+ Reply + New Job/Topic

Topic: UNEMPLOYABILITY OF NIGERIAN GRADUATE

UNEMPLOYABILITY OF NIGERIAN GRADUATE

Please can anyone in the house kindly explain to me what nigerian employers mean when they say nigerian graduate are unemployable.
    Thanks!
    Nothing is Impossible!

Re: UNEMPLOYABILITY OF NIGERIAN GRADUATE

When you hear Nigerian employers say that Nigerian graduates are unemployable, it simply means that majority of them cannot handle the job they go for. This is true. Last week, I sat on the panel of interviewers in my company and the so-called Nigerian graduates filed in one by one. Out of about eighteen people we interviewed, we managed to get 3 who are 50% employable in the field they applied for and we needed 4 new staff. Most of them were timid, could not make clear and clean simple sentences in response to verbal questions. They are not even in tune with what is happening in the country. Most done listen to the news or read wide for knowledge.

Now, how would an organisation engage such graduates - seeing that they will not be able to handle various tasks and assignments in the office. Now, if they are not able to handle tasks within the office, how on earth will the company send them out for out-of-office representations.

One good thing they were good at is asking for fat salaries and allowances. How can a none professional graduate with four years experience be insisting on a minimum of 100k at initial entry. Every company is not a bank or oil company. Pity. They still have a lot to learn. A company that pays you 100k for a will likely increase it to a minimum of 120k after confirmation. When you hear people earning much money, they didnt start there. You have to prove capable before the company rewards you.

I will advice Nigerian graduates to at least get their communication skills straight. This is where employers start to assess prospective employees.

I am the apple of God's eye.

+ Reply