+ Reply + New Job/Topic
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Topic: My 5 Choices for future employment

Re: My 5 Choices for future employment

what about university of Aberdeen, is it highly rated as compared to RGU when it comes to subsea engineering?

Gee, Thanks fellas!!! I'm really grateful for the intellectually stimulating advice you have all given me. By God's grace, we shall all make it!
    I'm praying about it. I also did a lottle research and a lot of names came out: Texas, Oklahoma, TULSA, RGU etc
    I guess its between RGU and TULSA huh? I'll let you know on what I finally decide. Thank you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Bergkamp
    My Fellow Graduates. I'm in a fix and I need your candid advice. As you all know, we are all looking for the best means of getting employed. Well, I'm unemployed. However, I have been able to secure admission into the following institutions :

ROBERT GORDON UNIVERSITY ABERDEEN: Oil and Gas Engineering MSc;
    UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH FLORIDA, USA: Chemical Engineering MSc;
    CURTIN University Australia: Petroleum Engineering MSc;
    HERRIOT WATT UNIVERSITY (DUBAI CAMPUS): Petroleum Engineering MSc;
    UNIVERSITY OF TULSA, Oklahoma USA: Petroleum Engineering MSc

And now my question: which one of these should I go for, that will guarantee me employment upon graduation, either in that country, or in Nigeria?
    God bless you as you make your honest contribution
    Hello Dennis,

You sure got good admits. Let me give you a brief assessment of each school (Just my opinion)

1. RGU: Good school, good course, but high churn out of graduates! Definitely a good pick because most top multinationals prefer to employ RGU graduates. (with or without previous experience). Even if you don't get employed by a top multinational after your course, there are many oil servicing coys that will be interested in you. If you pick RGU, then be ready to come back to Nigeria after your studies as there is serious unemployment in the UK right now.

2. USF: Not a top engineering school in the US. Not bad if your intention is to proceed for a doctorate degree after your masters. Pick this only if they offer you funding. Otherwise, RGU is a better investment.

3. Curtin: Top Pet Engr school in Australia. Solid course content- most of their faculties have experience in industry so you'll be getting the real deal. If you get a scholarship or funding, you make go for this. You stand a better chance of getting a job in Australia after your program. Engineers are in high demand over there but remember that Aus is miles away from home and visiting Naija might have a lot of implications (especially financially). A good pick if funds permit.

4. Heriot-Watt Dubai: Why Dubai campus? Don't even consider this school. It would be a waste of time and resources. You have better options.

5. TULSA: Top pet engr. school. You will be trained by some of the best in the field. It is a good pick for both academic and industrial career paths. You can proceed for a PhD after your program or go into industry. You will be at the center of where some major oil activities take place. If funding permits, go for it. You can never go wrong.

Remember, it's just my opinion about the schools. One major factor you didn't mention here is your financial capability or if any of the schools offered you funding. To me, that is the greatest determinant of where to head to. If finances permit, Curtin and Tulsa are the way to go. I have an aversion for UK universities so I will leave out RGU though it's a very good school too. Like I said before, just my 2 cents.
    Grace upon grace...I'm favoured.

Dear Sir,
    I wish to apply for this Job.
    Best regards,
    Christian.

Quote Originally Posted by agbaji christian
    Dear Sir,
    I wish to apply for this Job.
    Best regards,
    Christian.
    The job is yours. Come for your offer letter tomorrow.
    Grace upon grace...I'm favoured.

There is no school you attend in the UK or US that doesn't make sense. Its not all about school most of the times. Its about what you know, your age, experience and God.

when it comes to petroleum engineering-in the UK its Heriot Watt, then any other school follows. except if its another course. Even Heriot Watt Geosciences make sense die. forget about name.

As for Nigerians not getting jobs. i think it's every where. Almost all the europeans at HW have one or two jobs waiting for them already, some even have up to 3-offers. I mean it 95% of europeans in Heriot Watt . Nigerians are the only people facing such huddle and i think its happen other schools aswell. UK government is saving jobs for its citizen and i don't blame them.

Even people form Libya Kasakhstan, Angola, Ghana, down there have jobs waiting for them in their respective countries but Nigeria is the only country facing this problem.
    why, cos we dont have our national law and NNPC functioning correctly. Nigeria is a country where foreigners dominate and dictate the tune while the citizens are just 30% or less. NNPC that suppose to go into full fledge exploration and production is just there idle and collecting royalties unlike, REPSOL, Petrobras, Saudi Aramco, etc

I repeat its only Nigerians facing this problem presently!!! I stand to be corrected.

GOD HELP US.

@: enjayjude, pardon me if I sounded a tard too harsh. We are just trying to advise a comrade. I believe your story, but dat is just one of many hundreds. I do not need to read up on RGU, I know it inside out. All those reports about employability rating is just for marketing purposes. The real issue about MSc is age, experience and God. Geosegun has spelt it succintly: NIGERIA!! It is an issue for MSc holders from Nigeria to get jobs anywhere in the world, so undertaking an MSc is not an escape route from employment.
    The guy who was "bidded" for must have had something which made those companies want him; experience, age on his side etc. For Exxonmobil, he would have done aptitude tests and professional tests before facing an assessment center. So to say he was "bidded" for is cutting a long story short and putting gloss on the painting. Companies do not just come to your class and handpick candidates, you must pass through the process and only very few make it.

@poster: I am sure you know what you want to do; do want you feel strongly about and may God help your choice.

As for me, pple shd start learning to look at the market to evaluate the how lucrative, relevance and highly sougth after a course is b4 embarking to study it. A course like welding engineering that is unique,very relevant to oil and gas and other industries(air plane,ship , robot,automobile repair and manufacter) and very few qualified personnel(Bsc or Msc welding) is a very good example. U tell me if age,experience will count in dis case.what u need to kn is it is cos there r too many pple roaming d street with say Msc petroleum engr from overseas that makes it difficult to get jobs and also considering it being streamlined.
    God is d main factor but u must look b4 u leap.

@Dennis Bergkamp

I am presently doing my masters in the UK and what I see around me is not encouraging at all. If u have the resources and visa to go to the US, u better do. I hear Tulsa is a very good school. Even though a masters program in the states will take a longer time, it will definitely pay off better than the UK.

Dont ever think of stepping foot in this UK if u need a job after graduation. As for O&G from RGU, most of the posters encouraging u are either wrongly informed or are basing their judgment on past fairy tales. That course annually churns out thousands of graduates (especially Nigerians) that the certificate no longer has the value it used to have just a couple of years back. Moreover, the UK as a whole is still struggling to come out of their economic crises hence there are no jobs for foreigners (especially Nigerians) here.

Fact is that today, over 90% of Nigerian Msc graduates who remain here in the UK are doin odd casual jobs that have nothing to do with their hard earned certificates. I dont know much about the other schools you mentioned.
    Goodluck!

@Dennis,
    If I were you, I better listen to the words of wisdoms from those who have present experience. who they hell is comparing US schools and UK schools. The UK's economy is in a serious mess and they are interested in saving jobs for their citizens. Don't even think UK now if you intend to embark on self sponsorship. The US has no rival in terms of opportunities for you after graduation.

verbum sapienti
    S

The responses here reminds me of what the term critical analysis represents. Everybody here is right depending on how you look at it.

I've got the UK PG experience and must tell u guys from all I have observed, US seem to have a well programmed PG schedule.
    That does not rubbish UK schools because the system is still what it has always been known to be.

As for jobs,it is not guaranteed anywhere....but it can be found almost everywhere!

@Ozone republic,
    I totally disagree with you. even if Job can be found anywhere, it is more guaranteed in US than in UK.Despite your 2 years UK post graduate study experience, I am telling you that your few years experience of the UK system in terms of Job opportunity after graduation is almost out of date. Please I am not in any way insulting you. but I want you to know what is obtainable now in the UK. So even 1 year is enough for changes to occur in a system you very well know.Just within the last 4 months a lot has already happened.
    let me give you a little bit of Info,
    Do you know that the UK government is working on scrapping the post study Work Visa (Tier 1) even though it is yet to conclude on that now? This means that they want you to leave the country as soon as your Tier 4 General PG or UG visa expires.
    Do you know that the UK government charges excessively to every company that has the license to hire international students?
    This is a measure to actively discourage the company from going for international students particularly in technical and engineering fields except you have got an exceptional skills found missing among
    1) The UK citizens
    2) The EU citizens
    With these measures, why do you think an employer will go for an international student and sponsor him when he can easily hire a UK citizen and pay nothing? At least every one wants to minimize cost to attain the same objectives. I am not trying to be a pessimist by these illustrations, I am only trying to face realities on ground now. Although I know that exceptions always exist for individuals but that's on rare occasion. When the number of realities on ground far out numbers the exceptional cases, then it is important to face facts.
    cheers!
    S

I totally agree with EL-AZAR; He has said it all.

Yes we know that there are jobs everywhere but the fact remains that there are more jobs in some places than others. If anyone intends getting a job after graduation, there are no jobs for nigerians in the UK presently; run for ur life!!!

+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast