+ Reply + New Job/Topic
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Topic: ICAN AND ACCA

Re: ICAN AND ACCA

Dear all, i greet you. Let me start by saying that there is a big difference btw ACCA and ICAN. while i can confirm to you that ICAN is the most recognised accounting body in Nigeria only, ACCA has recognitions in many countries across the world.
    I started with ICAN but after reviewing ACCA curriculum,i quit ICAN and enrolled for ACCA because i felt i was missing out on some current developments as far as accounting is concerned e.g IFRS.
    I thank God that i qualified about 2 years ago and believe me,there has been no regret whatsoever. God is my witness that i have received a couple of calls from international recruitment agencies asking me to send my CV with some of them even going as far as conduting telephone interviews for me and the likes.
    Although,i am currently still working in Nigeria but i can confirm to you that with a globally recognised certificate,the sky is your limit (if you are smart)!
    I am a Nigerian and very proud to be but i believe ICAN has a lot to do.I only had one level to go in ICAN before opting out despite the fact that many people advised me from doing so. I can also confirm to you that a lot of guys with ICAN have also written ACCA and some of them are still writing.
    Globalization is the order of the day folks so why do you want to restrict your potentials to a particular vicinity?If ICAN was serious,by now it should have been the most recognized accounting body in Africa or west africa but it is not.I am not condemning our own thing but the ''ogas'' at the top are more interested in making money rather than building the name of ICAN.
    Before now,if you failed one ICAN paper and passed some in a particular stage,you would be expected to write all the papers again.WHYACCA has always been flexible from day 1, you can also bag a BSc degree in Applied Accounting for those that are not lucky with JAMB and the certificate is globally recognized. They just make life easy for you but that is never to say that the questions are cheap, never!
    The issue with us in Nigeria is that we are highly sentimental in nature,sometimes we indulge in unconstructive arguements all in the name of protecting our own thing rather than addressing the issues at stake. There was a time one of the Nigerian film producers said on the TV that Nollywood is in the same league with Hollywood.isn't that ridiculous? Do you need to google or do any research before you know that the guy was talking trash?
    Please note that i am not discouraging anybody from writing ICAN but am only saying what i know (which are based on facts).Ask yourself this question:How many of Dafinone's children wrote ICAN?As far as accounting is concerned in Nigeria, Dafinone is an icon. All his children either wrote ICAEW or ACCA.why didn't he ask them to go for ICAN because it is a Nigerian thing? Also note that all his children are chartered accountants and that was why he given an award for promoting Accounting.
    Nigeria is blessed with many people with great potentials and that is why you see us passing exams like CISA,CFA,FRM,PRM etc with ease. With these qualifications,some of our brothers and sisters are top shots in multinational companies like google,JP morgan,world bank,IMF etc.
    Finally,i feel it's all about choice and what each and every one of us wants in life.If you are not keen about being a global player,pls don't waste your money and time,just go for ICAN otherwise it must be ACCA,CPA or ICAEW.
    God bless us all and no matter what qualification we eventually choose, I pray that we live to fulfil our destinies in life in Jesus name.

@ yes i can

Well spoken, But i still prefer going for the Ican then later for the Acca,Cisa Etc

God bless us all.

Regards,

Dejavu

From my own point of view. I think ICAN and ACCA are professional bodies of equal status when viewed from the global perspective though ACCA is known worldwide than ICAN not because it is better than ICAN but because of it long existence which is as a result of where it originated from. can you compare the existence of UNITED KINGDOM with the existence of NIGERIA, thus, this makes the difference between the two bodies....
    both are member of IFAC, (Nigeria ICAN) and (UK ACCA) but in as much you are a Nigerian and resides in Nigeria I believe ICAN is better than ACCA.
    From the view point of the poster with the longest comment on this issue he believes ACCA is better because he wrote ICAN opted out for ACCA for reason he will not like to disclose to the public and believes that people writing ICAN are short sighted that weren’t looking into the future
    On update please check the current syllabus on 2009 to know how updated it is in terms IFRS, IAS, IPSAC etc before you make public comment of this nature
    I stand on the point that ACCA is better only if you are a UK citizen residing and you have all it take to move to the UK at anytime but if you are an hustler like me and reside in Nigeria it is better you opt for ICAN. what if you think you will find yourself in UK but find yourself in UNITED STATE where they have their own ACCOUNTING PROFESSIONAL BODY. Think of it and make a wise decision
    ONE LOVE AND WISH YOU ALL THE BESt
    S

