+ Reply + New Job/Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Message to employers and grade (1st/2.1/2.2/3rd)class syndrome

Message to employers and grade (1st/2.1/2.2/3rd)class syndrome

Employers:do you want to tell me that graduates with 2.2 and below don't have job or future or what?this first class or 2.1 syndrome is not a recommended approach in employing the best hands in the labour market especially in sciences and engineering.many people with 2.2 are more smarter,intelligent,ready to work than some first or 2.1 class applicatant.the failure to attain to first or 2.1 class could be as a result of lecturer's frustration,economic imbalance,innocent exam victim in the exam hall,induced sickness in the exam hall and many things resulting to the high grade attainment failure.please our employer should desist from using academic grade for employment requirement.it does piss up when i read such employment advert stating only first or 2.1 class should apply.beside academic achievement is different from working ability and also not a good parameter for test of knowledge.our employer should overview graduates' CVs,i think there should be other qualifications,experience,social involvement,skills,background etc that might attract employer to invite d applicant for interview instead of using basically the yeastic of first or 2.1 class.before i leave the forum,i want to remind you as you know that many people use money and body to get the 2.1.thanks

Re: Message to employers and grade (1st/2.1/2.2/3rd)class syndrome

Well said. But, tell me, how can my body give me good grades? Do you mean I will get good grades if I am tall, dark and drop-dead-gorgeous?

The simple reason employers do not consider "graduates with 2.2 and below" is that the Nigerian Labour market is OVERBALANCED. For example, a company recently put up an advertisement for job vacancies(2 positions available) for "graduates with 2.1 and above" and after the close of application, the company received 12,000 applications for 2 available position. In such a situation, do you expect such employer to include "graduates with 2.2 and below" in future advertisement for job vacancies(2 positions available)?

I believe the government should be blamed for this discrimination.
    F

Don't u think d problem is from us n d government. from us is d population,our parent don't think of d Nigeria Economy ,they kept on having us as if it about farm land of then.the Government said no more repeating of classes.pass or fail,next class.now Jamb cut off and how d exam is conduct is nothing to write home about.I'm tried of niggling.it's my cross

The problem is not just our leaders but our society at large,,,,it is totally sick and full of old norms and values which are just not practical in the modern age. How can our society progress when it is continually run by a bunch of paper qualification warriors rather than people of proven abilities. How can we develop when a man like Ibb is shamelessly contesting to rule again......................................Let us rise and say no to this stupid cultures and values that are without logic and common sense let us resist IBB,even if it means giving up our lifes,after all , the way are living now is totally miserable

Quote Originally Posted by ighoeve
    Well said. But, tell me, how can my body give me good grades? Do you mean I will get good grades if I am tall, dark and drop-dead-gorgeous?
    Yes, of course! :P :P :P :P

Dont blame the employers, they have got to use some standards as long as the government does not care about it.

Even in government parastatals too, the same goes on so what should you expect from the private sector?
    G

It's true some who made 2.2 could have made 1st class in different circumstances. But another truth is this: 2.1 be like water... a lot of people have it. I graduated in a class that produced over 60 2.1s. 1 department. Project that over how many courses in how many universities and u'll get scary numbers. Some earned it, some bought it, true, and it's bad enough the unfortunate HR people have to always find the difference. But it's gets worse when u put 2.2 in the mix. They then also have to decipher who shud have gotten a 2.1 or who's got a 1st class brain regardless of the grade. Most don't bother.

Everyone (including the 1st class holders) needs to keep developing themselves. That need is even more pressing when u have less than a 2.1 for whatever reason (no one really cares to know). So my advice, make urself more marketable. Good things still happen to people with 2.2, third class and all kinds of grades. But I like being equipped to seize opportunities that come my way than just waiting around for sth small enough to fall into my '1st degree' net. So I eliminate any potential limitations that I can and expand my net, so when bigger things start falling, I'll catch sth nice. Just saying get ur masters from a good school, follow thru on ur professional qualifications, acquire other relevant skills like computer/IT stuff and/or start up ur own business. Then ur grade may no longer matter so much.

Cheers people...
    Aal izz well...

I'm pissed when I see pple typing gibberish jst cos they're browsing free on their phones.
    1stly,d folks that hv 2.2 & below that really hv brains dnt sit around sulking abt hw pple use MONEY & BODY 2 get their 2.1 or wateva.
    2ndly, job scarcity is global, even though Naija is doing nothing in particular 2 solve it. U wud be foolish not 2 acknowledge that those wit 1st class & 2.1's are actually smarter than the poster. Wat were u doing when MONEY & BODY was being traded 4 grades?
    I've bin at tests where real brains were required & the 1st class & 2.1 folks emerge effortlessly lik it wasnt nothing. Give these brainy folks kudos cos they deserve it. Are u jst fresh 4rm NYSC or are u 2 dumb 2 notice that there are some hotjobbers whose names always pop up afta major tests & interviews or do I need 2 mention names? @ poster: Do u mean 2 say that ur lousy 2.2 brain is hotter than these ladies & gents?
    If all evidence is brought 4ward, I must admit there are intelligent individuals wit HND, 2.2 & less out there but these pple dnt mak noise. They jst wait their turn the same way 1st class & 2.1 folk chill wen they hear som average 2.2 or HND guy/gal got a juicy job cos he/she is CONNECTED. But do u hear their voices or see posts such as urs (except 4 d PTDF saga) :NO. That's simply cos there's wisdom in shutting up.
    May GOD grant us our heart's desires.
    Diamond in the dirt...

My take on this is very simple l have 2.2,but there is no day in my life that l have envy those who with 2.1 0r first class rather l about how to improve my skill and concentrate on adding value to myself. lf you have seen graduates argued abt grades then u will know what am talking about e.g some will say 2.2 in my school is equivalent to 2:1 in yours,such talk can never get us anywhere rather l believe an average Nigerian graduate want to work all his life.it is only in this country you see someone with 30years experience that cant become a consultant.

You guys have said it all. But the so called First Class or second class upper graduate don't even get the job. I have a lot of first class people that are still jobless and it does not mean they are not good enough to earn the first class. I also know some people who graduated with 2.2 and below that are equally good as well. So, I think the problem is the government, and also the employer of labor.

For the sake of those that earned it, think we should give them respect. You just have to hope good things come your way. I know someone who rose to a managerial position in a multinational firm with a 2.2 in pol science. Dont envy anyone instead, hope for the best.
    B

naija graduate pls let us change our orientation.let us stop faultn d government or private organisation.we shud engage ourself in sumtin productv dan critisizn.we can enrol 4 msc programs,catificatin programs,skilled work...............am vry sure, wen u add value 2ur qualification,job will be searchn 4u

+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast