+ Reply + New Job/Topic

Topic: Drama in Senate as Chukwumerije accuses ministerial nominee of subtle ‘bribery’

Drama in Senate as Chukwumerije accuses ministerial nominee of subtle ‘bribery’

A mild drama and measured altercations occurred in the Senate on Wednesday as Senators’ convention of sparing members of the National Assembly nominated for executive positions the rigours of screening pitched some senators against one another.

Skip to next paragraph

Photo file
    Chukumerije

The senators that lost their composure during the screening of ministerial nominees on Wednesday were Uche Chukwumerije (Abia), Ayogu Eze (Enugu) and Ikechukwu Obiora (Anambra).

Trouble began when in a rare display of anger, Chukwumerije pointedly accused the Sokoto State nominee, Senator Bello Gada, of attempting to get confirmation through subtle ‘bribery.’

He made his views known after the nominee introduced himself as a farmer, former Senator and an ex- member of the All Nigeria Peoples Party.

Gada had said, “I was a Senator from 1999-2003 and during that period I was one of the principal officers. I was the Chief Whip. Now, I am happy I have joined the largest party in Africa – the PDP. I am the Chairman of the PDP in Sokoto State. I am happy to be with the majority. Your Excellency, distinguished colleagues, thank you very much.”

After this, the President of the Senate, Mr. David Mark, asked for questions and comments from the Senators.

Most Senators shouted no! Unknown to Mark, Chukwumerije was waiting for an opportunity.

As soon as he was recognised by Mark to speak, Chukwumerije said, “You are the second eminent person coming here to introduce himself as a member of the PDP. That’s good enough but to go beyond that to add the largest party in Africa, I am not disputing the fact, but I am disputing the timing of the fact and the forum of expression of the fact.

“The implication of that is going out of your way to perform an act of gratification to a majority because you owe something to that majority – you want something from them and this is what I can call subtle bribery.

“Now, if you want to be a minister and you are starting with an act of subtle bribery, how are we sure that when you become a minister, bribery giving and taking will not be a part of your policy?”

His remarks attracted loud protests.

Mark then intervened to restore order. He said, “Please distinguished colleagues, this is democracy. He has expressed his views but the fact of the matter is that we have a practice and we have a tradition.

“And irrespective of what party a Senator or an honourable member of the House of Representatives belongs, first and foremost, he is in his primary constituency which is the National Assembly and that is the basis and if you are in the National Assembly, you must belong to one political party or the other.

“So, saying so does not in any way amount to subtle bribery in any form. It’s just a statement of fact. He was a Senator along with me and Gbenga Ogunniya, Nuhu Aliyu and the minority leader and he was in ANPP at the time. If he has now decided to join a larger party, that is a democratic wish that he expressed.

“Senator Gada, in accordance with our practice and with our tradition, we will ask you to take a bow and go. But remember that when you become a minister, you are minister of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and we expect the best from you among the ministers. Take a bow and go.”

But after Gada and another nominee, Dr. Ibrahim Lame (Bauchi), were asked to take a bow and go, another round of drama ensued when a similar privilege was extended to the third nominee, Mr. Ibrahim Isa Bio (Kwara State).

Chukwumerije, who could not hide his feelings, raised Order 14 of the Standing Orders of the Senate 2007 (As Amended).

Looking at the President of the Senate, he said, “Privileges are rights enjoyed by the Senate collectively and by the member of the Senate individually conferred by the Legislative Houses Powers and Privileges Act cap 208 Law of the Federation 1990.

“Whenever a matter of privilege arises it shall be taken up immediately. My Points of Order, before I go on, may I remind my colleagues that we are not a Local Government Council and must not be heckled. If you have a point, make your point when you want to talk.

“My point of order is my privilege and right as a Senator of the Federal Republic and as somebody who speak on behalf of the people of the country, Nigerians generally and not just the people of my constituency are very much unhappy with this bow and go short circuit.

“By the bow and go short-circuits, you are depriving not just ourselves here but through us, the tax payers of this country of the opportunity to learn from the abundance of wisdom and knowledge of those 109 Senators and 360 House of Representatives.

“The more God gives you, the more people expect from you. The more wisdom you have acquired and the more experience you have acquired as a former Senator or as a former member of the House of Representatives is all the reasons why we should cross- examine you in order to benefit and gain.

“The public whom you have served for these many years are entitled to know and ask the quality of service you are giving to them.”

But Mark responded sharply, saying, “On your point of order, your privilege is not the only one here. We have by practice agreed that when our colleagues or members of the House of Representatives come, they should take a bow and go. By practice, we accepted it. If you read your Rule, the very first rule here is what we have accepted.

“In all cases not provided for hereinafter by exceptional, other orders of practice of the Senate, the Senate shall by resolution regulate its procedure. And we have done that.

“We have regulated our procedure by saying that members of the House of Representatives and Senators when they come before us, because they are our colleagues, I think we can access their abilities. Those who elected us and elected them also can access their abilities. It is not only by this 20/30 minutes discussion that we can access them. I think we are right in taking that decision that because they are our colleagues, they should take a bow and go.”

Eze also took on Chukwumerije by saying, “When we speak in this hallowed chamber, we must be guided by the constitution, by the law and by the respect for customs and for our colleagues.

“I want to reveal this on national television because we are beamed all over the world. And if anybody stands up here to play to the gallery and say that we don’t know what we are doing; that we don’t want to interrogate people and that we are shortchanging the people of Nigeria, we must refer to our supreme document to correct such an impression.

“It is his right to air his view but it is also our right to protect our own integrity. If you are qualified to be a member of the House of Representatives, you are qualified to be a minister in Nigeria and that point must be made clear.”

The President of the Senate ruled him out of order.

Senator Ikechukwu Obiora also joined the fray by accusing Eze of using “ offensive and insulting language” on Chukwumerije and the Senate.

“I do dare say that Senator Eze’s use of the words ‘playing to the gallery’ is denigrating of a status and dignity of Senator Chukwumerije and in fact, the Senate. I do, therefore, say that phrase be withdrawn and apology tendered,” Obiora said.

Again, Mark intervened by ruling him out of order.

Re: Drama in Senate as Chukwumerije accuses ministerial nominee of subtle ‘bribery’

These are the kind of leaders we have oooo.

I wonder when Nigeria will see the Light
    I am a slow walker but I never walk backwards.

+ Reply