Many job seekers have a tendency to start their job search with the “Ready, Fire, Aim” approach. There are numerous reasons, which include things like just being let go from a current job, the desire to get out of the present employment quickly, or simply a lack of understanding or focus.

Drawbacks of the Ready-Fire-Aim Approach

Although it is good that a job seeker is excited, energetic, and enthusiastic about launching their job search, doing so before being fully prepared is a mistake. Without clearly defining what it is you are looking for, how can you effectively go after it? Here are some of the consequences of this approach:

It is difficult to prepare a winning resume when you cannot define where you are headed. Even a professional resume writer will struggle, and the document will lose some effectiveness, because the content is not geared in a specific manner.

You will spend a lot time reviewing postings and submitting documentation for opportunities that do not really mesh with what you want.

You can quickly become discouraged, as you may find that the recruiters or companies contacting you are doing so for positions that are not a proper fit.

How to Aim Before You Fire

One of the best things you can do before you launch your job search and before you put together a resume is to take a step back. Take some time to really assess where it is you want to be with your career. This includes the type of position, the type of company, the industry you want to be in, and the geographic market you prefer. You need a clear understanding of your willingness to travel, commute, relocate, etc. Please understand, the process could take a few hours for some, but it could also take several days or weeks for those who do not really know what they want.

Once you know where you want to go, it will make it much easier to prepare a targeted resume and for you to conduct a focused job search.

I know, I know, it all makes sense, but you need a new job...like yesterday, right?

I hear you loud and clear, but my advice is still the same. What good is there in paying for and sending out an ineffective resume? What purpose does it serve to spend hours scanning the Internet listings for jobs when you lack any direction? Do you honestly think you will do well on the interview?

Listen, I know you are in a hurry, but take the time upfront to get it right. In the end, it will save you hours of wasted time, money, and energy.

I don't know about you, but I don't have those kind of resources in mass quantity. I need to invest them carefully. And wise people invest in wise council because they know they can't be an expert at everything.

If you aren't sure how to develop your target, find someone who can help you. I understand that funds might be tight, but this is your livelihood we are talking about. Scrimp elsewhere if you have to. You need to get this right.
www.jobvacancyng..com