+ Reply + New Job/Topic
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: My 5 Choices for future employment

My 5 Choices for future employment

My Fellow Graduates. I'm in a fix and I need your candid advice. As you all know, we are all looking for the best means of getting employed. Well, I'm unemployed. However, I have been able to secure admission into the following institutions :

ROBERT GORDON UNIVERSITY ABERDEEN: Oil and Gas Engineering MSc;
    UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH FLORIDA, USA: Chemical Engineering MSc;
    CURTIN University Australia: Petroleum Engineering MSc;
    HERRIOT WATT UNIVERSITY (DUBAI CAMPUS): Petroleum Engineering MSc;
    UNIVERSITY OF TULSA, Oklahoma USA: Petroleum Engineering MSc

And now my question: which one of these should I go for, that will guarantee me employment upon graduation, either in that country, or in Nigeria?
    God bless you as you make your honest contribution

Re: My 5 Choices for future employment

If visa, money etc r not issues, i think Robert Gordons wld b d best 4 ur course cos for oil n gas it is one of d best in the world. As for after skol job there, i really have no idea cos of uk stuffs but wit deir degree, u ve a higher probability. If not RGU, mayb USF.
    Goodluck as u decide.

Mr Dennis Bergkamp, I don't know where to start from for you. However, I will say this; it is imperative for most prospective MSc students to have some work experience prior to undertaking a masters degree as this is important firstly for your course and secondly for any prospective employer. You should also understand that with the economy of the world's developed economies just coming out of recession, the tendency is for most of these countries to reserve their jobs for their own citizens.
    Whatever your decision is my dear friend, I will wish you all the best.
    ~Guy, take care.

dennis pls i need ur mail addy we need to talk i need ur advise asap [email protected]. thanks

hi if u need my candis advice go to one of the schools in d US as for RGU it is a good school but in d Uk presently there are no employment opportunities i know bcos i finished frm university of Aberdeen and the Uk now is not attractive at all.The US universities are better there are more opportunities out there and in one of d petroleum courses.Also Heriot -Watt is also a beautiful choice but in all of these seek God's guidance and he will direct ur steps.Stay blessed.

sorry i mean candid advice.take care

A Petroleum engineer from RGU is a hot cake, any time! Most of these giant oil coys, like Exxon and the rest, do go there to pick graduates, even before they r done with their degrees.
    I am what I am just by HIS Grace! . . . The Future is Bright; The Future is Me!

@enjayjude: How can you be so sure of what you are saying It's not as if RGU graduates are handpicked before they graduate. Dont say things you cant defend.

What do you need the masters for? If you got no real reason, please forget it for now and go and get some good work experience.

Dennis, Hmmmmm......dont think i want to be in ur shoes. But to say the truth, i think US universities have more to offer and my heart went out to Tulsa immediately. I am a graduate of heriot-watt Univ (Dubai Campus), and i wont advice anyone to go there. The opportunities are not just there (In my class no Nigerian got employed there, in the next class, only one got). UK universities are out for our hard earned money as can be seen from unknown, obscure UK universities rushing to Nigeria to give on the spot admission. ITS UR MONEY THEY WANT NOTHING ELSE!! Another advice, in order not to be disappointed wherever you are going to, dont go with the mind set that you must get a job there, go first and get the knowledge and certificate, and God willing, afterwards you will get a job. Hope this helps.....

@Dennis Bergkamp; these advise ar wonderful but look inward, do u really av yrs of experience? graduating with Msc can not guarantee u ar good job cos u're more or less a trainee even with ur Msc.
    pls, if need be get experience b4 u further...d choice is urs.
    N

@Manzizu: Can U be more gentle in Ur approach, instead of thinking I cant defend what I just said? I have been in the industry and I know of many examples. I know of a case where Exxon and Agip recruitment staff contacted a guy in RGU even before he finished his Masters programme and more or less "bidded" for him. He chose the highest bidder at the end of the day. Quite a number of young guys in Exxon smoothly made it there cuz they attended RGU. I even have friend that had his first degree in Petro Eng from the University of Tulsa but is gunning for his second degree from RGU!
    Please read up on the school and check out itz rating and employability-upon-graduation rating.
    I am what I am just by HIS Grace! . . . The Future is Bright; The Future is Me!

Go for RGU. Though your chance of getting employed in the UK is very slim, it is still better to do your M.Sc there cos among the lot you mentioned, RGU has got a higher pedigree - It will speak for you at the appointed time!
    Goodluck!
    No One Will Know You Are Honest Unless You Give Out Samples!

+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast