+ Reply + New Job/Topic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Topic: 2nd Class Lower and Age Discrimation. WHAT SHALL WE THEN SAY?

Re: 2nd Class Lower and Age Discrimation. WHAT SHALL WE THEN SAY?

Even if u have 2.1, u still have to prove to them that ure employable. We must realise that no company is a father Xmas. They want to use u also. You have to be relevant.
    B

Quote Originally Posted by montedo
    @dynamic fellow, where were people refused? Was it based on both age and grade or one of them? Just got curious cos ur post wasnt realy complete. Tell the house so that those above 26 will not waste their time applying to such a company. It was good of u to say it the way it is.
    According to Chams (that was the company realy) you fall short of one, u fall short of all.either of the two disqualifies u. meanwhile, its not only Chams.
    I av a gud friend, one of our very own on dis forum. he scored high but was not invited for cadbury interview. on calling gbenga.alonge, the man tel am point plank say "na age". my friend was 27 in may, cadbury called in june.
    SEE LIFE

@bawasho... exactly wat hapened day 1 chams interview. the guy is 29, 4rm same OOU, but i no sabi d course. he was literarily "shown the way out".
    @montedo, dats the trend almost everywhere now.
    Age has become a source of sorrow 2 many.
    Anyway, come wat may. we shall all get there.

One luv!

@dynamicfellow, i hope this chams guys will pay u guys well oh! Imagine multiple interviews consecutively, na wa oh!
    B

From the big picture, it's the situation of the country that led to this huge grade/age discrimination. If there was enough job for all, it would have been a different story. But if the likes of Dele Momodu, Gani Fawehinmi etc could not be stopped because of grade then no one can stop you.
    While waiting for the big jobs in the blue chip firms, you should also consider the small jobs that can offer you some experience (at least) and get you beyond the graduate entry level.
    Guys i no say e n easy but if there is a will there a way.

Thank you Megaster,

No employer is out there to witchhunt any1 but the number of graduates being churned out every year is scary. All the requirements they have is basically a way of shortlisting before the actual shortlisting.

With the private universities graduating under 21's every year, do u think those fresh from yard ones have more to offer or less?

In an ideal society, everyone would be given a chance. The operational word id ideal.

I completed my NYSC @ age 27yrs
    I have a B.Sc in Geology(2:1)

During my job search days(months and even years) I wrote aptitude tests with diff companies in different sectors: Oil and Gas, Banking, Telecom, Insurance,(I am presently in the Oil industry),I discovered several factors that facilitated my being selected or not being selected for test. Top among them GRADE and AGE

To stand a good chance of being called for an aptitude test:
    -Have atleast a 2:1
    -Be of young age: less than 26 or at most 27

It might interest you to know that a Psycology graduate with a 2:1 or 1:1 from a kogi state or Ebonyi state uni stands a better chance than an Economics or Accounting graduate with a 2:2 or 3:1 from U.I or UNN.

I am not ruling out the place of God's favour but it's only but a few that receive such.
    AND LET NO ONE DECEIVE YOU, YOU CAN STILL GET A VERY GOOD JOB WITHOUT KNOWING EVEN A GATE MAN IN THE COMPANY.Peolple use lack of connection as an excuse for their failure to secure a job.

@supereagle you are right.one can still get a good job without knowing anyone in a company.its all by Gods grace.

may God help us in this country but come to think of it chams have our c.v and still invited those of us that pass the test for an interview when they knew that we actually had 2.2 only to tell us at the point of interview that we can no longer continue in the recruitment process and the most annoying part of it was that those of us that travel down to lagos for the interview from port harcourt was never given any money to cover our transport

i am a 3rd class holder. belive me it was'nt funny initialy but i'thank God for where i am now and where i'm heading. i'm currently running my PGD in Unilag. brace up brothers
    THA BOSS

1 THING I BELIEVE IN LIFE IS DAT, GOD CANNOT LEAD YU 2 WHERE HE WILL LIVE YU......................F...........K 2.2

Quote Originally Posted by Supereagle

It might interest you to know that a Psycology graduate with a 2:1 or 1:1 from a kogi state or Ebonyi state uni stands a better chance than an Economics or Accounting graduate with a 2:2 or 3:1 from U.I or UNN.
    True talk my brother. do i tel u where i finished from? @gzl... i believe we are still gud ambassadors of our great skul.

One luv!

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12