those guys went through the same schools as we did,had the same 'tough lecturers',took lectures under mango trees yet they hit the bull's eye.That to me is resilience and enterprise.They invented ways to get great results while others whined about the system. They would continue to be innovative wherever they go.
    Hint: Look up Ifueko Omogui-Okauru.

@TheRock: tnx a mill for d info. Guyz lets stay positive.

+ Reply
Page 48 of 142 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898 ... LastLast