+ Reply + New Job/Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: NIGERIAN ENGINEER

NIGERIAN ENGINEER

Its now time for Nigerian Engineers to take their rightful place in determining the pace and content of infrastructural development in Nigeria. With all humility, I wish to state that COREN is not living up to its counterparts like NBA, ICAN, ARCON, ETC. The last Engineering conference was a sham. Lawyers stayed 1 week in Abuja for their conference, but NIGERIAN ENGINEERS rushed out in less than 48 hours. What a shame? At a time when National challenges border on infrastructural decay, NIGERIAN ENGINEERS are in a hurry to retire to their beautiful / handsome spouses at home while the lawyers decide engineering challenges for the country. No wonder lawyers take up Engineers' position in government. ministry of Petroleum- lawyer; Ministry of Transport - lawyer. (Can an Engineer be appointed the Attorney General of the federation & Minister of Justice ) But when a building collapses, who takes the blame?
    The ENGINEER.

We need a pragmatic approach to solving Engineering challenges in Nigeria. The Engineer, by training, is the most creative, having the knowledge and capacity to create anything under the sun except living things which are the prerogatives of GOD THE CREATOR. Nigerian Engineers, like their counterparts all over the world has the capacity to conceptualize, design, build, construct, fabricate, fix, install, assemble, operate, maintain, etc. what then is the problem? How many Engineers are Governors, Senators, MPs, LG Chairmen? Even when they become one, they hire quacks to execute their projects so as to undermine standards and share loots. That is one of the problems. Ofcourse, the number one problem is the PUBLIC ENEMY NUMBER ONE- CORRUPTION. This is IN HIGH PLACES. ... for we are not fighting against flesh and blood but against principalities and powers in HIGH PLACES...

It is better to fail trying to do something<br />than to succeed doing nothing

Re: NIGERIAN ENGINEER

this was a humble contribution presented by a concern engineer

hello engineer,i see a future where there will be no young engineer to work in the so call engineering firm/company because of what the company pay as salary.virtually all the consulting engineering firms in lagos are seriouly looking for engineers.Whereas as the graduate engineer are now putting on tie and suit in the banking industry.what a shame to my profession

Guys, you have all said its all. I am an engineer and am practising my field but when it comes to some certain issues or responsibilities, i do ashame of my profession bcos there is no better and helpful foundations from engineering bodies (COREN, NSE).
    O mase ooooo(What a pity)

Law profession that does not involve practical (I mean technical skills) has law school which the graduates of the profession must attend if they should practice the profession. Likewise medicine but engineering that involves and entails life building, comfort of citizens, city building and lots does not have training school after 5years of dy/dx that has no application after school.

May Almighty God help us over this issue. In industries, engineers are the least paid workers. Can you imagin that. No Official cars for engineers but accountants and Business administrators are been offered cars and other benefits.
    O ga gan ooooooooooo.

COREN and NSE, are you hearing this?

Please, i want us to know that, the problem facing Nigeria Engineers goes beyond the registered body alone.For example, if the register body of engineering says, all company should pay certain amount of money as an entry level and there is no law backing them up.Do you think its going to work?.

Check all other registered body, you will all discover that, they have a backing of the Federals.And also, Let engineering professionals stop this issue of disciminations of HND and BSC, then you will see that the profession will definately move forward.

Am talking from what i know as regards the HND and BSC issues, look, i have a friend that is doing his Master programme in Austra, he has HND and they accepted him to further his education.Nigeria has a long and perenial problems.

I feel you prince
    I'll post an article on the HND - BSC dichotomy

The segregation of BSc and HND is killing and this is evident in all facet in Nigeria... we shd try and do away with the disparity... May God help us in this country.
    showlay

You see my fellow engineers i think it is high time we request for an engineering institute where every engineer can go and use tools,equipment, machines to create whatever he/she want without any charge but obligation to generate data for pthers to use. The engineering bodies we have are scam and useless as the officials can only use there position to help there own relatives without considering if they are qualified. For my case only the labanese believed my expertise to work while the Nigerian companies do not see any good in we fresh gradute. As for HND/BSC i think in secondary school it should be taught that the curriculum to become an engineer is tailored for BSC while Technologist is for HND which simply means you must know where you are going before you embark on the journey.
    To remain relevant always read which is what lawyers do cheers

Hello house, We have one major problem facing Nigerian Engineering graduates and the problem is not beign capable to defend one's profession Practically.We can only improve on this by the graduate engineers going to the local artisans,mechanics,electricians etc to perfect on their fields practically and improve on it.
    With this the young engineer might not go in for job haunting again

MY HEART BLEEDS FOR NIGERIAN ENGINEERS & THE COUNTRY AT LARGE. QUACKS AND PROFESSIONALS FROM OTHER FIELDS HAVE TAKEN OUR PLACE. NO ENGINEER HAS EVER HEADED THE POWER MINISTRY IN THIS COUNTRY.
    BOLA IGE
    DANJUMA GOJE
    OLUSEGUN AGAGU
    LIYEL IMOKE
    FATIMA IBRAHIM
    ALL THESE PEOPLE ARE POLITICIANS THREE OF WHICH ARE CURRENT GOVERNORS IN THEIR RESPECTIVE STATES. THEY PILOTED THE AFFAIRS OF THE POWER MINISTRY & FINALLY LANDED US IN THE MESS WE ARE IN TODAY. ITS A PITY.
    IT PAINS ME ALOT THAT AM NOT PRACTICING. WE NEED A CHANGE

We young Engineer's, if we're determined in our mind, and stand up to our day to day obligations. As far as Engineering Profession is concern we all can make a whole lots of difference in Nigerian industrial world, i personally i am determined to give it all it takes to meet up with quality standards in whatsoever i do. Engineering simply mean "Problem Solving" due to our problem solving abilities as an Engineer, Nigerian Banking Industry is flooded with young dynamic and energetic engineers, pouring out all their strenght in Banking Sector while our core proffession which we all suffered for in the Universities is dieing, let us all rise up to undertake this task, i vow not to apply to Banking Industry come what may until i see change turned to possibilities in Engineering instustrial set up. Let us make the "LOCAL CONTENT WORK"

much i sympathize with the Nigerian engineering sector,i must enjoin all u enterprising young talents to use forums like this to promote and foster constructive change.It may seem like an uphill task but certainly someday things would shape up for the better.
    Even in my Msc Engineering course here in Scotland,i can see that a lot of talented Nigerians if given the chance would change the system.

our theoritical skills in school should be backed up with practicals in the industry.but wat do we have.engineers gritting their teeth counting peoples money in banks and yet still smiling.its suferring and smilling like fela said.

fed govt has taken the right step by instituting the local content policy but while the oil majors were shivering during obj time with yaradua the policy is fast loosing steam.

NNPC should be more alive to its responsibility and oversight functions in this regard.i hope the current restructuring will help in this regard!

+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast