+ Reply + New Job/Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Topic: Manchester Vs Sheffield: Control Systems

Manchester Vs Sheffield: Control Systems

Hi All,

A PTDF Scholar Here.

I am having a hard time choosing between Sheffield and Manchester for MSc in Control Systems Engineering. Pls, Ur advice is deeply needed asap. Thanks a million.

Re: Manchester Vs Sheffield: Control Systems

I think Manchester is better.....They've got reputation and their history goes to show they've been there and they're not willing to let go of te top spot in Education. No go dere go join dem fans dey go Old Trafford com forget wetin carry u go dere.....lol....Wish u d best...

ok.
    I was also in a similar situation last year. I chose Manchester instead and I have never regretted the choice I made. Also consider d fact that the school of electrical/electronics engineering of the University of Manchester under which we have advanced control and systems engineering is currently ranked 2nd in the UK.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...nic-electrical.
    All the best in ur choice!

Both schools are good with renowned reputation, but need to correct something here,
    1. In electrical and electronics ranking...Sheffield is ahead(Electrical & Electronic Engineering - Top UK University Subject Tables and Rankings 2011-2012 - Complete University Guide)
    2.In terms of the work load, its Sheffield.
    3. Sheffield has the largest control department in the Uk and a strong link with the induatsry
    4. its the safest place in the uk u can leave in and its all green.

The only advantage Manchester city has is its social life -unbeatable doesn't mean the social life in Sheffield isn't great.
    I was also keen on going to study control in Manchester but i have chosen Sheffield after much research.
    good luck

Both universities are great, but you need to ask yourself what are you looking for, is it solid knowledge of your field of studies or Name? So I am in the position that if you are looking of grounded knowledge on your field as a control engineer Sheffield will be better but if you are looking for “Name” than go for Manchester. But remember Sheffield is on top of the UK university ranking than Manchester for years and still date.

I checked up the ranking which put sheffield above manchester and believe the revelation was shocking...analyse it and you. Will see that manchester ȋ̝̊̅§ better in term of student satisfaction, projects, academics in general...sheifield topped only because of how fast you can get a job because they have a better career developement department.
    I also checked up other academic ranking and manchester was always top...M̶̲̥̅γ̲̣̣̥ advice is manchester, I also spoke to gradutes of the two schools and am convinced manchester is better...a graduate of imperial college also confirmed this...be wise man!

Wow! Thanks y'all for your suggestions. It seems it is 3 to 2 in favour of Manchester but I do av a strong predilection for Sheffield so I will go with Sheffield. Strong Industry ties, rated higher than Manchester, more workload (I love Challenges) etc. Thanks y'all.

Firstly, I hope the initiator of this thread will pardon my hijack of it mid-way.

I request suggestions from intellectuals reading this thread.

Background info: I plan to go for a sponsored MSc study. I have BEng in Elect/Elect with a 2 years experience in upstream Oil & Gas sector. I 'love' (for lack of the right word to express my interest) Control Engineering and all it stands for, what it entails and it's future prospects. At the same time, I'll like to take advantage of my experience (if possible). I applied to HW (MSc Pet Engr) & Uni of Manchester (Adv. Control and Systems Engr) and I'm awaiting their admission decisions.

It is also imperative that I put Nigeria in the scheme of plans (since there is no Post-study Work visa in UK anymore).

Questions:
    1. How lucrative is Control Engr in Nigerian Economic context?
    2. Please list 3 or more companies that employ control engr, with good pay in Nigeria (excluding the Oil & Gas Drilling & Processing companies b/cos they can practically hire and train any engr making it more competitive)
    3. In the light of the above, what would you do?

PS: Apologies if I bored you with this long epistle. I just want to be sure I have the right info to aid my decision(s). I count on your sincere & honest contributions.Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by olusayo4 View Post
    Wow! Thanks y'all for your suggestions. It seems it is 3 to 2 in favour of Manchester but I do av a strong predilection for Sheffield so I will go with Sheffield. Strong Industry ties, rated higher than Manchester, more workload (I love Challenges) etc. Thanks y'all.
    Hey Olusayo4, I read every response with keen interests and congrats on your decision. I looked at Sheffield course contents and I liked the courses on offer (particularly signal processing). Uni of Manchester doesn't have that and it hurts me kinda...Plus Uni of Sheffield has more modules on offer than Manchester. But what I discovered also is that some of the Modules that Sheffield offers are topics on some of the modules at Manchester (what that will translate to in terms of challenges and work load for both schools I can't tell).

However, the plus (as far as I'm concerned) that makes me like Manchester are the modules on 'Intelligence systems & robotics' and 'system Identification and fault detections' (God knows, I wish to learn that). Also, the practical allocations and hw markings will be allotted are stated and detailed Manchester portal. Topics to cover are listed, lecturers to take each courses are listed (and believe me, their profiles are tight), the research being conducted currently there are world class top notch...all these info and more are right there on manchester website for all to see. The same cannot be said of Sheffield...Like they say, if u've got it flaunt it....why won't they show some of the things they do, other than telling me about Laboratory of 'Airbus' (I've forgotten that world-class coy so don't quote me...lol). Are students allowed to work in that lab. Are lecturers ready to go extra mile to stimulate thinking and why can't I read info or contacts about their lecuturers. I had a phone conversation with a prof at Manchester and what I discover is dt (tho uncommon, but taught students can b allowed to participate on a current research outside of project u will eventually do)...Believe me, if I choose control eventually, Manchester is comparable with Georgia Tech, CalTech, Uni of California, Virginia, Alberta, Calgary etc etc that have good control courses. Go to Sheffield anyway, so that we can exchange ideas if we ever meet (online or offline)...lol...cheers bro and all the best with your decision.

Manchester all the way!

I have already got my CAS from UoM in MSc Advanced Control $ Systems Engineering
    Greaty007 likes this.

@loconso..Hmmm! Nice questions you've raised in your penultimate post. These are questions that I've been pondering upon for the past week. How lucrative is control engineering in Nigeria, really? I'll just proceed to the UK in the hope that my 'good grades' will open doors for me, home or abroad. Besides, Control engineering has always been my dream. I suggest u follow ur dream bro.

@laz M̶̲̅ε̲̣̣̣̥ too...though for telecommunication engineering

@laz n mykeyzee: getting a CAS in UoM is the easiest thing. either way every1 would get a CAS to apply for visa

+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast