+ Reply + New Job/Topic
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Topic: Read this before you apply for any school in US.

Re: Read this before you apply for any school in US.

There are universities in USA now that does not require you any international exam. Just your o'levels.

kunle agreed but the embassy might deny u visa on that count, sayn u are not serious. or wat do u tink ronney

u be correct man

@lsk well it is true but you see it depend o how you are able to convince the consular. I have seen many people like that without any international student getting visa. One of my client said when the consular(a Lady) ask for his GMAT. He told her that his school do not require it and that they will give her a English test once he resume school. He got the visa.

it all depends on how u present urself to the consular but it is still advisable to do GMAT or GRE even if ur school does not require it. sometimes, ur GRE score may help u get a scholarship too.

Please i want to apply to any school in US by I don’t know where to start from. Can some give me some information on how to apply and get some scholarship or financial aids?

@ kunle Reality of Financial Aid for International Students
    The reality is that there are limited places at the top schools for international students. The financial aid pool for international students is also limited and there is fierce competition for a slice of the pie. Unfortunately, the subprime financial crisis led to a drastic fall in the endowment of many American universities and colleges, which further led to cuts in funding, financial aid for American students, and invariably financial aid for international students. Some notable casualties are Williams College that just announced its abolishment of its need-blind practice, and Olin College that cut its full tuition scholarships for incoming students to half scholarships. There are yet more U.S. colleges that cut their budget for financial aid and merit scholarships for international students.

However,
    For lower-income, high-achieving international students who aspire to an overseas education but require financial aid, the United States remains THE BEST place to do so in the world.

Keeping in mind the reality of competitiveness for limited funds in the U.S. and the smaller pool of financial aid for international students post-financial crisis, I have several recommendations for U.S. universities and colleges. These recommendations are based on historical data, testimonials from international students, and official college information.

First, financial aid for international students can be classified into two categories – Need-based and Merit-based aid. Roughly, need-based aid is awarded based inversely proportional to your family income. Merit-based aid is awarded based on your merit (academic or otherwise) and does not depend on family income. Of your financial need (the difference between the cost of study and your ability to pay), colleges that award need-based aid can cover up to your full demonstrated need, whilst others leave a gap that you must cover with loans or borrow from relatives. Most colleges are need-sensitive, which means your financial need affects your admission – i.e. more financial need results in lesser likelihood of being admitted.

A) Need-based Financial Aid
    Need-blind colleges do not consider your financial situation when deciding admission. There are only six schools in the U.S. that are need-blind and meet full-need of international students:

1) Amherst College
    2) Dartmouth College
    3) Harvard University
    4) Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
    5) Princeton University
    6) Yale University
    I have helped some of my clients to get to some of these best universities in US.

Need-sensitive schools that are generous in awarding financial aid to international students are (in no particular order):

1) Williams College. Williams College used to be need-blind for the last admissions cycle but nonetheless still awards generous financial aid to the very best international applicant.
    2) Middlebury College
    3) Swarthmore College
    4) Vassar College
    5) Vanderbilt University

B) Merit-based Financial Aid

Schools that offer merit-based scholarships (up to full tuition) to international students are (in no particular order):

1) Wesleyan University
    2) University of Richmond. Full tuition scholarships to up to 12 Science Scholars, 20 Boatwright Scholars, 6 Artist Scholars, 7 Oldham Scholars (this includes room and board)
    3) University of Southern California (USC) - 100 full tuition scholarships and more than 200 half tuition scholarships
    4) University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (UNC) - 70 Johnston Scholarships for entering freshmen
    5) Washington and Lee University (W&L) - Johnson Scholarships

C) Tuition-Free Colleges

Schools that offer the equivalent of tuition-free scholarships to every incoming student (including international students)

1) Berea College. Preference for students from low-income families.
    2) The Cooper Union. Requires a U.S. mailing address to apply.

Other U.S. universities to consider; your mileage may vary (in no particular order):

1) Reed College
    2) Skidmore College
    3) Colby College
    4) Colgate University
    5) Carleton College
    6) Bates College
    7) Lafayette College
    Bowdoin College
    9) Kenyon College
    10) Wellesley College (for women)
    11) Bryn Mawr College (for women)
    12) Mount Holyoke College (for women)
    13) Smith College (for women)
    14) Deep Springs College (for men) – tuition-free college

There are still many U.S. schools out there that award partial and half tuition scholarships; in absolute terms, these schools may even be more generous to international students. However, upper-middle income international students rarely need to go out of their way to find such financial aid options - some of the schools on their shortlist are likely to offer some measure of partial funding and they should have more financial flexibility than low-income students. Hence, I did not include the great number of U.S. schools that offer partial financial aid to international students. You can do more research on US schools with www.peterson.com .
    I have been working hard since morning so I need some rest but I will surly give some more information on How to apply to US schools tomorrow.

Sorry it is petersons.com

good work and i hav checked up ur post they checkedout.

the thing is where do i start from,i hav my transcript...........should i just go ahead and apply to a school of my choice...pls wats the first step.

Just check out the requirement of the school you are apply too. Then send all the necessary documents to the school. Make sure you include the bank statement of your sponsor or else it will delay your application process.

For whose who want scholarship. You can apply to his school. winthrop university. I can a sure you that you'll get good scholarship. I am giving his out for freeeeeee. If you have any question just ask and i will reply when i am less busy at work.

Kudos to the initiator of this thread, Rooney and co. Well, i'm a graduate of Geoscience, intending to pursue a M.Sc Programme in any of the foreign institutions. Pls kindly mail me [email protected] so we cld relate on some issues. Thanks
    E

Please you can call me cos i am always tired after the day work.....08085734900 for any assistance related to US visa processing only.

+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast