+ Reply + New Job/Topic
Page 113 of 205 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114115123163 ... LastLast
Results 1,457 to 1,469 of 2656
Like Tree398Likes

Topic: Shell Recruitment 2012

Re: Shell Recruitment 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Oblongatar View Post
    I totally agree with @lockheeds submissions. You cant get 5 answers right out of five and then do better than someone who got say 17 out of 30. The logic doesn't follow through as the test was time as well as accuracy based. But its not the real bone of contention here. Shell would take the CART (those columns on leadership experience etc), Host community, age as well as performance into cognizance whilst shortlisting people. After that it would be part merit and most man-know-man. Dont ask me how i know.
    Why can't pple relax for once? For someone to extrapolate 15/16, 21/30 into 5/5 for a test with up to 30 questions is simply silly. You could have as well ask of somebody who attempted and got only 1 question. Whatever, that was a post I put up in May. If you had checked well, U would have seen other functions I put then that had to do with age, state of origin, credentials, etc, so don't even get too excited thinking it's only what you scored in the test that matters. All those ones are irrelevant at this time since the selection for SRD might have been completed, suspended or even cancelled.

Oboy nor giv ppl heart attack here o0, which one be "... or CANCELLED "

lol. Frayed nerves. U either called or u not. Its real simple

These posts are quite funny! SHL make use of Sten Scores (standard ten scores)..

From my research experience with SHL, I understand that they report scores in "percentiles", that is, how you performed when compared to other candidates. Every firm will have their own "cut-off" percentile that candidates will need to achieve for each aptitude test. I will assume that for a big firm like Shell, this could be anything between 60th - 70th percentile.

Obviously they will need to arrive at a raw score first prior to calculating the Sten score and then ranking candidates in percentiles. These raw scores are based on "norms". The norms are used to compare the candidates results to specifically selected standards. A norm group is a group of similar others, this could be for example Technical Graduates or Engineering Graduates or Chemical Engineering Graduates, whatever rocks Shells boat I guess.

From this, standard deviations and means of different norm groups are calculated, and used to work out the candidates standard score (Z-score) - In simple terms, a standard score Z is a function of a raw score X. Once the standard score has been calculated, the STEN SCORE can then be worked out. Usually, a sten of 6 to 7 is average, atleast 5 in 30 people might end up with a sten of 6 or 7.

As an example, if 2.3% of students had a Sten Score of 10 (out of 10) - these candidates are in the 97.7th percentile (perform better than 97.7% of the group). There are standardised charts for this conversion.

For More Information on Sten Scores:
    The Sten (standard ten) is a standard score system commonly used with personality questionnaires. Stens divide the score scale into ten units. Each unit has a band width of half a standard deviation except the highest unit (Sten 10) which extends from 2 standard deviations above the mean, and the lowest unit (Sten 1) which extends from 2 standard deviations below the mean. Sten scores can be calculated from Z-scores using the formula: Sten = (Zx2) + 5.5. Stens have the advantage that they enable results to be thought of in terms of bands of scores, rather than absolute scores. These bands are narrow enough to distinguish statistically significant differences between candidates, but wide enough not to over emphasize minor differences between candidates.

-----------------------------
    Anyways, to cut my very long story short, YES - SHL look at right and wrong answers, not just in a very obvious way! Your scores have no business with speed or accuracy, if they did SHL wouldn't advice candidates to "make educated guesses" and "boost your chances" if unsure of the answer will they?

Y'all shouldn't quote me sha, things could have changed. Moderator please delete this post if you find it unecessary!!!

the Storck man, you are so on point with this analysis, esp for shl...yes!

Mehn! See wetin Shell dey cause for boys oh! I can't laugh enough...
    Abeg Shell, calm this tension and release boys for SRD.

LOL, no tension oh!! I just dont understand how most of us call ouselves engineers, and yet produce soo many vague theories. Let everyone turn to God please - speed, accuracy or not its still God!!

Mehn, dis tin is turning to smtin else. U go fear analysis nahh. Pple be busy doing analysis yle shell are about sending mails to doz dat made it to d SRD. Congrats and goodluck in advance to doz dat made it.

Oboy see mind-boggling analysis! I must hail.

Quote Originally Posted by storckTL87 View Post
    These posts are quite funny! SHL make use of Sten Scores (standard ten scores)..

From my research experience with SHL, I understand that they report scores in "percentiles", that is, how you performed when compared to other candidates. Every firm will have their own "cut-off" percentile that candidates will need to achieve for each aptitude test. I will assume that for a big firm like Shell, this could be anything between 60th - 70th percentile.

Obviously they will need to arrive at a raw score first prior to calculating the Sten score and then ranking candidates in percentiles. These raw scores are based on "norms". The norms are used to compare the candidates results to specifically selected standards. A norm group is a group of similar others, this could be for example Technical Graduates or Engineering Graduates or Chemical Engineering Graduates, whatever rocks Shells boat I guess.

From this, standard deviations and means of different norm groups are calculated, and used to work out the candidates standard score (Z-score) - In simple terms, a standard score Z is a function of a raw score X. Once the standard score has been calculated, the STEN SCORE can then be worked out. Usually, a sten of 6 to 7 is average, atleast 5 in 30 people might end up with a sten of 6 or 7.

As an example, if 2.3% of students had a Sten Score of 10 (out of 10) - these candidates are in the 97.7th percentile (perform better than 97.7% of the group). There are standardised charts for this conversion.

For More Information on Sten Scores:
    The Sten (standard ten) is a standard score system commonly used with personality questionnaires. Stens divide the score scale into ten units. Each unit has a band width of half a standard deviation except the highest unit (Sten 10) which extends from 2 standard deviations above the mean, and the lowest unit (Sten 1) which extends from 2 standard deviations below the mean. Sten scores can be calculated from Z-scores using the formula: Sten = (Zx2) + 5.5. Stens have the advantage that they enable results to be thought of in terms of bands of scores, rather than absolute scores. These bands are narrow enough to distinguish statistically significant differences between candidates, but wide enough not to over emphasize minor differences between candidates.
    A very good passage for Dragnet, especially now that folks are calling on them to increase their pool of questions. I hope they find it on time.
    otolorin1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by solidarehome View Post
    Oboy nor giv ppl heart attack here o0, which one be "... or CANCELLED "
    . . . everything is possible.

@EdgarG-lmao. I dey tell u. Dats a confirmed suggestion to dragnet. I weak.

@Edgar, true but don't u think dats hugely unlikely? Just sayn sha... Shell sef na them follow cause all deze long ting...if dem don reply since, all theze plenty msgs 4 don reduce.. God dey!

+ Reply