From my own point of view. I think ICAN and ACCA are professional bodies of equal status when viewed from the global perspective though ACCA is known worldwide than ICAN not because it is better than ICAN but because of it long existence which is as a result of where it originated from. can you compare the existence of UNITED KINGDOM with the existence of NIGERIA, thus, this makes the difference between the two bodies....
    both are member of IFAC, (Nigeria ICAN) and (UK ACCA) but in as much you are a Nigerian and resides in Nigeria I believe ICAN is better than ACCA.
    From the view point of the poster with the longest comment on this issue he believes ACCA is better because he wrote ICAN opted out for ACCA for reason he will not like to disclose to the public and believes that people writing ICAN are short sighted that weren’t looking into the future
    On update please check the current syllabus on 2009 to know how updated it is in terms IFRS, IAS, IPSAC etc before you make public comment of this nature
    I stand on the point that ACCA is better only if you are a UK citizen residing and you have all it take to move to the UK at anytime but if you are an hustler like me and reside in Nigeria it is better you opt for ICAN. what if you think you will find yourself in UK but find yourself in UNITED STATE where they have their own ACCOUNTING PROFESSIONAL BODY. Think of it and make a wise decision
    ONE LOVE AND WISH YOU ALL THE BEST
    S

@solokiri...my brother,let me reiterate that i am not undermining ICAN but i stand to be corrected that ICAN and ACCA are not in the same league.

While i am not trying to promote ACCA,am just trying to be as objective and realisitc as possible based on verifiable facts.You said i didn't disclose my reason for deflecting to ACCA,answer...i felt ACCA had more to offer.I still have my 2004 PE1 passed result at home so don't think i left ICAN because i failed. No! Besides,who said ACCA exams are cheaper than ICAN?

Please think about what i said earlier on, how come none of Dafinone's children did ICAN and yet they are practicing in nigeria? this is something that is easily verifiable so there is no need to doubt me.

Let us deviate a little,do you know the most recognised RISK MGT certification in CBN? It is called FRM (Financial Risk Manager). It's not as if we don't have local risk mgt institutes in Nigeria but people at the top (Sanusi,Dafinone etc) know better and prefer to go for what counts most.

I actually have a lot to say but i don't think it's worth the stress but for the initiator,whatever you choose at the end of the day, you will definitely be who God wants you to be in life because it's not of him that willeth nor runneth (with all your qualifications) but of God that showeth mercy.

Compliments of the season to all.

@yes i can, I believe you need to have some time to really conduct investigation in order to be well informed. Those people you refer to have enough resources to reside in the UK. How many Nigerians do you think will be opportuned to travel ot of Nigeria? Even those that are in UK have problem of being employed as a result of racial discrimination. @ solonike has said it all. If you think you end up be in UK but you find your self in USA, SA or Wales, then you will need to undergo the stress again.
    Be strong and courageous, for the Lord has done it.

Quote Originally Posted by yes i can
    whatever you choose at the end of the day, you will definitely be who God wants you to be in life because it's not of him that willeth nor runneth (with all your qualifications) but of God that showeth mercy.

Compliments of the season to all.
    Well Spoken !

Compliment of the season to you All.....

Dejavu

Remember PAPA IDAHOSA principle of Success..................

A lizard in Nigeria cannot become Elephant or a Crocodile abroad

If you have ICAN or ACCA if you not better of job- wise in Nigeria you can't be better of in the UK simple

Pls remember that our mentors or leaders in ICAN today are more successful than their Nigerian counterpart who decided to stay and practice in the UK then.

Today you can't talk about accounting practice in the world without Akintola Williams remember if he decided to stay in the UK nobody would have heard of him not even our generation

I have ACCA and ICAN so nobody can tell me ACCA is better than ICAN except the person have not worked in the best four practising firms

ICAN is great remember ICAN lower their standard bcos Nigerians like cheap success & shortcuts otherwise to me ACCA is over flexible and not really fit in to our environment. in the UK their citizens were no longer kin with much reading that was why ACCA started credit system to accommodate their citizens

Think of this CFA is now adopting the same fail one fail all that Nigerians were complaining bitterly about ICAN.and today Nigerians are all running to become a CFA holder.

Please lets stop deceiving ourselves ICAN is the ultimate in Nigeria for ACCA people should cross the bridge when they reach there.

@ nelson

Thats good thanks.

Dejavu

yes i can, i want to tank you very much for your long analysis,i think we should draw the margin by now on this issue guys. tanks

ICAN or ACCA, both have their advantages and disadvantages!
    No One Will Know You Are Honest Unless You Give Out Samples!

ICAN AND ACCA

House mate,pls i got an appointment as an audit trainee in a privatd audit firm for salary of 25k..dont knw welther 2take d offer or not bt also i'm considerin d experience which i hv nt gotin any experience since i finishd my national service.pls i need ur advice.

guyz what do u expect, Ican was established by an Act of parliament no 15 of nigeria in 1965 so its a nigerian thing, i dont see any basis for comparing it with Acca which is a foreign thing, u talk of acca when u intend to pursue a career abroad, but as far as naija is concerned we all know that Ican is the undisputed most recorgnised accounting professional body regardless of current developments, i stand to be corrected.

+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast