+ Reply + New Job/Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Topic: Re:unfair remarks from the nnpc boss

Re:unfair remarks from the nnpc boss

The remark made by the nnpc boss on the results of the recently conducted

recruitment exams by his organization have continued to generate reactions among

different classes of Nigerians, while some choose to fault the educational system I

choose to look at the issue more critically. I know the exams were conducted in very

poor conditions starting from the hectic accreditation exercise that left all the

graduates under the hot sun from morning hours till about 5pm in the evening allowing

them to scramble for shelter in the shade, go through fierce struggle to get accredited

while under harassment for the men of the police force attached to the centers in the

name of coordinating the graduates leaving most of them exhausted and hungry, while

some scrambled for food which were sold at more than double the prices others who

couldn’t afford to eat settled for drinks which were also sold at inflated prices. Then

the Philips Consulting commenced distribution of examination materials which took them

till about 5.45pm following which the exams were allowed to commence. Now it was

called a test of knowledge but I think the nnpc had missed it there, first of all the

NNPC should have known that they would not get the best out of exhausted

graduates, they should have learnt from their other counter parts in the oil sector.

SPDC, Chevron etc cannot put up such conditions prior to an aptitude test because

they want the best results, secondly the test comprised of mathematics, English,

biology, physics and chemistry (for the science majors) with about 50 objective

questions to be answered in each subject with a time frame of 30 to 45 mins per

subject, then the question arouse does the NNPC really know what an aptitude test of

knowledge means? Where in the world does one write undergraduate/graduate

examination under the same condition as aptitude test?

It would have been ok if light had been provided for these 2.1 and first class

graduates, whom the NNPC boss was quick to water down based on their performance

in their rather poorly conducted exam, to see the questions they were requested to

answer but surprisingly as it got dark there was no provision for lighting in many

centers across the country, then another phase of scrambling started with these

graduated running to get candles to light up their scripts to answer these questions

while others settled for their nokia torchlight phones to illuminate their scripts, then

the exams ended in the dark of the night with Philips Consulting collecting scripts in

the dark. So I thought how can the NNPC complain on the outcome of such a poorly

conducted exam, should they hide that a company like nnpc should put up such a

shabby recruitment exam which was written in the dark of the night across many

centers in the country with poor infrastructure and organization in most centers, I

know that WACE whose questioner they extracted does not even combine four to five

subjects in one day and still provides for them to be written in the light of day. Then I

went further to look at the case of a young man who had his Msc in the UK and

graduated as the best student and still did not make it, but does it mean that he is

not good based on the NNPC standards, then another that had been bagging awards

right from secondary school till he graduated as the best in his department form the

University and still did not make it, is the NNPC trying to say by their own standard

they are not good? I think this is why the NNPC has been performing under expectation

because of poor conduct. It is not proper to say that a 1st class or 2:1 graduate is

half baked on the ground that it did not perform well in an examination that is different

in conduct to the examination that make such 1st class or 2:1 graduate.

For the record I think the NNPC has not been fair to these Graduates and has sent a

wrong signal to Nigerians and the world at large.

THIS ARTICLE IS TO BE PUBLISHED IN THE NIGERIAN DAILIES, PLEASE ANY REMARKS OR MODIFICATIONS ARE WELCOME FROM PATRIOTIC NIGERIANS

WITH BEST REGARDS

Re: unfair remarks from the nnpc boss

Quote Originally Posted by sharpness counts View Post
    The remark made by the nnpc boss on the results of the recently conducted

recruitment exams by his organization have continued to generate reactions among

different classes of Nigerians, while some choose to fault the educational system I

choose to look at the issue more critically. I know the exams were conducted in very

poor conditions starting from the hectic accreditation exercise that left all the

graduates under the hot sun from morning hours till about 5pm in the evening allowing

them to scramble for shelter in the shade, go through fierce struggle to get accredited

while under harassment for the men of the police force attached to the centers in the

name of coordinating the graduates leaving most of them exhausted and hungry, while

some scrambled for food which were sold at more than double the prices others who

couldn’t afford to eat settled for drinks which were also sold at inflated prices. Then

the Philips Consulting commenced distribution of examination materials which took them

till about 5.45pm following which the exams were allowed to commence. Now it was

called a test of knowledge but I think the nnpc had missed it there, first of all the

NNPC should have known that they would not get the best out of exhausted

graduates, they should have learnt from their other counter parts in the oil sector.

