+ Reply + New Job/Topic
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Topic: HOW DO U DESCRIBE URSELF?

HOW DO U DESCRIBE URSELF?

HI FELLAS, IN AN INTERVIEW THE QUESTION IS ASKED THAT U SHLD DESCRIBE URSELF AND What is your five year plan and what specific steps do u want to take to achieve them? PLS I NEED A REPLY thx!

Re: HOW DO U DESCRIBE URSELF?

Hello Fanny,when such a question is put to you,just everything about urself.i.e your Names,Address,Age,Hobbies & your Education background also stating your likes & dislike.But you should be very careful about stating this by not allowing ur dislike to exceed your likes.As regard your 5 years plans, you alone knows it but the specific step you need in reaching that should be,Honest, Dedication and self discipline.....

SAMMY WHAT YOU STATED ARE MINORS O, ITS NOT DETAILED ENOUGH.

WHEN ASKED SUCH A QUESTION THEY ARE AFTER THE NON BASIC FACTS. THEY WANT YOU TO ACCESS YOURSELF IN A WAY.

DONT WORRY I'M SURE THE HOUSE WILL TREAT IT IN DETAILS AND AT THE END WE'LL ALL ARRIVE AT THE BEST ANSWERS.

GOD BLESS
    Revelation 22: 11-12

Fanny,na wah o!1 in describing urself,u talk about ur strenghts and mostly the things about you that would make them want to employ u.u should also talk about ur weaknesses,but only those ones that could be harnessed into a productive impact.talking about ur five year plan is more like the question of what is ur goal,or what vision do u have for urself in the next five yrs.for some its to get married,build their own house etc.u should know what u want 4rm life.then u can talk about the particular steps ud take to get there.
    cheers!!
    The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it.....

Tbaby,

I think you got it wrong this time. I think you need to introduce yourself first, before talking about the qualities that make you outstanding.

If the interviewer does not know you [name,age,education and experience], it makes no sense telling him your intricate details.

So, in a nutshell, when they ask that kind of question, you need to tell them the basic details about yourself, before proceding to non-basic details [as you called them]. Tell them your name, age, education, [state of origin if need be - as well as other things]. then you can talk about other things about yourself.

Furthermore, interviewers have a way of psychologically assessing the interviewee to get answers that the interviewee would not give verbally. For instance, they could be initially harsh to find out your temprament, they could crack some jokes to know your sense of humor, they could use some tricks to know how well you speak. I think this is another area we need to watch out for.
    Joshua Otuonye C.<br />08037971139<br />Proudly Nigerian

OTUNONYE WE ARE STILL SAYING THE SAME THINGS

IF I MEET YOU FOR THE FIRST TIME WHAT I EXPECT IS TO HEAR YOUR NAME AND SINCE I ALREADY HAVE YOUR CV I KNOW TO SOME EXTENT YOUR STATISTICS.

SO IF I ASK YOU THAT QUESTION I EXPECT YOU TO DOWNPLAY ON WHAT I ALREADY KNOW FROM YOUR CV I WANT TO KNOW THOSE THINGS NOT ON YOUR CV.

LOOK, I HAVE ATTENDED A LOT OF INTERVIEWS AND I HAVE CONDUCTED SOME MYSELF SO ANYTHING I SAY ITS FROM REAL LIFE EXAMPLES (I&#39;M NOT AN AUTHORITY ON THIS BUT I AM JUST BEING SINCERE I SHARE EXPERIENCES THAT ARE PERSONAL TO ME AND AT TIMES STORIES OF FRIENDS - THIS IS PART OF THE UNIQUENESS OF THE SITE COS WE HAVE PEOPLE GIVING REAL EXPERIENCES)

HAVE THIS AT THE BACK OF YOUR MIND WHEN NEXT YOU ATTEND THAT INTERVIEW.

GOD BLESS
    Revelation 22: 11-12

Quote Originally Posted by TBABY
    OTUNONYE WE ARE STILL SAYING THE SAME THINGS

IF I MEET YOU FOR THE FIRST TIME WHAT I EXPECT IS TO HEAR YOUR NAME AND SINCE I ALREADY HAVE YOUR CV I KNOW TO SOME EXTENT YOUR STATISTICS.

SO IF I ASK YOU THAT QUESTION I EXPECT YOU TO DOWNPLAY ON WHAT I ALREADY KNOW FROM YOUR CV I WANT TO KNOW THOSE THINGS NOT ON YOUR CV.

LOOK, I HAVE ATTENDED A LOT OF INTERVIEWS AND I HAVE CONDUCTED SOME MYSELF SO ANYTHING I SAY ITS FROM REAL LIFE EXAMPLES (I&#39;M NOT AN AUTHORITY ON THIS BUT I AM JUST BEING SINCERE I SHARE EXPERIENCES THAT ARE PERSONAL TO ME AND AT TIMES STORIES OF FRIENDS - THIS IS PART OF THE UNIQUENESS OF THE SITE COS WE HAVE PEOPLE GIVING REAL EXPERIENCES)

HAVE THIS AT THE BACK OF YOUR MIND WHEN NEXT YOU ATTEND THAT INTERVIEW.

GOD BLESS

Ok. Thanks. Maybe that&#39;s another lesson for a brother, huh. And wait a minute... You knew I gat an interview for tomorrow? LOL Maybe your suggestion comes at the nick of time.

ABOUT THE FIVE YEAR PLAN [which the poster asked]:
    Anyway, I think it would be an opportunity to hint the interviewer [to a limited extent] the attainable achievement you desire and how you plan to work for them within that time frame.

The person might include things like:

1. IMPROVING YOUR EDUCATION OR CAREER: You might want to tell the interviewer that you intend running a Master&#39;s degree course in a field that is related to your current profession. Or, tell the interviwer that you intend to run a professional program that will improve your career [as well as your worth].

However you present this issue, be sure to let the interviewer know that you will work out a plan to ensure that the course does not affect the job he is offering you - I have met some inerviewers wo have a problem allowing their staffs run other programmes while in office for fear of divided attention.

2. A LITTLE ABOUT FAMILY: Maybe, hinting him/her that you are planning to settle down and start raising a family might do a trick. Try it! Sometimes, it works. But be very careful with your choice of words.

3. CLIMBING THE CAREER LADDER: Nobody wants to stay in a position for a long time. They [most likely] would want to know if you have an ambition of growing in their job.

Jojo
    Joshua Otuonye C.<br />08037971139<br />Proudly Nigerian

A LITTLE ABOUT FAMILY: Maybe, hinting him/her that you are planning to settle down and start raising a family might do a trick. Try it! Sometimes, it works. But be very careful with your choice of words.

Tbaby and Otunonye, both of u are saying the ame thing as regards the question. Every interviewer wants to see the stance u carry with u. Y ask me about myself when u have my C.V in ur hands? Its a way to get the discussion going bcos u are questioned based on what u have said and what u didnt say. So basically I would agree with stating info about myself from my background, educational, work experience, and maybe conclude with my strenght and weakness.
    Moreover, I agree with the expected way of tackling the 5 year plan question that was suggested by Otunonye.

HOW DO U DESCRIBE URSELF?

please I want to advertise on your website

We want to advertise for a vacancy in our office, but I do not know how to go about it.

Hoping a favourable response.

Thank
    Tessy

Nestan Engrineering,
    Thanks for your interest in placing vacancy positions on hotjobs.
    Just the same way u posted this question is the same way you post vacancy opportunities on the site and as i can see from your registration its an enginnering firm. place it under the Unclassified category.

Cheers

I&#39;ve been to one of these job sites and was also told to describe myself,and what my 5 year plan was.I just told &#39;em the truth about myself and what I REALLY wanted to achieve in 5 years.So I&#39;ll advice you did the same; incase you&#39;re asked again,you&#39;ll not need to lie!
    I

Kudos to Tbaby and Otunonye! I think you have done a good job in trying to explain how this sort of question should be tackled when confronted with it at an interview. I would especially like to say a big thank you to Tbaby for all the wonderful advice, opinions and suggestions. This one person I actually look fprward to seeing her views because they more often than not prove to be very insightful and enlightening. Please do keep up the good work and remain blessed.

+ Reply
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast