+ Reply + New Job/Topic

Topic: AGIP UK ENI JOB OFFER (SCAM BEWARE!)

AGIP UK ENI JOB OFFER (SCAM BEWARE!)

Hello House,
    though I am a member of the house but haven't really been responding to messages. However, I felt the urge to respond to the resent posting on the ''AGIP JOB OFFER''.

Having gone through the content of the offer, I needed no one to tell me its a scam. I am based here in London (though returning to Nigeria soon), I know what the system requires and what it takes to get an offer. Don't be deceived my brother. I will point where I personnally fault the offer.

1) WRONG PNONE NUMBER: The Agip office in London is addressed below with phone numbers for your notification

10 Ebury Bridge Road
    SW1W 8PZ , London
    UK
    Phone: 44 (0)20 7344 4100
    Fax: 44 (0)20 7344 4123

2) UK PASSPORT/WORK PERMIT: If you are not a UK citizen does it make sense to you that you can get a UK passport? Think about it. I was fortunate to attend a UK Institution here in London and know the process involved in getting a work permit within the UK. As much as I know employers are no so obliged to get one for you particularly when you are not on ground. Though a few might go the extra length. You even need one before you get a job. If you were not born in the UK or married to a UK citizen, forget about the dream of a UK passport. Its not possible.

3) STARTING ANNUAL SALARY: I leaped with joy for you for that kind of mouth watering offer. Nevertheless, as a starter in an oil & gas firm in the UK, don't expect anything up to £40,000 sterlings p.a. Thats before tax and you what your take home would be after tax. With an offer of £8,000 monthly which amounts to £96,000 p.a is an absolutely incredible offer! Even Shell and Mobil UK does not give that.

However, not to discourage you completely from your dreams and expectations, you may call their UK office phone line during working hours to ascertain the verity of the offer. But remember, no genuine business organisation would request a penny from you during the processing of an offer and be careful where and how you send your information to.

I wish I could personally go down to the address in Hendon, UK that was sent to you to help verify the location and the business on site, but I am pressed for time and also its a good distance from where I reside.

Anyway, ust be careful, prayerful and always hope for the best. Happy job search.

Regards,
    Dave.

NB. Try and get the IP address from the email by allowing the full headers to appear in the email and search it out on google IP address finder then it will tell you where the email is from. Don't be surprised it could be someone in your neighbourhood trying to scam you! We know what people are capable of. Best of luck.
    D

Re: AGIP UK ENI JOB OFFER (SCAM BEWARE!)

thanks a lot for this very valuable information. It good to have individuals like you in this forum.

take care

Thank you very much.
    I am a slow walker but I never walk backwards.

dave4eva - excellent info.

I'll add some more taken from http://www.oil-offshore-marine.com/bewarejobscams.php

The common sense rule: when something is too good to be true, then it most probably is NOT true. Remember this and you will be just fine.

1. What is a job scam? Also known as Advance Fee Fraud or 419 Fraud.
    2. How do the scammers act?
    3. What should you do to protect yourself?
    4. How to tell if a recruiter/employer is real, genuine and in good faith?
    5. Ways to discover if a job offer made to you is real or scam.
    6. What to do if you encounter a job scam.
    7. Partial list of job scammers, fake companies, and known charlatans.
    8. List of worldwide companies whose names were used in job scams, fake job offers, fraud, spoofing, spamming, and phishing.

1. What is a job scam? Also known as Advance Fee Fraud or 419 Fraud.

Answers: First of all, what is a job scam? Probably most of you already know the answer, but for those who don't, here is an explanation: a job scam is a form of FRAUD where certain persons (scammers), posing as recruiters (agencies) or as employers offer really attractive employment opportunities (which seem too good to be true); subsequently, the jobseeker (candidate looking for a good job) is required to pay them [the scammers] money in advance, usually under the guise of work visas, air travel expenses, and out-of-pocket expenses. Usually, the job scam form is called Advance Fee Fraud or 419 Fraud.

Top^

2. How do the scammers act?

Answers: A scammer attempts to gain his victim's [the victim is the jobseeker] confidence in order to extract personal information such as full name, bank account details, credit card details, PayPal information, Social Security Number (SSN), driver's license, birth date, home address, or any other personal data.

Top^

3. What should you do to protect yourself?

Answers: It's easy. Never disclose, by email or telephone, to people whom you don't know, your personal data such as: - full name - bank account details - credit card information - PayPal information - Social Security Number (SSN) - driver's license - birth date - home address

Top^

4. How to tell if a recruiter/employer is real, genuine and in good faith?

Answers: You can try one or more of the below options:

a) Look at the company name. Is it saying anything to you? Have you heard of it before?
    b) Does the domain name match the name of the company?
    c) Ask your friends and colleagues if they heard of that company.
    d) Google it. Yahoo it. MSN it. Run a search and see if the same company has been involved in job scams or if other people say that company has been scamming others.
    e) See what country that company pretends to be working in. Then call or email the Embassy of that particular country and ask them if they know anything of it.
    f) Ask that company if you need to pay anything in exchange for their service. If first they say no and then, after some time, say you must pay for visa, work permit or for travel, it's a fake company and behind it are job scammers!
    g) Ask that company to provide you copies of their incorporation certificate or proofs of Government registration, or VAT number.
    h) And finally, be advised that most fake companies acting as scammers "offer" scam jobs in areas such as Africa (Nigeria being the most famous case), Middle East, Asia, even South America. To a much smaller extent, even US or Western Europe.

Remember! We provide a FREE Checking System: if you get a job offer that sounds too good to be true, please email us at info[at]oil-offshore-marine.com and we will investigate and check if that job offer is a scam or not, and if the job offer was made by a real, good-faith, company.

Top^

5. Ways to discover if a job offer made to you is real or scam.

Answers: There are several methods you can use to determine whether a recruiter or employer is real, and acting in good faith. Generally speaking, if you are made a job offer by a company to whom you never applied before and, still, they make you a job offer without even having interviewed you, that is a clear job scam. But let's see some possible scenarios:

a) First of all, look at the web address from which the pretended recruiter or employer send the email. For instance, let's you get an email from "Shell UK ", but when you look in the From: field, you see this "Shell UK" - "[email protected]". If this is the case, it is clearly a job scam. Why? Because real companies, acting in good faith never use free email providers (such as Yahoo!, AOL, MSN, GMAIL and so forth).
    b) Second, let's say you get an email from a so called Xaturnico Oil Company. The email comes from "Xaturnico" - "[email protected]". So far so good, there are high chances that the company exists, and the domain name (xaturnico.com) matches the company's name, Xaturnico. Also, the domain xaturnico.com is valid, working, uploaded on hosting and the company has a web presence (no "currently under construction" appears). Now you need to dig further - read the email, see what they are saying. If they use fancy words, and make you a job offer with a very high salary comparing to your current salary or to the market rates, or if they are asking for an advance payment (either by PayPal, check, wire transfer or other form), or if they are asking you to forward them any personal information (such as credit card information, bank account details, etc), that is a job scam! DO NOT send them any payment, and do not provide them with any personal information.
    c) Third, let's assume you get an email fro Wakutty Oil. The email comes from "Wakutty Oil" - "[email protected]". There are high chances that the company exists, and the domain name (wakutty.com) matches the company's name, Wakutty. Also, the domain wakutty.com is valid, working, uploaded on hosting and the company has a web presence (no "currently under construction" appears). They are rather smooth, they don't ask anything from you, you exchange emails with them, everything is ok, then, after 2 weeks (or, if they are very patient, after 2 months), they suddenly say they need an advance payment (either by Paypal, check, wire transfer or other form), or they are asking you to forward them your personal information (such as credit card information, bank account details, etc), that is, yes, a job scam. DO NOT send them any payment, and do not provide them with any personal information.
    d) In order to gain your trust, these scammers / fake companies might even say they need your medical information, previous employment status, and so forth. Do not disclose this information to anyone you do not know and whom you cannot check (either in person or by official ways).
    e) There are other scenarios we have yet to hear of. Stay cautious! Email us if you hear of anything new, so we can put it here and benefit others.

Remember! We provide a FREE Checking System: if you get a job offer that sounds too good to be true, please email us at info[at]oil-offshore-marine.com and we will investigate and check if that job offer is a scam or not, and if the job offer was made by a real, good-faith, company.

Top^

6. What to do if you encounter a job scam.

Answers:
    a) Do NOT reply to the email.
    b) Do NOT reply to the email; once you reply, even to tell the sender you are not interested, they will keep emailing you.
    c) Do NOT disclose any personal information to anyone.
    d) Do NOT send money to anyone.
    e) Send us information regarding that company/scammer so that we can add it to the list of job scammers & fake companies (see below).

Top^

7. Partial list of job scammers, fake companies and known charlatans.

http://www.oil-offshore-marine.com/bewarejobscams.php#7

Thanks very much for this eye-opener.
    With God all things are possible

+ Reply