SPDC, Chevron etc cannot put up such conditions prior to an aptitude test because

they want the best results, secondly the test comprised of mathematics, English,

biology, physics and chemistry (for the science majors) with about 50 objective

questions to be answered in each subject with a time frame of 30 to 45 mins per

subject, then the question arouse does the NNPC really know what an aptitude test of

knowledge means? Where in the world does one write undergraduate/graduate

examination under the same condition as aptitude test?

It would have been ok if light had been provided for these 2.1 and first class

graduates, whom the NNPC boss was quick to water down based on their performance

in their rather poorly conducted exam, to see the questions they were requested to

answer but surprisingly as it got dark there was no provision for lighting in many

centers across the country, then another phase of scrambling started with these

graduated running to get candles to light up their scripts to answer these questions

while others settled for their nokia torchlight phones to illuminate their scripts, then

the exams ended in the dark of the night with Philips Consulting collecting scripts in

the dark. So I thought how can the NNPC complain on the outcome of such a poorly

conducted exam, should they hide that a company like nnpc should put up such a

shabby recruitment exam which was written in the dark of the night across many

centers in the country with poor infrastructure and organization in most centers, I

know that WACE whose questioner they extracted does not even combine four to five

subjects in one day and still provides for them to be written in the light of day. Then I

went further to look at the case of a young man who had his Msc in the UK and

graduated as the best student and still did not make it, but does it mean that he is

not good based on the NNPC standards, then another that had been bagging awards

right from secondary school till he graduated as the best in his department form the

University and still did not make it, is the NNPC trying to say by their own standard

they are not good? I think this is why the NNPC has been performing under expectation

because of poor conduct. It is not proper to say that a 1st class or 2:1 graduate is

half baked on the ground that it did not perform well in an examination that is different

in conduct to the examination that make such 1st class or 2:1 graduate.

For the record I think the NNPC has not been fair to these Graduates and has sent a

wrong signal to Nigerians and the world at large.

THIS ARTICLE IS TO BE PUBLISHED IN THE NIGERIAN DAILIES, PLEASE ANY REMARKS OR MODIFICATIONS ARE WELCOME FROM PATRIOTIC NIGERIANS

WITH BEST REGARDS
    Good Article! All your points are very correct, I expect that NNPC and Philips consulting should be ashamed of such poor arrangement- most striking of all is chosing centres that were not illuminated for an aptitude test and expects 100% after much mental and physical drain.

@sharpness. This's not d issue now. Ur story happened in d first quarter of d yr n we're almost at d last quarter. Besides reading thro' ur post shows dat u didn't actually sit for d test. D test actually had 2 parts: general n skills. Each had 60 quests for 45mins. Yes in some centers, d test started as late as 5pm while others 4.30pm n lasted for 1hr 30mins. U painted d picture as though it's easy to organise such exam wit dat no of applicants coming in from afar. Accreditation took d whole day n delay in some centres made other centres not to start on time to avoid leaking d papers. Stop giving d impression dat it wasn't fair enough cos some good guys u know couldn't make it. Do u know d ones dat made it and how good dey'r? If dose ur friends dat bagged all d awards back in sch n schooled abroad couldn't answer simple maths, phy, chem n come 1st 100 in deir respective states dat doesn't mean d successful ones're overated. Though I quite agree wif u dat d GMD shouldn't hv said dat in public but I see no lies in his statement. Of course many Nigerian graduates lack d basics in academics.

