+ Reply + New Job/Topic

Topic: PREPARING TOWARDS GETTING A GOOD JOB

PREPARING TOWARDS GETTING A GOOD JOB

It is interesting to see how many people are in need of a good paying job in Nigeria and also very heartwarming to find there is a place where such information can be shared between ourselves.

I have read over and over again write-ups and comments from this website and I think I should make my own contribution.

It's not just enough to get a hint of someone “asking for” CVs or recruiting but you also have to make that effort to be considered. I actually stressed the “asking for” because a good number of these multinational companies more often than not, have a glance through the first few lines and then shred the CV – that is someone ‘asking’ to see your CV. A recruiting exercise is much more than that, it actually involves taking time to read through the CV and if you are fortunate, you can be called upon and if not, your CV is kept to file out of interest.

Remember for every hint you get, at least 100,000 graduates got it and they will be racing towards the same goal as you, so how do you stand out? How do you ensure these companies are not just asking for CVs that will end up in the shredder but will do something about it or take note of it for future references? The key is to prepare for the CV submission itself.

Ask any Masters student in the UK and they will tell you they probably have more than 3 CVs, each suiting the kind of company they are applying to. Some jobs want to see your technical capabilities, some want to see what you have to offer them and some want to see if you are a good pick to get into the fold even without considering you capabilities.

Ok, You’ve just graduated from the University of Ibadan, good school, nice academic reputation, but there are like 60 people in your set in your department, and there are 5 other sister departments in your faculty/school. There are also at least 20 other universities churning out graduates who did the same course as you did. Do the maths. Why on earth, as a recruiter, should I pick you over the lot?

This is the question you, as a graduate with no work experience should try to answer and the only way you can do this is through your CV.

I'll put up the essential species needed in a CV depending on the nature of the reactions to this article. See y'all later…
    Try not to become a man of success but a man of value.<br />Quoted by my godfather - A. Einstein

Re: PREPARING TOWARDS GETTING A GOOD JOB

I'll put up the essential species needed in a CV depending on the nature of the reactions to this article. - I don't think you need to wait for any reaction. Just give out what you think/know will be useful to everyone. I guess that's one of the implied purpose of this site.
    No One Will Know You Are Honest Unless You Give Out Samples!

+ Reply