+ Reply + New Job/Topic

Topic: Masters Degree Or Expeprience

Masters Degree Or Expeprience

Please, i am confuse about this, what should be the driving force for employers of labour?? In nigeria, it seems like masters degree is the criterium while in developed countries, it is experience, please someone need to get me through this, because, i really dont know what to seek for any more.Do i go for a masters degree, or i should remain with my company ( my present salary is not bad)

Re: Masters Degree Or Expeprience

since you're working already, you're having the experience in a particular discipline. It would be better for you to go for a Master's in an area relevant to your current area of practice. Try as much as possible not to deviate. It's important. With that you will have both Experience and masters degree. You are among the few lucky chaps. good luck

Having a masters degree is good but considering what's happening in Nigeria today (and even in UK), u might be in trouble if u leave a high paying job just because of a masters. Many have done that and are regretting today.

Lots of guys even with foreign msc certs are roaming the streets both in d Uk and in Nigeria looking for elusive jobs. If u must, then I advice u find a way of combining ur work and study.

Remember, "a fat bird in hand is always worth more"

The factors of experience and/or qualifications is a function of the company status and operational requirements. A multinational will certainly prefer both, given its status and operations. A small contracting/servicing company to a multinational with challenging operations will also prefer personnel with both experience and additional qualifications in order to compete favorably to win contracts(projects).
    Importantly, Master's without any working experience is not so advantageous in securing jobs in servicing companies but multinationals.
    For any kind of company, it'll be beneficial and advantageous to have had at least 5 years of experience before embarking on this Master's especially when u have to quit ur job for a full time program.
    At the same time u can make effort to get relevant certification/professional courses, while u're still working, even though it does not measure up to Master's cos of period of expiration, and need to renew it{financial factor}, it could be a good personal status leverage before u go for ur Master's.

I will not advise you to leave your job (with good pay) for masters degreee considering how difficult it is to secure a new job now. If your company can give u study leave with 100% assurance of reabsortion, then you can go. You cld also try part-time or online masters degree.

Stability has given you the best of advices. However, some guys have risked it, some succeeded to get a better job after masters while some did not succeeded. The choice is yours. My advice to you is in the form of a question; are you convinced enough to go?

You may explore the option of doing a part time Masters while you keep your job.
    So you kill two birds.

Obtaining a Master's degree is something u can do part-time while maintaining ur present job. Again, do not go for a Master's degree that will streamline u to a particular job/area. Go for a Master's degree that is flexible in economy application i.e MBA. The reasons are, peradventure one loses his present job, he stands better chances of being obtainable for another job with some other company (multinational or local), because of the flexibilty of his degree......to ur success!

I studied engineering, and there is no part time masters or online masters for the option i will like to study at the level of masters.

What Engineering did u study? What course woould you like to do a Masters in?

Martins 123,I seriously hope U are not the chap who cld not give E book on interview free on this forum last year well......
    Hnm Masters in engineering? hope u are considering a lecturing option! seriously if u are a mechanical, chemical civil I dont really think they add value 2 u except u are seriously considering lecturing option which u must be ready 4 Phd then it makes sense...wait where are u studying your masters? NIGERIA? God save yoursoul if it is in nigeria I had my Masters in Mech in naija and .......

+ Reply