+ Reply + New Job/Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Topic: I want to file a lawsuit!

Angry I want to file a lawsuit!

It’s going to be a very lengthy piece so i ask that you be patient.

For a month or so, i have been watching a movie boston legal season 4, it’s a film about a law firm. In the movie, the law firm handled what you could refer to as the most outrageous and ludicrous of cases, cases that could easily be dismissed by anyone who just hears it. But these cases get a court hearing anyway and even if the plaintiff doesnt get to win, at least he/she gets to make some noise over issues affecting society that everyone has kept quiet about. I have somehow drawn inspiration from this movie because somehow the lawyers in it have made sense out of total nonsense cases. And it somehow has informed my decision to act.

Now here’s my story.

We all know how gatecrashing aptitude tests is what job-seekers in nigeria do best. Through this magnificent forum, i heard a certain consulting firm was recruiting for an organization, i saw the email where cv’s were sent and i just sent my cv. I didn’t get an invite but all the same i went for the aptitude test. When i got there, they seperated those who had an invite from those that didn’t, those without invite were made to write the test after the ‘eligible’ ones had written (those with the text message). i wrote the test shaa, it was okay! And in a few days, i got a message that i passed the test and i should come for “documentation” which i did with all my credentials plus my “birth certiicate”. The lady checked everything and certified me fit and “qualified” and as such put down my name in the list of those to be forwarded to the organization. Within a short while i got a message from the organization for an interview at their ‘saka tinubu’ office on a saturday, i went all dressed up, i got there and there was yet another documentation again, checking birth certificate most especially, and we were set for a “written interview” which i did with about 30 other elegantly dressed nigerian job-seekers. It lasted 30minutes and we were told if we scaled that stage they would definitely get back to us.

Two days later i got a call by 8pm, telling me i was among the last 16 who had made it to the interview stage and that i was scheduled for mine the next day. I was unquantifiably excited and started to visualise myself as a member of staff of the firm. I prepared like hell for the interview and i was so “good to go”. When i got to the place by 3pm in readiness for 3:40pm when i was to go in, i met 2 guys who were also waiting and as usual we got acquainted and shared one or two ideas. Those 2 guys went in and about 3:40pm a man came, called my name and instead of taking me inside, took me to a corner and said: ‘we noticed ur age is beyond the required age limit of 26 and as such we cannot allow you go on with the interview because company policy says the maximum age requirement is 26, i am sorry’. He also said they made it clear to the recruiting firm that they needed 26yr olds, and i said why then did they clear me when they saw i was beyond that, why did the organization also clear me on the day of the written interview when i came still with the same “birth certiicate” indicating my real age written boldly? The man sympathised with me truly, i saw in his eyes that he himself felt my pain.

My fellow nigerians, i had hardly reached the gate when i broke down in very very serious tears, i cried, no…i wept like a baby who was refused its mother’s care. I mean, imagine an adult in suit crying in broad day light? It was uncontrollable. I tried so hard to fight back the tears. I cried home! I had told my mom that morning that god was going to do something wonderful that day, that i had unwavered faith that i would get the job. So imagine the eagerness she had to see me return with glad tidings, only for her to see me looking much less of what i looked like in the morning, my eyes were so red, i cried for days, she couldn’t help but cry with me and consoled me with motherly words. The aftereffect was that i felt distraught and felt like i have taken a very heavy blow. 15 of the other candidates have all started work, i know i would have excelled in that job, i ate the job, slept the job, dreamt the job, visualised myself as a staff of that orhanization. Imagine coming so so close yet so far away, all bcos ur a little older than the required age limit. This age limit discrimination thingy is wrong, totally. Well if companies want to enforce it no problem, but why did they after seeing that i was not 26, still allow me go through all the stages of recruitment which i passed by the way only to be denied in the very end. It is painful. Someone has got to say something about this; someone has got to “make some noise” as it were. For crying out loud, in america; a developed country, age is not a factor when it comes to getting employment, why is it so in nigeria?

I want to file a lawsuit against the firm, i mean i feel i should make some noise about this; just as i mentioned in the beginning about the movie, not all lawsuits may seem sensible but they get to make some noise and in most cases, they win! I am not out to speak for just myself but for may of us out there who one way or the other have been affected by this epidemic “company policy”.
    I have discussed this with a top-notch attorney at law and he shares my sentiments.
    I have put this up here in nhj bcos i know nhj has got nigeria’s finest men and women (intellectually).

This is my story!

What do you guys think!!!

Re: I want to file a lawsuit!

I feel your pain chief and i think trying suing aint a bad idea.My question is what are you suing for?we live in a society were there is much priority on age and not on what an individual can deliver regardless of the age.My advise is why not do a mail to a top person in the firm stating everything you have gone through,you never can tell.
    All the best.
    dejino007 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by monell55 View Post
    It’s going to be a very lengthy piece so i ask that you be patient.

For a month or so, i have been watching a movie boston legal season 4, it’s a film about a law firm. In the movie, the law firm handled what you could refer to as the most outrageous and ludicrous of cases, cases that could easily be dismissed by anyone who just hears it. But these cases get a court hearing anyway and even if the plaintiff doesnt get to win, at least he/she gets to make some noise over issues affecting society that everyone has kept quiet about. I have somehow drawn inspiration from this movie because somehow the lawyers in it have made sense out of total nonsense cases. And it somehow has informed my decision to act.

Now here’s my story.

We all know how gatecrashing aptitude tests is what job-seekers in nigeria do best. Through this magnificent forum, i heard a certain consulting firm was recruiting for an organization, i saw the email where cv’s were sent and i just sent my cv. I didn’t get an invite but all the same i went for the aptitude test. When i got there, they seperated those who had an invite from those that didn’t, those without invite were made to write the test after the ‘eligible’ ones had written (those with the text message). i wrote the test shaa, it was okay! And in a few days, i got a message that i passed the test and i should come for “documentation” which i did with all my credentials plus my “birth certiicate”. The lady checked everything and certified me fit and “qualified” and as such put down my name in the list of those to be forwarded to the organization. Within a short while i got a message from the organization for an interview at their ‘saka tinubu’ office on a saturday, i went all dressed up, i got there and there was yet another documentation again, checking birth certificate most especially, and we were set for a “written interview” which i did with about 30 other elegantly dressed nigerian job-seekers. It lasted 30minutes and we were told if we scaled that stage they would definitely get back to us.

Two days later i got a call by 8pm, telling me i was among the last 16 who had made it to the interview stage and that i was scheduled for mine the next day. I was unquantifiably excited and started to visualise myself as a member of staff of the firm. I prepared like hell for the interview and i was so “good to go”. When i got to the place by 3pm in readiness for 3:40pm when i was to go in, i met 2 guys who were also waiting and as usual we got acquainted and shared one or two ideas. Those 2 guys went in and about 3:40pm a man came, called my name and instead of taking me inside, took me to a corner and said: ‘we noticed ur age is beyond the required age limit of 26 and as such we cannot allow you go on with the interview because company policy says the maximum age requirement is 26, i am sorry’. He also said they made it clear to the recruiting firm that they needed 26yr olds, and i said why then did they clear me when they saw i was beyond that, why did the organization also clear me on the day of the written interview when i came still with the same “birth certiicate” indicating my real age written boldly? The man sympathised with me truly, i saw in his eyes that he himself felt my pain.

My fellow nigerians, i had hardly reached the gate when i broke down in very very serious tears, i cried, no…i wept like a baby who was refused its mother’s care. I mean, imagine an adult in suit crying in broad day light? It was uncontrollable. I tried so hard to fight back the tears. I cried home! I had told my mom that morning that god was going to do something wonderful that day, that i had unwavered faith that i would get the job. So imagine the eagerness she had to see me return with glad tidings, only for her to see me looking much less of what i looked like in the morning, my eyes were so red, i cried for days, she couldn’t help but cry with me and consoled me with motherly words. The aftereffect was that i felt distraught and felt like i have taken a very heavy blow. 15 of the other candidates have all started work, i know i would have excelled in that job, i ate the job, slept the job, dreamt the job, visualised myself as a staff of that orhanization. Imagine coming so so close yet so far away, all bcos ur a little older than the required age limit. This age limit discrimination thingy is wrong, totally. Well if companies want to enforce it no problem, but why did they after seeing that i was not 26, still allow me go through all the stages of recruitment which i passed by the way only to be denied in the very end. It is painful. Someone has got to say something about this; someone has got to “make some noise” as it were. For crying out loud, in america; a developed country, age is not a factor when it comes to getting employment, why is it so in nigeria?

I want to file a lawsuit against the firm, i mean i feel i should make some noise about this; just as i mentioned in the beginning about the movie, not all lawsuits may seem sensible but they get to make some noise and in most cases, they win! I am not out to speak for just myself but for may of us out there who one way or the other have been affected by this epidemic “company policy”.
    I have discussed this with a top-notch attorney at law and he shares my sentiments.
    I have put this up here in nhj bcos i know nhj has got nigeria’s finest men and women (intellectually).

This is my story!

What do you guys think!!!

So sorry to hear this mate,but i want you to know something that there is something called "DESTINY" will definitely be who God wants you to be in life because it's not of him that willeth nor runneth (with all your qualifications) but of God that showeth mercy..... Let me share an experience with you,a Brother worked in a Firm for 7-9 yrs and collect peanuts as Salary,he applied to different coy's and they call him for Both Test & Interview,hes a briliant guy but still they'll not Offer him the Job..... To God be the Glory, he Got an Sms from FBN to come for an Interview for the post of an Internal Control Officer,and just like that,he got the Job till Date we "DON'T KNOW" who helped him applied for Job with First Bank Plc,but what we know is that the Time only came,and hes prayer for a Better/Good job was answered.This is a guy that has done UBA Graduate Trainee test and did 2 Interviews without been called for the job only after 8-11 Months,UBA sacked some of their staff in Ibadan. A guy that went for ODUA Telecoms test passed and went for the Interview,only to be told later that hes frowning hes face lol..... a year plus after ODUA retrenched seriously but we were all angry that he did not get the 2 Jobs and others but maybe if he got the Job,he too would have been retrenched.
    what am just trying to say is that God knows whats Good for us all and the time for us all........So i want you to give thanks to God in any condition you find yourself.......... he knows what is best for you Ok and please keep the little money you have for yourself and dont waste it on any Lawsuit, i think you can even try to compose an email as advised by xploit to any of their Top person if they can look into it,and if not,fine you let go,your own JOB will come.

