+ Reply + New Job/Topic

Topic: downgrading vista

downgrading vista

hey guys!
    my vista is giving me problem and i need to downgrade to xp.
    all effort prove abortive.
    can any body pls tell m what to do.......am using hp laptop 6735s

Re: downgrading vista

In order not to lose your files select the LEAVE CURRENT PARTITION instead of the FORMAT CURRENT PARTITION while installing the xp.also since its a laptop you might run into issues with some devices not functioning properly due to lack of the needed drivers so be sure to have everything you need before you perform the installation.send me a PM if you need more specific information.cheers.

thanks guys bt is still nt goin......is like there is somtin to disable or enable at d bios setup bt i dnt kno......pls, i need profesional contribution

Thats a common issue with hp laptops that comes pre-loaded with windows vista.ascertain this two things:
    1.that the cd with you is bootable and in good condition.
    2.that you've changed the boot priority of your system so that it boots from cd.

If those two conditions are in place and its still not installing the xp then you do need professional help.send me a PM for more info.

bros, why not upgrade to window 7...it has the capability to retain all the drivers and its user friendly.
    why xp?

Window vista

I think you make CD ROM the first bootable device. Go to the bios setup and make the changes, then save.

Answer simple questions.

1. What is the make and model of your computer ?
    2. What windows OS logo is on the right hand side of your computer / What OS did it origianlly come pre-installed with ?
    3. What message or error do get when u boot with the Win XP CD ?

The truth is that there are laptops you can't downgrade on, the bios is locked to a particular version of Operating system and you can not go lower than that, it's common with the HP Compaq series, so if ur system is one of them, then the best thing would be to upgrade to a higher level of vista or just switch to windows 7, like one of the guys said, it's user friendly and almost gives the feel of an XP but with the security that made vista a hit....... So go through your bios info and see if it has a specific operating system written, if it does; then sorry my dear, u can't go lower that your present vista. One Love..
    Thanks<br /><br />Remain Blessed All,<br />Best Regards,<br />Naija4Life.

Hi Adetola.
    Your Bios is not locked to a particular OS. the issue is wt the SATA drive. i believe it displays a message that your Drive cannot be detected. The issue is with the installation mode of xp and vista. Vista & win 7 is image based (more like ghost tech) while xp is not. This makes it difficult for xp installation disc to identify ur sata drive since it does not have the driver.

If you are in lagos and can make it to ikeja on saturday i can offer to help you downgarde to xp service pack 3. But hope your system came wt a drivers cd else you would need to download the drivers online.
    If you are interested send a mail to [email protected] then i would give you more info.
    N.B: I am not charging you a dime for the downgrade. So you don't think one is trying to scam you.

quiet4real,
    you are right. I suspect same . He can only do best by simply following my initial post.

Your problem is not far-fetched bro. The issue with your laptop is that it comes with a SATA hard drive and you are trying to install with an xp cd that only supports old IDE drives. Win XP up to service pack 3 does not support SATA hard drives, that is why you donnt see your hard drive when you boot with XP cd.

Soultions to your problem
    ==================
    There is a version of XP (which is actually a slipstreamed version of the original XP) which comes with the SATA drivers pre-installled, you can get this in computer village. Just make sure you ask for XP cd that supports SATA drives. It usually have "SATA" written boldly on it and it should install on your laptop without worries. But guy, make sure you have all your hardware xp drivers at hand first as those could be hard to find for a laptop designed specifically for vista. A work around to this (i.e if you have driver issues) is to search the website of each hardware maker to download the XP drivers as your laptop maker wont be able to help you.

If the solution above does not work, the other work around will be to make your own slipstreamed xp cd (i.e hacked XP cd). This will really bore you if you're not tech-savvy. Making a slipstreamed CD means youre going to "fuse" in the SATA drivers into your XP CD so that it detects your hard drives during installation.

Check this link for a guide on how to make a slipstreamed XP CD. http://www.digitgeek.com/how-to-slip...rs-into-xp-cd/ . Just make sure to follow this guide to the letter. Alternatively, you can bing "how to slipstream sata" for more resources.

I hope this solves your problem
    A

+ Reply