+ Reply + New Job/Topic

Topic: Studying abroad, is it worth it?

Studying abroad, is it worth it?

Considering the state of unemployment in Nigeria is studying abroad advisable?

Re: Studying abroad, is it worth it?

Studying abroad is not a bad idea if you have the financial support.

You just answered the question, unemployment. You may get employment opportunity while in abroad.
    I

@nnamdo4u, I am not trying to be pessimistic but most folks who are currently studying or studied abroad are running back home in search of job.

I'm sure you're not because you shouldn't. Meanwhile i was very careful in answering your question. I said you may get employment opportunity not you must get a job. Besides, advantages of obtaining a foreign certificate cannot be overmphasized. 1. it expands your scope, broaden your horizons and makes you to be recognized internationally. 2. Companies in Nigeria prefer foreign certificates to Nigerian own because they believe it is more reliable and genuine. 3. Greater chances of employment because your qualification is not limited to Nigeria alone but worldwide in general and you stand to receive greater pay. etc Those peeps you said came back home to look for job. If you apply for the same job with them, the company will call them first before you. So i advice, if you have the necessary resources to study abroad, go for it.
    I

@nnamdo4u, I agree perfectly with you. That was very insightful. Tnx man.

Study abroad is worth it though things might not really turn out the way you expect it initally.

I did my masters' degree in the UK in 2008 and searched for a job over there but none came and you have to get a job paying over £40,000 pounds anually inorder to move on to the next tier of visa, after your post study visa expires( that is one of the new uk immigration rules) i came back to nigeria last year 2010 and its been almost a year i came back and have done thousands of application but not a single interview. All my friends with just 1st degree in Nigeria are all working in reputable companies though i cant say my situation is the same for everybody, some people get jobs immediately they finish. But dont always expect that you will get the job before those that dont have foreign degrees, things dont always work that way. I'm talking from experience here. Again we should try and i realize that this unemployment of a thing is affecting everywhere just that it is worse in some countries.

One thing i believe is , LUCK and once is your time comes you will get your dream job. But all in all, study abroad is worth it.

@kobim, thank you so much for your contribution. I really appreciate.

+ Reply