Regards,

Dejino007

MIB
    @dejino, As much as I believe in God, I think God has left us to determine our destiny most of the time, thats why we got brain, Human are infact the most advanced of all God creature. You see, In Nigeria here, we tend to associate God with every evil even if its not from him, True, God knows best and all but, if we have a change of heart things wont be the way they are, A very Good example now is, the govt refuses to repair the benin-ore road, this road has claimed lots of life and valuable, would u now tell me that God ordained this? or is it our corrupt leaders with their embezzling nature that his costing pple their life. Jst like the Monell had earlier said, Am sure we all read about the scam recruitment process of First City Monument Bank. where the staff of the bank conieved with Work Force recruitment agency to say that they are recruiting people and at the end of the whole excercise jst 15pple were later employed to the Graduate trainee programme which obviously isnt reasonable cos am sure more pple would be added to the training when it starts.. If I had my way also I would sue both bank and the recruitment agent.

MIB
    My opnion is that lets leave God to judge when we die but here on EARTH, let the fraud and theives be countered, sued and punished, true, God might favour u when he sees that u have been cheated on several occassions and he also will let you see what became of the people that made it in a crooked way. My own take is that we should fight and not let God blame us for our own negligence and inactions.. Thank u

@monell,r u talkn abt gthomes,cos ur scenerio is similar to dat of gthomes.afta d test & verificatn @ m.stephen,did anoda writtn interview @ gthomes office at saka tinubu and was invitd 4 anoda set of interview @deir office again,i was told by d last prsn dat interviewd me dat day dat i shld get prepared 2 meet thr md d foll day.dat a call wil b put 4ward 2 me bt 2 my dismay i neva rec any cal and my oda interviewees were calld i askd 1 d guy dat was calld 2 help me 2 confirm my name bt my name wasnt among.i wept lyk a baby bt i summond courage and accept it as my faith.my fwend wat wil b urs wil surely b urs just stand firm by God

@monell,r u talkn abt gthomes,cos ur scenerio is similar to dat of gthomes.afta d test & verificatn @ m.stephen,did anoda writtn interview @ gthomes office at saka tinubu and was invitd 4 anoda set of interview @deir office again,i was told by d last prsn dat interviewd me dat day dat i shld get prepared 2 meet thr md d foll day.dat a call wil b put 4ward 2 me bt 2 my dismay i neva rec any cal and my oda interviewees were calld i askd 1 d guy dat was calld 2 help me 2 confirm my name bt my name wasnt among.i wept lyk a baby bt i summond courage and accept it as my faith.my fwend wat wil b urs wil surely b urs just stand firm by God

This is a human rigts issue and d company can be sued to set as an example. I am a Lawyer. Pm me n I wld help u out.

Yea its gt homes. Went for the interview but till today nothing from them. Just know what will be will be.

It's very painful!

That they saw dat u exceeded d age limit, and still invited u for interview may not really help in being victorious in d suit.
    Related age limit requirement are always made open. U can agree with me that they are not scared to advertise such adverts in national dailies(what a law-less country, when it is also stipulated in our constitution dat people shall not be discrimated based on age).
    I know that if one did not fight, one may not win. But, one needs to weigh things well.

I will want house members to share dia opinion on what may make dis friend not to be victorious in d suit.
    I am sorry for my choice of words.
    I want the poster to be prepared towards how it can fight what could make him lose.

Ok, i appreciate d comments coming in. But d truf is, i am not sayin i hope to win d case, no, but i just need to take a stand and make "some noise" as it were. Even if i dont win; which is not even what am after anyway, I would b speaking out...i av an unwavering determination to c dis thru! I just av to "make that noise".

My dear, think very carefully before making such a decision.
    I believe in just one thing, what is mine is coming to me very soon.
    You just even started, and you are already going to court,that means if you go for 10 more interviews, then what will you do?
    What you experienced is just too little compared to all i have experienced in my whole life in my search for a job, yet, i didnt for one instant think of going to court.You of all people, should know that the Nigerian court system is as good as dead,if you go to court the company will try to suppress you? do you know why? they will do this to prevent other graduates from taking them to court in the future.
    I have had about 5 interviews where i experienced this same shit but even far worse than yours, but i told myself to just forget it.
    If i tell you what i went through you would even cry more than you cried in your case.
    Let it go! Other better opportunities will come,BIGGER AND BETTER ONES!
    If you go to court and ok they even employ, i bet you , you may not last in the company because they will be very wary of you!
    Just Let it go!
    But on the other hand just express your grievance through the newspapers that would be better!.
    Take Care.

+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast