+ Reply + New Job/Topic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Topic: Shell Recruitment Day- Commercial Graduates 2011

Re: Shell Recruitment Day- Commercial Graduates 2011

Quote Originally Posted by musco4me View Post
    are u sayn dat dz 1s dat were invitd have phds? Lol
    Asa much senior member on the forum and a moderator for that matter, I believeyou should be able to draw very strong and reasonable conclusions from writtenstatements or ask reasonable questions.

Ifyou read my contribution very well, you would see that what I said should notwarrant your follow up question. My statement was not absolute.

Andjust in case you think that PhD degrees are only owned by stricken people or thedegrees are a big deal, then I am afraid you will have to think again. Thereare many Naijas who have PhD degrees in several fields and are less than 29years old. They are also in Naija's labour market struggling for the same jobwith someone like me (or us) with only a good BSc Hons. They are mostlyavoiding lecturing.

Noone can rule out the fact that the world is now more than 1000 times ascompetitive as it was just a few years ago. In the late 90s and early 2000s,people with foreign degrees and even home degrees were begged by many of theseMNCs to come and work. Today, many graduates--both home and away--are roamingthe streets of major cities. Do you know how many best graduating students ofuniversity X or Y are earning ridiculously low wages just because there are noother options? Just some days ago, I learnt that one top guy in my set, butfrom another school, now works with one of those sorry banks and earns a wagethat made me scream when I heard.

Allthese are meant to remind you that companies now have a very large poooool ofexceptional people to choose from; a person with a PhD or a zero class degreeor this or that degree is not exempted from this pool. Even myself, I recentlyapplied for one global job and aced all their tests with a percentile that Ithought would make them come begging me to attend their interviews. After weeksof silence, I finally received a letter which stated that the position had beenfilled...For them to even say why I was rejected became a wahala; they had noreason.

WhileI am not writing to reduce your prestige as a senior guy here, I just thoughtit wise to help you understand that my statement was not and is not absolute. Ionly gave a possibility that could be responsible for the poster's success(indisguise).

No hard feelings. Weare all striving to land good jobs that will make us ebullient.

God will see usthrough when our time/times comes/come, that I very much know.

I remain yourstruly true,

Ighoeve--Bankingand Finance forum.

Re: Shell Recruitment Day- Commercial Graduates 2011

Quote Originally Posted by quintisense View Post
    Thanks Ighoeve. I appreciate your view. But so much still remains unanswered. Ideally, one would expect that anyone who has met the minimum requirements and has been shortlisted should be given a fair chance of showing his/her capabilities. For a multinational company like Shell this is not too much of an expectation. But I like to think that the exercise is still on-going.......My fingers are crossed.
    Yeah, they should be mhen. I agree with your statement, but HR can be dumb, you know?

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12