+ Reply + New Job/Topic

Topic: Age discrimination

Age discrimination

My heart feel so much pain on the issue of age, while applying for a job mostly when u are fit to do the job and if u did not finish school before u clock 30 due to problems of finance or family.Let me say late education ,does it mean u wont gain employment Nigeria?i no that does not happen abroad.

That has even pushed many people to lie about their age.

Re: Age discrimination

It has even gotten worse, the age limit just continues to reduce more and more, yet more and more graduates are finishing at older ages. Most individuals dont even use their birth certificates anymore, as they are having to sware affidavits. It's crazy and quite upsetting when you see an ad and it reads....... 5 years working experience, with an age limit of 26..... In which country? This our naija?

Employers need to do research, take surveys and be considerate to graduates over this age limit atrocity. It isnt our faults that school calenders were disrupted for one reason or the other, nor the fact that sometimes one spends years at home even after NYSC just waiting for the right job. If only they had employed us when we were fresh graduates, we would have had the said years of experience they are all looking for. If no one employes us, where do they expect us to get the experience from.... Its just ridiculous!!!

I guess all we can do is hope that sooner than later employers become more considerate to the plight of job applicants, by extending age limits, and we hope that they realise that old applicants are just as efficient and effective as young applicants if not even more!

Cheers

I thought i was the only one going crazy over this issue,thanks for ur contribution

i have been having nightmare over this. my friends have been trying to convince me to cut my age just because of this issue. i wonder where we are going to the age palaver. i wonder what the employees are thinking that we should all be bad because we want to work for them. as for me, i will only stick to my age wait for that nice establishment to come and resolve this issue. i also the ministry of labour should wade into this issue, the minister is shouting about fighting for the workers , well, we are of working age and cant seems to find a good job. and he should face his job and not aggravate the tense labour issues i the country
    am a someone with flair for the economy and development of business. i can work with minimum supervision. i have both ond and bsc and ats 2 holder

Thank you for contributing to this topic,i need the voice of those facing this problem to be heard.this has to stop.
    Cheers

+ Reply