Hello, Fellow Naijahotjobber,

From the subject matter above, you would agree with me that this information is not for everyone. It is strictly for landlords and tenants.

The question is: Are you one of both? If yes, then, you’ve earned yourself another information based platform to answer your legal issues.

Of a truth, the original intent was to restrict this information to Landlords alone, but on a second thought, I realized the eye of the tenant may not escape this information. Do not get me wrong – there is no bias against the tenant here. It is only natural to discuss issues practiced mostly by Landlords.

If you are a Tenant reading this piece, however, you are highly welcome to feed your mind and increase your knowledge base.

NOTICE TO QUIT (Or QUIT NOTICE) is one important, yet complicated and controversial legal issue confronting landlords. The challenge is:

Serve the wrong notice and you’ve opened the door to extra days, months and even years for the tenant to remain on the premises”.

As a tenant, the information shared here could only serve as your ‘guide’ to determining whether or not a Proper Notice To Quit has been served on you by your Landlord.

To issue a NOTICE TO QUIT, certain key factors must be put into focus:

1. There Must Be A Proper Description Of The Tenant

This is one aspect that is generally overlooked by landlords. For your Notice To Quit (NTQ) to become valid, the landlord must describe the tenant with all sense of certainty. The landlord cannot be referring to ‘JOHN JAMES’ by writing ‘Jay Jay’ on the notice. With this error, a Notice To Quit is sure to fail in the law court.

2. Description Of The Premises

Sending a Notice To Quit to the address of the tenant is totally different from the particular premises occupied by the tenant. Thus, where a tenant is occupying a 2 bedroom apartment, that fact must be captured in the Notice to Quit, otherwise, such omission or inaccuracy could render the Notice to Quit invalid, e.g. of a Valid Description of the premises:

‘MR. ABU CHIBUZO
Flat 1 (2 Bedroom Flat)
10, ABC Street, . . .’

To access the FULL REPORT (For Free) on this topic and other law-related topics by our Company, kindly visit:

www.naijalawinfo.com

To your great success as you drink from the fountain of Nigerian Laws.

Kind regards.

'MyLawyer'
For: The NaijaLawInfo Team