I am surprise to see that Nigerian HND is equivalent to British BEng when I navigated to southpatom solent university site in the search of post graduate courses in Mechanical Engineering. The university offers HNC, HND, Bsc and BNG courses in Mechanical Engineering, and I fell short of words to see that her HND is equivalent to Nigerian National Diploma based on the course content. from all indications, Nigerian HND is gearter than Uk Bsc in Engineering comparing course outline leading to award of Bsc honours in Mechanical Engineering in England to HND in Mechanical Engineering in Nigeria. it is high time, ministry of Education should know what to do on the removal of HND qualification for the implememat BTech. cos our colonial master who sold the qualification (HND) to us percieved it as a lower qualification to Bsc no matter the quality of the course content. Again, Nigerian HND holders can't go straight to masters program in Uk cos of the name HND, whereas in USA, Nigerian HND is considered BEng, Bsc equivalent and be accepted by universities, colleges and polytechnic universities for masters program. Here in Nigeria, same thing happens, Disparity of HND to Bsc as seen by our colonial masters not minding the scope of the curriculum which is same to Bsc. The link below is the fact to back up my findings. Nigerian HND holders who graduated from an accredited Polytechnics will attest to that.
http://www.solent.ac.uk/courses/Technology.aspx