+ Reply + New Job/Topic

Topic: Brain Drain; Doctors abandon hospitals, take up jobs in telecoms, banks......

dvt

Brain Drain; Doctors abandon hospitals, take up jobs in telecoms, banks......

[img width=106 height=100]http://libizblog.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/braindrain.jpg[/img]
    Doctors abandon hospitals, take up jobs in telecoms, banks

THE brain drain currently plaguing the nation’s health sector may soon worsen as doctors now prefer to take up juicy appointments in the telecommunications and banking sectors of the economy.

Investigation conducted by the Nigerian Tribune has revealed that at least three out of every five graduates of Medicine and Surgery now eye jobs in telecoms companies and banks.

Further investigation showed that those who do not go for jobs in telecoms companies and banks now prefer to set up health-related non-governmental Organisations through which they could earn hard currencies from foreign bodies.

According to Dr Kunle Obagaye, a Senior Registrar and immediate past President, Association of Resident Doctors (ARD), Psychiatric Hospital, Yaba, Lagos, the action of the doctors was not unconnected with the poor pay package and condition of service of doctors in the country.

“Some of them have seen many senior doctors and consultants wallowing in poverty and they are just being proactive by going for a less stressful but more financially rewarding career,” he added.

When asked to comment on the issue, the Provost, College of Medicine, Lagos State University, Professor Oladapo Obafunwa, said he was not interested in commenting on it.

“I am not inclined to comment on the issue. Thank you,” he told the Nigerian Tribune.

However, a top official of a new generation bank confirmed to the Nigerian Tribune that the company had many doctors and pharmacists-turned bankers on their payroll, adding that they were doing well on the job.

Fellows house members! What do you think in your opinion is the solution to this.

Story Source; Nigerian Tribune
    Monday 14/07/2008
    Do the good you Can while you Can...
    Naijahotjobs.com

Re: Brain Drain; Doctors abandon hospitals, take up jobs in telecoms, banks......

It is rather unfortunate! the economy force people to be in places they would not have been, when given the opportunity. Since the banking sector creates so many vacancies for people from any field of study and their pay is not bad, it attracts so many people. The Engineering graduataes for example make a large % of the bank workers.
    Please house let us change our perception on money, think about our profession and work to move this country forward!

Re: Brain Drain; Doctors abandon hospitals, take up jobs in telecoms, banks......

Guys, I do think that this is really true. This is really due to the fact that unlike every other nigerian graduate the Medical doctors or Pharmacists only needs 'Pass or Fail'. Every other graduate has the phobia of 'First class, Second class ...... rubish' to battle with which gives them an edge over others.

Besides, I still think it is more of people who do not know their purpose or those that actually went to study medicine or pharmacy because they want to be addressed as 'Dr' or 'Pharm'. They really do not know what they are called to do or what the were sent from above to do. I see them as purposeless. I am so sorry to say this.

Infact, they block all the chances for other more intelligent and passionate students who want to get the admission. Many of them go as far as getting themselves involved in manoeuvre just to get the admission.

They went into school, thinking that these so called professional courses are a bed of roses. They think that the moment they are graduates, the jobs would come looking for them and that the title they carry would make money rain on them from all nooks and crannies.

They have failed to realize that there is more to life than just being a Doctor or a Pharmacist. They do not know that Success has nothing to do with the course of Study but with you doing what you like doing and find fufilment in.

Tiger woods said ' I am paid for what I love doing the most'.

Well, I really do say sorry for the Country. Sorry for everything. We are fast going to a point where the Square pegs are being put into a round holes. If medical doctors are given placements in banks and Telecoms then what is the fate of those who actually studied the course; their chances are made slim.

We really need to transit to an era when every course of study is given equal treatment without bias. Where these so called professionals would be made to realize that not everybody can go to school to study their course. If we all become doctors, then who would be their patients. Who would teach, develop drugs (Chemists), entertain and even councel.

See guys, we still have a whole lot to learn for the sake of the future generation. If we do not change these things, there would be no single hope for our future generations. It will get to a time when any Tom, and Harry can go into any sphere all in the name of getting a job.

GOD REALLY NEEDS TO HELP US.......!!!!!!!!!!!!
    He that overcomes shall wear the crown of life.

Re: Brain Drain; Doctors abandon hospitals, take up jobs in telecoms, banks.....

This is an interesting, funny but sad situation. Its no news that Nigerians (WE) love to populate any profession or business so long its raking in money. To refresh our memory lets examine the following scenarios;

1. Back in the days fathers will beat the living day light out of a son that will chose football as a career. Just after Nigeria made its first appearance at the world cup in 1994 and our players (Kanu, Okocha, Celestine. etc) became hotcake in Europe, parent started praying for a son that will end up in the premiership. "dey will even buy you ball sef "

2. Beauty contests was considered obscene by some sect until Agbani Darego won her title. It was recalled that parents even followed their daughters to the next audition (Agbani's sister was present, just in case she can make it a family affair) <<Imagine!!!

3. Entertainment is not left behind. Stand-up comedian is big business today to the extent that we now have comedians who will only make you sad than happy.

Not to bore you with a long list of scenarios just take look around you and you will see that WE are all into the same business at the same time. Can we blame individuals when the government itself is all focused on OIL.

What is a medical doctor looking for in the bank? If at all you consider career hooping, moving to something similar might make more sense. <<What do u think?

If we really want to make a difference, not for our sake but generations to come, then we have to start breeding professionals (Not professors o!). Professionalism starts with commitment.

Bill Gate dropped out of school to stay commited to his dream
    >>I bet you have windows OS on that system<<

I love money too but career comes first.

Cheers

One thing you know is that it it one thing to have a career, it is another thing to have sth to sustain a living.Look this is Naija, and man must chop.So I don't blame them abeg.What if I tell u that yours truly is a qualified VET,I love my career,it is fulfilling,but the truth is it is not as lucrative as bank jobs,or communication,consulting,or other bigger more established careers in Naija.In abroad,it is different thing entirely.But in Naija,you have be realisttic.Pls don't get me wrong O.Veterinary Medicine is very challenging and fulfilling as well as lucrative career.I'm proud of being a VET.But in NAija,the real money comes if u are on your own as a VET.But where is the capital?Therefore, to get ahead and keep body and soul together at least for the main time while getting the capital,one must find sth else to do and you mite as well make money while doing that.Just keeping it real.

May God be with us.Who will then be in the hospital if Doctors should abandon their profesion.

@ Babyog,
    the real issue on ground is that if you look thru the papers U'll find a lot af vacancies for medical docs and pharmacists,So there is job for thsesp in private clinics, tho thet may not be as high paying as Govt hospitals which is fewer comparedto priv.ones.So they still get jobs.The issue is hoe many of them will want to stay and practice.The fact is it the medical profession is an humanitarian profession,so some will stay and treat us. GOG DEY

NIGERIA NIGERIA........... I cant imagine my self studing medicine or pharmacy and choose banking work? they are just after money not after savin lives... life is about fulfilment..
    when u feel like giving up just hang on a little longer

Omonikkie, I quite agree with u. Life is all about fulfilment and nt moni. Even though I am nt a Doctor, can't imagin myself after training to become one now abandons it 4 moni. We r d one who wuld make dis naija wot we want it 2 b. Over there in d developed country they sacrifice life 4 others. May God HELP naija cos we r very greedy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

my brothers we dey GOd hand oooo.our contry is getting underdeveloped everyday.moni no be al,fulfillment,job security,self-actualization are all important.na waoooooooo

I just cant believe dt a reputable Doctor will want to abandone his profession dt he spent so many years to acquire its knowledge for banking job. It's really terrible for counterparts from other countries to get to know dt nigerian professional doctors now opt for banking jobs. In this case, I think we should start looking unto God For help concerning our health.

frakkuba lemme correct an impression, if you think to get a "just a pass" in pharmacy or medicine is a walk in the park, you should better think again, any graduate of pharmacy in medicine or pharmacy, using cummulative to calculate his GP he must have had atleast a 2:1 if he did any other course, for 1 the pass mark for the minimum course is 50% and some courses even have 60% pass mark so for you to succesfully graduate you must have had a minimum of a "c" in most of your courses and some even B, coupled with the fact that must of the courses are usually very voluminous and very very technical. so dont fool yourself, you are not worse off cos you are classified. am sure when you are in school if you fail a course, you carry it over, but do you know that in medicine or pharmacy if you fail a course that you ll repeat the whole year? dont even get me started. besides which course did you read sef that is so difficult to get 2:1 in?

other than that, on the main topic of this discussion, i ll give 3 scenarios. 1. a medical doctor or a pharmacist, takes him 6 years to graduate from school, another 1 year for internship/housemanship, another 1 year for youth service and all the lil time that is wasted in between including strikes, so it may take him 10 years to be qualified to entered the job market. if he was 20 when he entered, he's already 30 years now. and when he starts working now, belive me the most doctors or pharmacists earn well less than 80k per month, belive me, am a pharmacist. after 10 yrs of education? here's another scenario, this guy, he entered to read economics, puts in same or less effort than the guy that reads medicine, graduates with 2:1 in 4 years, does his NYSC the next yr, and is available for the labour market in 5 years, exactly half of what the doctor put in, if he was 20 when he entered, he ll be 25 now, just at the ripe age. he enters a bank rather easily say PHB or ETB and is earning 240k per month exactly 3 times or more what the doctor that spent 10 yrs in the school is doing, belive me cos i work in 1 of those banks too. what is the justification? the very essence of education in the 1st place is to earn a decent living for yourself, when it is not decent by what you studied why dont you think the person can look some place else? 90% of those in the banks didnt read accounting or business related field so why the fuss? in my branch in particular not even 1 person, not even the internal control person. it has nothing to do with decency, its not even only like that in nigeria alone. some of us have come to decide/realise that we have wasted enough of our time acquiring the education and we have decided to stop wasting more time while advancing our career path. cos it ll take a qualified doctor atleast another 10 years to become a consultant and be earning 220k per month(after 20 yrs of education) while an entry level staff at etb takes home around 270k per month. in 5 years he can become a manager if he performs. what is the justification? as my God father who coincidentally is a medical doctor, who also persuaded me to leave the profession if i want would say, medicine is a calling, its like the clergy, unless you are not passionate about it, you dont even have to enter. and you can always walk away before its too late.

u cant blame doctors if some of dem dsyde 2pik banking jobs, luking at d situation of tins in dis country. a fellow house member spoke abt putin career ahed of money, if i may ask ao long will u av 2wait, i beg if a bank will pay gud cash y wnt i leave i can buy bak d xperience leta
    i rest my case 4 now

+ Reply