+ Reply + New Job/Topic

Topic: Jos Massacre?Give NYSC a chance!

Jos Massacre?Give NYSC a chance!

My thoughts are with the families of the slain corpers. Its sad and unfortunate!Its disheartening that the government has again failed to protect the people.Taking into account the bigotry that has plagued Jos politics in the recent past,a responsible government is expected to be alert and proactive in preventing such an occurrence.
    That been said, I leave you with a food for thought.Imagine that you've written your final exams in the university,you passed.Then you have to start looking for a job outright without having the opportunity to appreciate the beauty, the diversity of Nigeria. Without the opportunity to jump-start your career with work experience gained during the NYSC year or not to mention the chance of being retained. Often,employers are more comfortable with people they have worked with especially fresh graduates.Many corpers have met with their employers,spouses and other opportunities during this period.
    My take?Lets not throw the baby out with the dirty water. What happened to those corpers, could have happened to the Hausa politician, Ibo businessman,Yoruba lecturer or Birom civil servant resident in the town. Lets be agents of change,one Nigeria! That was the dream of the founders of NYSC!

Re: Jos Massacre?Give NYSC a chance!

probably if one of the slain corpers was your sibling (can even hear u say God forbid) you would not be talking like this

Good talk NKONYEMA
    I am a slow walker but I never walk backwards.

NYSC SHEME IS A SHAM.IT SHOULD BE CRABBED. HUNDREDS OF CORPERS DIE YEARLY DUE BAD ROADS,COMMUNAL CLASHES,POOR HEALH SERVICES IN RURAL AREAS,EXTREME WEATHER CONDITIONS ETC. IT IS WASTE OF TALENTS,LIVES AND RESOURSES.
    CareerSpace: An Online Directory of Employment Opportunities, Career, Jobs and Vacancies.

IN AS MUCH NYSC ALLOWS FOR THE APPRECIATION OF THE BEAUTY INHERENT IN THE COUNTRY'S CULTURAL, ECONOMIC AND POLITICAL DIVERSITY, AND A SMALL( VERY VERY SMALL) AMOUNT OF CORPERS ARE RETAINED AT THEIR PLACE OF SERVICE OR MEET THEIR POTENTIAL EMPLOYERS DURING THE SERVICE YEAR, THE FACT STILL REMAINS THAT THE WHOLE SCHEME HAS OUTLIVED ITS USEFULNESS AND SHOULD BE REPLACED WITH A MORE ENTERPRISING SCHEME.

NOT ONLY ARE THERE RISKS GENERATED FROM THE RELIGIOUS AND POLITICAL INSTABILITY OF THE THE COUNTRY, THE DEPLORABLE HOUSING CONDITIONS IN WHICH OVER 80% OF CORP MEMBERS LIVE, THE PITIABLE AMOUNT (ALLOWEE) WHICH IS BEING PAID TO THEM FOR SERVICE RENDERED TO FATHER, WHICH I AM MADE TO UNDERSTAND SHOULD BE SELFLESS, DOES NOT MAKE THE SCHEME WORTH THE RISK ASSOCIATED WITH IT.

I STRONGLY, I MEAN STRONGLY BELIEVE THAT THIS SCHEME SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO CONTINUE ANY FURTHER

THANKS PATOKE FOR YOUR COMMENTS OVER THIS NYSC ISSUE BUT I DONT AGREE WITH YOU ON DISCONTINUEING THE SCHEME. PRESENTLY,I`M A CORPER SERVING IN KANO STATE AND MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE WITH THE NYSC SCHEME HAS BEEN A VERY BITTER ONE CONSIDERING THE POOR WELFARE PACKAGE AND RISKS I WAS MADE TO PASS TYHROUGH.THE INTENSIONS OF THE SCHEME IS A VERY GOOD ONE BUT IT HAS FAILED IN APPLICATION OF THE RULES GOVERNING IT AND THAT IS WHAT WE SHOULS BE TALKING ABOUT RATHER THAN ASKING IT TO BE SCRAPED. MY PERSONAL SUGGESTION IS THAT THE SCHEME SHOULD BE RESTRICTED TO JUST THE ORIENTATION PROGRAM AT CAMP WHICH SHOULD BE EXTENDED TO 2 MONTHS OR MORE AND AFTER THEN EACH SUCCESFUL CORP MEMBER SHOULD BE GIVEN A STIPULATED REASONABLE AMOUNT OF MONEY TO START UP SOMETHING ON THEIR OWN.

I REALLY SYMPATHISED WITH THE FAMILIES OF THE SLAIN CORP MEMBERS,INFACT I WAS SHOCKED WHEN I HEARD THIS ANIMALISTIC BEHAVIOUR DISPLAYED BY THOSE PEOPLE.I WEPT UNCONTYROLLABLY WHEN THE CORPSE OF THAT CORP MEMBER IN IBADAN WAS BEING BURIED.
    I HAD SERVED ABOUT 2 YEARS AGO,DO HOUSE KNOW WHY I WILL SUPPORT SCRAPPING OF THE SCHEME.I READ ELECT/ELECT IN ONE OF THIS NATIONAL UNIVERSITIES,ALMOST ALL OF US I MEAN [ENGINEERING STUDENTS] THAT SERVED THEN WERE BEING POSTED TO SCHOOLS INCLDING LAW STUDENTS,WHILE THOSE THAT EVEN READ EDUCATION WERE BEING TAKING TO COMPANIES BECOS IT WAS A MATTER OF WHOM U KNOW............................A BETTER INTERSHIP TRAINIG SHOULD ORGANISED,FOR THE ENGINEERING STUDENTS.

The Jos killings just shows how insensitive our government is. I agree with the adage that whatever is worth doing is worth doing well.The NYSC scheme is a complete failure and so should be scrapped. May God console the families of the slain corps members.

Amen!!!

I am a slow walker but I never walk backwards.

the issue still remains that our Upland brodas will ever remain unparalleled in such babaric acts of killing....check the history of this nation and prove me wrong if u can...at the slightest spark they unsheat there swords and unleash mayhem on there fellow human beings as long as u dont speak their tongue or profess their faith...sometimes they hackdown there own kit and kin too...honestly am totally surprised that the corpmembers are not IGBOs...this is nigeria where anything can happen...DOES THIS NATION HAVE AN INTELLIGENCE/SECRET SERVICE UNIT...if this little pockets of trouble can not be derected in time and nippedin the bud then wat can be done...one day one this our neighbouring nations will even wake up and overrun this nation...

God 4 us all but everyman 4 himself,whomever is slow may the devil take him/her...l advise non indigenes residing in those areas to always be at alert and carry about some protection...it can happen anytime...and something must kill a man...but if u can bring down 10-20 of them(reasonable ones ooh and not the blind,lame,and leperous beggars) before u go down urself thats very ok...l dont see this there genocidal tendencies ever stopping and believe u me u r ur own best security,the police,army and even Mr. President can do nothing 4 u...

corp members from those states that have this inhumane record should be made to serve in there own state so that when it starts they can start having at themselves or corp members should not be posted to such states at all unless the Governors of those states can sign an undertaking to be responsible for the security of these corps members b4 they are posted...nysc is a noble idea and should not be scrapped but improved
    may the power of love overcome the love of power!

+ Reply