+ Reply + New Job/Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Six Steps in Creating a good CV

Six Steps in Creating a good CV

A good CV is essential in getting the job you want - so u have to take the time to get it right.

Notice that it's about a good CV not an ideal CV, 'cos there no such thing as an ideal CV. (I personally think Step 5 is really important)

The main thing to remember when writing your CV is that there are no rules. Admittedly there are (self-proclaimed) CV experts out there and countless books on the subject, but it’s rare that these sources agree on what makes ‘the perfect CV’. While it’s important to seek advice, the aim of your CV is to market you and your skills and convince recruiters you are suitable for interview – and a little originality can go a long way in doing this.

But that doesn’t mean there aren’t some fail-safe tricks of the trade that are well worth paying attention to.

Step 1: focus your message
    Before you put pen to paper it’s important to decide what you want your CV to say, which will depend on the job and industry you are applying to. What you prioritise and emphasise should change depending on what you want the reader to focus on. And remember, recruiters aren’t psychic – they can only form an opinion of you based on what you tell them in your CV. So, obvious as it may seem sometimes, it’s essential to not only list what you have done but also the skills you have developed as a result.

Step 2: pick a format and stick to it
    First impressions definitely count when it comes to your CV. A recruiter may only glance at it briefly and they won’t waste time trying to locate hidden details, so it must be logically structured and broken down into clearly marked, readable sections. ‘From an employer’s perspective, it really helps to be able to read a CV as though it is a “timeline” of a candidate’s own history,’ says Tracy Foster, recruitment co-ordinator at SP Systems, ‘as it enables them to almost build up a picture of that person.’

Most CVs follow the same format: personal details followed by education, work experience and finally other interests. This is not ‘wrong’ but it does mean that they nearly all look the same. How you choose to structure your CV is up to you, but the most important thing is to decide on a layout and style and be consistent with your use of headings, fonts, etc, throughout.

Step 3: use space wisely
    The maximum length of a CV is two pages, so there isn’t room to waffle! Be logical – employers will read from the beginning so this is where the most relevant information needs to be to catch the reader’s attention. Whether you opt for a chronological CV format, or one that pulls out your most relevant experience and skills first, it is crucial to give space to the most relevant parts of your CV to make these as clear as possible for the reader.

It’s important to think about the industry you’re applying to as well. Some sectors, such as law, are more traditional than others and will not be impressed with a radical new approach to CV writing. But others, such as the media, are much more interested in seeing genuine enthusiasm for the
    industry and relevant work experience than what you got in maths GCSE. So, think about the selection criteria for each employer and match your own skills as closely to these as possible. Writing a list of all of your skills and achievements is a good way to do this, as you will then be able to pick the most appropriate ones for each job role.

Step 4: fill in the gaps
    Never leave anything up to the imagination of the reader. Gaps are highly conspicuous on CVs and recruiters will spot them a mile off. Tempting as it is just to miss out bad exam results or not mention those lost summer months you can’t quite account for, it’s much worse to leave them out all together. If you do, recruiters have no choice but to guess what should be there and why you’ve left it out – which is nearly always worse than the truth and could cost you an interview.

Step 5: stand out from the crowd

Roo Modasia, training officer at HBG UK Ltd says, ‘When you’re competing
    against thousands of others for the very best positions, you’ve got to stand out from the crowd or risk being lost in a sea of identical applications and CVs.’ But it’s important to get noticed for the right reasons says Roo. ‘I’ve had an application e-mailed to me from [email protected] – not a very good first impression!’

Whilst inappropriate personal references aren’t always a good idea, Tracy adds, ‘Don’t be afraid to let your personality shine through on paper. I’ll always remember an applicant who applied for a summer placement citing
    one skill as being able to make a good cup of tea… A crucial factor in the work environment!’
    In essence, u have to highlight your uniqueness in ur CV.....remember that many people are applying to that same post....u have to stand out.

Step 6: check it
    Once you have finished your CV, print off a copy to make sure you are happy with it. Tracy suggests that an easy way to do this is to ask other people for their feedback. ‘Do gain opinions from family and friends about your CV. All of the details included will make perfect sense to you, but you
    may be surprised by the things that others will stumble across, so be prepared to take on board constructive criticism and to also hear about the
    positive traits others see in you. Ultimately, this will encourage you to produce a more rounded CV that will be easier to read by third parties.’

Adapted from Graduate Jobs Uk
    The help of God is the greatest need of any person...

Re: Six Steps in Creating a good CV

Ok
    Revelation 22: 11-12

Hi Yinka,

Thanks for the info.

U seem to be headed for a career development job

Good luck
    what goes around comes around

hi yinka, thanks a million times.u may not know it,but u guys r geeenius.
    keep ya head up.
    i am presently serving in oyo st.
    i'll relate with u guys later.
    takia

thx 4 d indepth xpositn. u are 2 much
    we are what we think we are

pls could you send a format to [email protected]
    thanks
    kehinde olajide ajayi

Hi, Kodajayi, there's a sample document with different types of CVs available on another forum. U can access it from http://www.naijahotjobs.com/index.php?topic=1391.0

Wishing u the best....
    The help of God is the greatest need of any person...

please,i appreciate your effort,but can u send a good prepared cv. for me,please.I will be happy if u do.
    THANKS,
    MY EMAIL[email protected]

I really appreciate ur effort. could u pls send me a format so i can use to edit mine? My email address is [email protected]. Thank

Thanks Yinka

Hi,
    i appreciate ur write up. Keep it up.

prince David
    prince

cool job. thanks

pls yinka cud u send a cv format to me [email protected]
    ugbo