Does this mean no-one in these centres with poor illumination made it to the interview? I've always been guided by the fact that no excuse, no matter how legitimate is legitimate enough for failure!
    Truth is, many of our graduates are not even half-baked, they are not baked at all, even the so-called 1st class and 2.1s.
    Although, i might not support fully the stance of d GMD, i still think there's some credence in his statement.
    P.S as kafox said, it's stale news and so maybe sleeping dogs should be made to lie.

i think part of the problem we have in nigeria is not learning from our mistakes.how can one we something clearly abnormal (subjecting graduates thru that kind of stress) and say say its normal we should let sleeping dogs lie.knowing that nnpc recruitment is a yearly exercise means that its time somebody speak up.if they cannot care for 40000 applicants,then they should shortlist 20000 and conduct a world class aptitude test and see the best of these nigerians graduates whom they are so quick to criticize...(i still believe some of the best brains in the world are found in our graduates).

Quote Originally Posted by kafox View Post
    @sharpness. This's not d issue now. Ur story happened in d first quarter of d yr n we're almost at d last quarter. Besides reading thro' ur post shows dat u didn't actually sit for d test. D test actually had 2 parts: general n skills. Each had 60 quests for 45mins. Yes in some centers, d test started as late as 5pm while others 4.30pm n lasted for 1hr 30mins. U painted d picture as though it's easy to organise such exam wit dat no of applicants coming in from afar. Accreditation took d whole day n delay in some centres made other centres not to start on time to avoid leaking d papers. Stop giving d impression dat it wasn't fair enough cos some good guys u know couldn't make it. Do u know d ones dat made it and how good dey'r? If dose ur friends dat bagged all d awards back in sch n schooled abroad couldn't answer simple maths, phy, chem n come 1st 100 in deir respective states dat doesn't mean d successful ones're overated. Though I quite agree wif u dat d GMD shouldn't hv said dat in public but I see no lies in his statement. Of course many Nigerian graduates lack d basics in academics.
    NICE 1.

I SUPPORT UR VIEW...

I BELIV DAT WE SHD LEARN 2 ACCEPT OUR FAILURES & IMPROVE OUR ABILITIES SO AS TO SUCCEED IN D FUTURE...

Nontheless, being intelligent isn't d only factor dat determines SUCCESS... Ur state of mind (psychology), ur ability to withstand pressure & deal wit stress, ur ability to maintain good reasoning powers no mata d situation/environment u find urself, ur health, ur vision (sight, eyes), ur fitness, ur satisfaction (are u starving already, are u pressed wit urine or defecation, do u hv headache, are u sad, stomache upset, etc), etc...

If u fall in d negative side of any if dese, den u'r bound 2 undergo opposition/restriction 2 success...

So my dear, cheer up all of u.... And fight 2 improve....

Alwz learn 4rm pple's experience, dnt wait 4 ur own experience b4 u learn.... Dere may b NO 2nd chance...

Dnt ova work ursef b4 a test, dnt skip much sleep, dnt discuss or stand all d waitin hrs b4 a test, reserv ur energy, avoid anytin dat wil affect u -vely...

Best Wishes...

Its a shame dt we r stil talking when graduates cannot answer simpl arithmatic and basic sciences in 90 mins.I just want to ask one question,how did those 4700 made it to d interview? I thot they wrote d test in the same conditions you r refering to.pls dont try to give an impression dt those that passed d test were only lucky,you dont appreciate d fact dt they r equally good or even better than the ones you were refering to.

@mbello, ur opening remark sounds rude and impolite. I want to beliv dat u made it 2 the interview stage and u think it is bcos of ur intelligence dat u made it. And now u think dat all d rest dat didnt mak it ar a bunch of ignoramus and u ar more inteligent dan dem all. Anyway if u say so, is ok 4 u. But knw dat d bible says dat d race is not 4 d fastest runner, d battle nt 4 for d strongest, bread nt 4 d wise. Bearing dat in mind, u should knw dat u were favourd by God and not your inteligence catapulted you 2 dat interview stage. And anoda tin is dat d recruitment is based on quotaly bases and not every inteligent onces would be called at d same tym frm their respective states. My friend made a first clas bt he didnt mak d A-test bt he made d ptdf scholarship. Would u stil say it's a shame dat he couldnt pass d test? Mind u nt all calld 4 d intaview wil finaly make it. So wil u stil say it's a shame 2 dos dat may finaly nt make it? Be wise!

@benosk. How come ur first class friend had both tests? D last tym i checked dose tests were given simultaneously.

@shapnes count,i advise u go ahead.u shouldnt av startd here in d 1st place.bt pls note dat u may giv heavn n earth as excuses bt u wil b d one that wil bear the responsibility of d failure.chevro n shel dat conduct perfect exams,is it evrybdy that make it.even people wit phd fail those exams,so 4get that.bt jst go ahead n publish it since its ur opinion.if u continue 2ask questions lik ds b4 u tak actions,one day wen u r about 2tak a right dscision u wil b dscouraged thoroughly by people's coments (mayb,includin mine)

Quote Originally Posted by mbello View Post
    Its a shame dt we r stil talking when graduates cannot answer simpl arithmatic and basic sciences in 90 mins.I just want to ask one question,how did those 4700 made it to d interview? I thot they wrote d test in the same conditions you r refering to.pls dont try to give an impression dt those that passed d test were only lucky,you dont appreciate d fact dt they r equally good or even better than the ones you were refering to.
    Let me catch some fun today.

Now, una see the bold? It is the same as sentences like: I Did not Came there yesterday, she Did not Spoke to me two days ago, I Have not Drank water since yesterday, It is Time we Agree with you..The list goes on and on. Nobody should even tell me that it was a typo. It was not and it remains not. Write pidgin if anglais hard, okay..Mr Its a shame graduates cannot answer simpl arithmatic and basic sciences in 90 mins. Many people I know made the same statements until they started taking 'simple numerical reasoning tests' and failing them.

And just in case you did not know, you must know today that, in life, there is always, here am again, always an element of luck in all we do. If there wasn't, there would be no bible verse like Ecclesiastes, where it is written that the race is not to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but......complete am. If there wasn't, then many people like me would not be where we are today. If there wasn't, then the best graduating student in my brother's class would not fail a test that he wrote with my brother when they were among the people that competed to get a shot at BAT 10 years ago. If there wasn't, my cousin from an unknown polytechnic would not be a big engineer at the same NNPC today, and finally if there wasn't you and I would not be debating over what you wrote.

For every person that gets an opportunity in life, there are hundreds of equally good or even better people that will not get it.

That na life, my brother.
    yhemy4life likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mosunjoseph View Post
    @shapnes count,i advise u go ahead.u shouldnt av startd here in d 1st place.bt pls note dat u may giv heavn n earth as excuses bt u wil b d one that wil bear the responsibility of d failure.chevro n shel dat conduct perfect exams,is it evrybdy that make it.even people wit phd fail those exams,so 4get that.bt jst go ahead n publish it since its ur opinion.if u continue 2ask questions lik ds b4 u tak actions,one day wen u r about 2tak a right dscision u wil b dscouraged thoroughly by people's coments (mayb,includin mine)
    Oga sir, in case you did not know, please know today that a PhD proves the holder as someone capable of doing research at the highest. However, aptitude tests are a test of IQ and how one has developed both general and specific skills over the years. I hope you can see the distinction between both..That a person has a PhD does not necessarily imply that the person will ace aptitude test. Even a PhD mathematics could fail ordinary numerical reasoning test. I have a guy who made [B]ordinary 3.50/B] kind of 2:1, but can stand anyone in any aptitude test anywhere in the world, even the Chinese and Indian people who are notorious test takers.

The only time that you should be surprised that a PhD fails an aptitude test is when that PhD is from Harvard, Yale, Oxford, MIT, California. To even get into a PhD programme at these schools, a person's aptitude must be unusually high and this is demonstrated by the person's 800/800 GRE quant score and above 600/800 verbal score, plus a GPA of almost 5/5 or 4/4. Trust me, I very well too much over sabi know what I am saying. If you can show me someone with this profile that failed a test in Nigeria, then I will send you 100 dollars. I mean it. Afterwards, I will personally write a letter to Yale. It is not hard for me.

We do not need to stress ourselves on this issue so much. Have you forgotten that lucky plays its role in this situation? What of God's favour? Candidates who did not make it to the interview stage, i inclusive, should go ahead to await other chances. Afterall, nnpc is not the end of life.

+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast