+ Reply + New Job/Topic

Topic: How I Scaled a Job Interview when I was the least qualified Applicant

How I Scaled a Job Interview when I was the least qualified Applicant

Early 2009, on a wednesday, desperately in need for a job, I came across a job vacancy for a Safety Officer, with an interview to hold on friday (in two days time). I hardly knew the first thing about industrial or company safety, let alone the job responsibility of a Safety Officer (at least I knew he has to see to the safety of workers). More so It was my first likely job interview invitation. I decided to give it a try, with the help of some encouragement from a friend (I remember him saying, "You can do it, if you want to").

I had less than two days to tune my CV to look a bit safety qualifying, to submit and prepare for the job interview. With a B.Eng in Petroleum Engineering, 6 months industrial training (IT) in an Oil and Gas Depot (Dee Jones Petroleum & Gas- Downstream Operator Company), supplemented with an initial 3 months IT at Elf Petroleum Nigeria Limited (EPNL) and of course, one year construction experience during my National Youth Service corps -NYSC- I managed to build a curriculum vitae that could sell me, to my potential employer, as a Safety Officer.

My CV got to the company that same day as a late entry and my application was accepted. Then it was time to get educated on company safety policies, precautions and what ever I could imagine of the possible knowledge of a Safety Officer. The internet was the right place to go, so I went to the nearest internet cafe, then to Google search page and began my research. I printed every content I found useful until I was near satisfied to have acquired substantial information. By the time I left the internet cafe with my document, it was around 7:45pm, wednesday. I did some reading for about 90 minutes before calling it a day.

Ready for The Job Interview
    On Thursday, I revised my materials and got ready for the job interview. Simply and Neatly dressed in my shirt, trousers and tie on Friday morning (there was power failure and I was broke enough not to take my suit to a dry-cleaner), I was sitted at the reception with about 18 other well dressed gentlemen and ladies on suit; some rehearsing their safety manuals and others waiting to have a good time with the interviewers. The job position was meant for two safety officers, so about 17 of us were destined to be disqualified.

I did my best to have a good interview session with the three-man interviewer. I could very well remember some of the questions I was asked and how I answered them. Let me share two that I found more interesting with you. Though not in exact words but it's just about that.

Question One: What role are you to play if you are offered the job as the Safety Officer?
    While there are more technical job descriptions of a Safety Officer, I began by saying that among every other role, the major duty of a safety officer is to educate workers on safety precautions to take at every possible situation, since safety officers can't always be at the right place at the right time, the call for environmental and industrial safety is in the hands of every individual..
    Before I could go on I've unconsciously said what the interviewer wanted to hear. Then came the next question.

Question Two: If you are in the field, and one of the workers suddenly slumps, you have no Idea whether he is alive or dead, what will you do "at that instance" as a Safety Officer in the field?
    While responding to the question, I mentioned using mouth to mouth respiration to revive the victim and I was asked to describe the process. I was about to round off my description when one of the interviewers cut in and said, "what about the nose?". I forgot to mention that I'll have to pin the nose before breathing into the victim, but I quickly added that to my description pretending to be aware. I told him I was about to mention it before he cut me in but actually I had no idea until he reminded me.

I didn't read any of these questions and answers from the materials I gathered. My response was purely based on a laymans' knowledge.

I was contacted about one week later that I have been selected for the job. It was unbelievable.

Now! The tragedy of The Story
    I know you'll be expecting this to be the part where I tell you how I finally started my new job and on my way to the top but it didn't turn out that way. Not all stories end with the hero riding on a horse to victory. The company promised to send me an appointment letter soon after. But I waited to no avail. Each time I contacted them, their response was that they were trying to put some things in place before my appointment. It was after a few more weeks that an insider who felt some compassion told me the real story. The nephew to someone that matters in the company just got out of National Youth Service- NYSC and needed a job urgently. There just happened to be no other position but the one I earned. So I didn't finally get the job.

But there is still a good side of the story, someone gets to learn. This was my first job interview experience after my National Youth Service (not my last afterwards) and it turned out to be a success: not with getting the job but with gaining an interesting job interview experience.

Points to Scaling your Next Job Interview
    1. Rule number one for succeeding at a job interview- there are no rules.
    2. Preparation is the key to success. It can never be overemphasized.
    3. Don't put limitations to yourself.
    4. You don't have to be a nerd or quote Einstein to make a good interview. Simple explanation is what your interviewer wants to hear.
    5. Don't feel sorry or helpless on the desk. Say what you mean and mean what you say.
    6. Don't treate the interview like it's a do or die affair.
    7. The best qualified candidate is not the one with the best academic qualification but the one with the right attitude. Don't get me wrong academic qualification does matter but you need more than that to succeed in a dynamic world where only the fittest survives.

Source: http://www.afterschoolafrica.com/2011/01/how-i-scaled-job-interview-when-i-was.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&ut m_campaign=Feed:+blisscareer+(Career+Building)

Re: How I Scaled a Job Interview when I was the least qualified Applicant

I am motivated by your post, your optimism inspite of the setback brought tears to my eyes.

lovely piece. God bless u so very much. i continually check on this piece becomes a part of me.

lovely piece. God bless u so very much. i continually check on this piece becomes a part of me.

this a good one and assuredly, a lesson is learned

please explain

+ Reply