+ Reply + New Job/Topic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Topic: Manchester Vs Sheffield: Control Systems

Re: Manchester Vs Sheffield: Control Systems

this is an interesting forum. For anybody that will be coming to UK, the choice of course is very important and much as the school is. The major issue is what Loconso has raised, how and where do you want to use the certificate after your studies. truth be told, most companies here are not ready to offer international students jobs except for those that are "exceptionally brilliant" and when I say brilliant, i am not talking about just graduating with distinction from a UK uni but the sense of application of whatever you know, skills and work experience are the major things that can fetch you job here. before leaving home pray to God to lead you and make sure you have plans B, C, D and if possible E so that if you can"t get an offer in the UK, you can go back to Nigeria or somewhere else where you will find expression for what you know and capable of doing. Wish everyone all the best in all our endeavours

Quote Originally Posted by olusayo4 View Post
    Hi All,

A PTDF Scholar Here.

I am having a hard time choosing between Sheffield and Manchester for MSc in Control Systems Engineering. Pls, Ur advice is deeply needed asap. Thanks a million.
    @olusayo4 Which university did u settle for

I have to make the same decision! However I observe that Sheffield has a module "Embedded control systems" instead of Manchester. Is that right?

Quote Originally Posted by loconso View Post
    Firstly, I hope the initiator of this thread will pardon my hijack of it mid-way.

I request suggestions from intellectuals reading this thread.

Background info: I plan to go for a sponsored MSc study. I have BEng in Elect/Elect with a 2 years experience in upstream Oil & Gas sector. I 'love' (for lack of the right word to express my interest) Control Engineering and all it stands for, what it entails and it's future prospects. At the same time, I'll like to take advantage of my experience (if possible). I applied to HW (MSc Pet Engr) & Uni of Manchester (Adv. Control and Systems Engr) and I'm awaiting their admission decisions.

It is also imperative that I put Nigeria in the scheme of plans (since there is no Post-study Work visa in UK anymore).

Questions:
    1. How lucrative is Control Engr in Nigerian Economic context?
    2. Please list 3 or more companies that employ control engr, with good pay in Nigeria (excluding the Oil & Gas Drilling & Processing companies b/cos they can practically hire and train any engr making it more competitive)
    3. In the light of the above, what would you do?

PS: Apologies if I bored you with this long epistle. I just want to be sure I have the right info to aid my decision(s). I count on your sincere & honest contributions.Thanks

As per ur question regarding companies that employ control engineers, if u r familiar with Engineering design companies (both oil firms and oil and gas servicing firms) all design companies employ Instrumentation and/control engineers. What im not sure of is if the module in the universities mentioned has an aspect of instrumentation in it cos as far as i know, instrumentation and control engineers are as much in demand as any other engineer in any design firm.

Quote Originally Posted by olusayo4 View Post
    Hi All,

A PTDF Scholar Here.

I am having a hard time choosing between Sheffield and Manchester for MSc in Control Systems Engineering. Pls, Ur advice is deeply needed asap. Thanks a million.
    Studied at the University of Manchester - Advanced chemical engineering. the school is great and has a high standard. I had friends who did control systems and its serious work. Cant say about Sheffield buy as far as Manchester is concerned, you will learn and work your self out to earn that degree cos there is n cutting corners. the final choice is still yours.
    All the best

When it comes to naija, no one shud go for Manchester for the fact they don't have instrumentation engineering module and signal processing( the core courses in oil and gas). Shiefield has signal processing but I don't know abt instrumentaion engr.

You guys should better look for universities having the Instrumentation engineering where you can learn many software that borders on the course and then you are good to go. Control engineering involving robotics and artificial intelligence is meant for advanced country not thirdworld.

i think the university of huddersfield is very good as long as instrumentation and control is concern in the oil and gas industry.
    plz i want to know if the ptdf scholars have gotten there sponsor letter from PTDF. i am having difficuties

i think the university of huddersfield is very good as long as instrumentation and control is concern in the oil and gas industry.
    Modules include:
    - Embedded Controllers
    - Computers in Control
    - Modelling of Electromechanical Control Systems
    - Signal Processing and Analysis
    - Process Measurement and Control
    - Manufacturing Systems Automation
    - Dimensional Measurement
    - Project Management
    - Planning an Advanced Technical Project
    You will then undertake a Major Research Project which is supervised by a member of staff. Many of our staff are internationally recognised experts in their field. Every effort is made to obtain an industrial based project, but all projects are real and relevant.

plz i want to know if the ptdf scholars have gotten there sponsor letter from PTDF. i am having difficuties

Does anyone know if the module embedded control systems is ONLY part in Sheffield's syllabus or Manchester has also a module that include this knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by tribedan View Post
    studied at the university of manchester - advanced chemical engineering. The school is great and has a high standard. I had friends who did control systems and its serious work. Cant say about sheffield buy as far as manchester is concerned, you will learn and work your self out to earn that degree cos there is n cutting corners. The final choice is still yours.
    All the best

have u being giving your ptdf award letter. I differed my admission last year and have not heard from ptdf though i have writing them. I need and urgent replay.

Quote Originally Posted by benelli View Post
    Does anyone know if the module embedded control systems is ONLY part in Sheffield's syllabus or Manchester has also a module that include this knowledge?
    Hiya!
    I was in your shoes a year ago stuck between Sheffield and Manchester. I have chosen Sheffield and I am enjoying every bit of it. The embedded systems you saw on the Sheffield website has been revised to include fault diagnosis, prognosis and systems reliability. We have, arguably, the best control systems engineering in Europe and this is attested by industries preferring Sheffield engineering graduates to that of any other school in the UK.
    I hear stat reports putting research in Sheffield's Engineering to be at par with that of Cambridge in only 10 years. Now, such reports do not exist for Manchester.
    Come! You will not regret it!
    Patience is a Virtue

I majored in Control system from Uni East London.. I can tell you that there is nothing like a uni where the control & instrumentation is designed to meet with employers specification without doing further studies after school.

Some uni ve their big names but what you should really be looking out for is the modules that they are offering. Any control/instrumentation course where you don't make use of a PLC and Data acquisation (SCADA) is not worth it. because sooner or later after school you will be running arroung looking for training centres to trianing on them.

I have did an extensive research into this and i must say to you that Uni Salford is a better place to acquire these skills.

Wow,i luv dz tthread....plz every1 abroad in dz U.K schlz should share their experience 2 aid aspirin scholars.....i was recently awarded a scholarshp by NITDA...i already v admissions to read Wireless Communications in University of southampton though i m still waitin to hear from UCL (Telecommunications), Sheffield and Bristol....how good is Southampton in EE Engineering courses compared with dz other schoolz...Will be happy 2 hear ur thoughtz...thnkz

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12