+ Reply + New Job/Topic
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: ICAN AND ACCA

ICAN AND ACCA

ACCA . Gives room for an Accountant to be contemporary with the current changes in our wider social_ Accounting system. unlike, OUR OLD SCHOOL ICAN, that is very rigid with its SAS.Thank GOD they have started incorporating IAS AND IFRS., into their syllabus.

Re: ICAN AND ACCA

Yea,go for the best ACCA.ICAN is becoming outdated

On my God I wonder why people should talk like this. Who told you ICAN is outdated? If Ican is outdated why would ACCA be romancing with ICAN for absorption. ICAN can never be outdated. You cant appreciate what you dont have. Im not saying you should not write ACCA bcos of its additional qualification but saying ICAN is outdated is what I write against. I have ICAN. I thank God. I know much about IFRS you were talking about. ICAN covers every areas of accounting standard while ACCA doesnt. After all, you cant compare ICAN questions with ACCA.

Its unfortunate when Nigerians go about talking carelessly about issues they no nothing about. Ican is a world class professional body that has produced some of the best Accountants in the world today. Every country is expected to have its own professional Accounting body and if because you are writing the exams of ACCA you now feel you can start rubbishing our great institute then something is wrong with you. It is your choice if you want to belong to ACCA but remember in as much as u still want to practice as an Accountant in Nigeria, u must belong to ICAN. And if i may ask you, whats the benefit for example of studying the British tax law as u guys do in ACCA when you no u want to practice in Nigeria?
    IFRS is an international standard issued by IFAC and if you dont know, ICAN is a founding member of iFAC and so, a party to the issuance of those standards. Please for next time sake, get your facts right before coming to a public forum like this to expose your ignorance. So many people have sacrificed quite a lot to get ICAN to where it is now and we wont allow people like you to demean our great institute.

@ Op, ill just say this, both bodies are great institutions of repute. I'll just give us distinctive factors that sets ACCA above.
    Recent developments even in Nigeria is dat financial/corporate reporting is now tending towards IFRS, wh forms the core syllabus covered by ACCA. And here's d main catch, upon completion of your ACCA, you can get d ICAN certification upon attending a Seminar, but an ICAN graduate would need to complete 5 examinations in the professional series of ACCA. In addition, ACCA gives u an added advantage by offering you a BSc. from Oxford Brookes University, UK.
    All the best.

seun and God father with all the respect , i think both of you are flustered.ACCA and ican are not mates. we can never be in the same shoes. we think outside the box , unlike ur so called ican that encourage its members to cram its pack. no wonder interpretation is a constraints to icans holders.what do you know about IFRS. No disrespect to icans holders ,our GAAP which is ican should complement IFRS. What i am striving to point out is that the ican syllabus should be review.
    With British tax system is very complex and dynamic , it changes with the Eco/ socio system. With the British TAX i can deal with the Nigeria tax system, that is not contemporary and is never review. Are u saying i can not calculate CGT FOR COMPANY AND FOR INDIVIDUAL.

Both Institutions are great. But if you have ICAN and set in for ACCA is a duplication of effort. I was writing ACCA together with ICAN before i became an ICAN member but after qualification i just sat down one day and said to myself this is duplication of effort. I dont see myself travelling to practise in UK so why should i write ACCA. But if there is need to travel then i might take the exam when i get there. In Nigeria if u have ACCA or ACA you are rated equally and mind you guys performance on the Job is not by the qualifications you guys are carrying it is what value you can add to the Company you are working at. If you have the qualification and your turnaround time is low you will be sacked irrespective of your certificate. In one word ACA and ACCA rank in pari passu here in Nigeria. ICAN is also internationally recognised cos is a member of IFAC.

@ Jalox004: U suck alot. It even shows what kind of professionals ACCA is producing. I guess you are new to the professional world because no professional will ever condemn a professional colleague openly. The Tax Law in Nigeria is clearly different from the one in England please be guided. Why do you think ICAN will organise a seminar for ACCA Holders its just for them to familiarise them with the local happenings and structure in Nigeria especially in Tax law. Even when there is a conflict between our own SAS and IAS: SAS prevail in Nigeria. You are in Nigeria and ICAN rules here if you are in UK then you can carry the certificate and scream anywhere you like. But to address you both Institutions are great Institutions. If you want to practice tax here just study our tax law so that you dont misguide you clients. ICAN has produced great Accountant and still producing more.

i think the the topic is just a personal view.i see no reason why some people should take it personal.
    we all know that there is no basis for comparism between ACCA and ICAN. ACCA is far better than ICAN in so many aspect
    if you have any view to the contrary, u table it maturely, rether than behaving childishly.

For all i know, we have two accounting professional bodies in this country, ICAN and others. Please if you can't pass ICAN stop talking what you don't know. ICAN is and will always be a world class professional body.

"Both Institutions are great" as said ealier by dapato. I am an Associate member of both Institute and apart from that i lectured at both ACCA levels and ICAN levels. The point is a matter of choice and proper counselling, as a matter of fact Nigerian ACCA's holders find it very difficult to practice with their certificates here in Nigeria and over there in the UK. There is no way you can practice in Nigeria as an ACCA holder without completing your direct membership programme with ICAN, and over there in UK they prefer to take their British counterpart as a trainee than Nigerian. On the issue of recorgnition, both were globally recorgnised. Like we have ICAN in Nigeria there is also ICAEW in the UK which also give direct membership to ICAN members on completion of certain programs. In addittion, ACCA also has different syllabus for their papers depending on your region for example you cannot use ACCA UK certificate to practice in South Africa without going through the ACCA South Africa membership programme. Anyone you choose to focus on is as good as the other, just try and identify the purpose of chosen the profession in order not to walk the journey of 1year in 5 years.

nigerians can never fail to amuse me with their parameters for comparison

Ican

Maybe i should be the judge. As an accounting graduate yet to write ican or acca, i stand at a vantage point. Previously at school, there has always been this rhapsody about ican until certain people started taking to acca. From my inference, the rush for acca is in tandem with the rush to live and work abroad. But ask your selves how many foreigners have come to write ican in other to practice in Nigeria. Ican is for nigeria while acca is uk's identity. You Nigerians spending all that cash for acca while in Nigeria should reconsider because charity begins at home. As a Nigerian living and willing or it is most likely you must practice in Nigeria, you have no business with acca. Like someone said, they wont take you as a trainee, only their fellow brit. All acca ambassadors here are unpatriotic, would-be prodigal accountants. You most likely took London GCE then.

+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast