+ Reply + New Job/Topic

Topic: The Job Interview: A Quick Guide to Basic Principles and Strategy

The Job Interview: A Quick Guide to Basic Principles and Strategy

The objective of job interview is for the employer to evaluate and assess the job seeker to determine whether his is suitable for the job. The employer uses the interview to verify the claims the job hunter made in his Resume/CV and / or other communications made earlier. The other side is for the candidate to evaluate whether the employer meets his own specifications.

• There are three important keys to success at job interview
    o Preparation
    o Adequate Preparation
    o Thorough Preparation
    • Preparation tips for you:
    o Gather all information and document you may need for the
    o Research the job, the company and the industry
    o Rehearse and practice. Acquire and/or formulate possible questions, prepare answers (better in writing) before the interview date.
    • Keep these at the back of your mind:
    1. Observe the 50: 50 rule. The rule says that you share the talking time with the employer equally.
    2. Observe the 20 sec – 2 min rule. This rule says that your response to any question should last between 20 seconds and 2 mins, and not longer.
    3. Be seeing as part of the solution not a contributor to his many problems
    4. Employers think the way you conduct you job search is the way you do your work
    5. Go with evidence, if you can.
    6. Determine not to ‘bad – mouth’ your previous employer or boss.
    7. Employers are scared too
    8. You must not put off employer by failure or indiscretion in the areas of appearance and etiquettes.

• Non – verbal communication is vital if not more important that verbal communications.
    o manage your points of contact – your eyes and hands. Maintain eye contact with your interviewer(s).
    o understand and manage body language. You send signals with your body, and receive non-verbal feedback from the interviewer(s) on your own part,

• At the end of the interview If you want the job, say so: ask for the job, directly.

• When you get home Evaluate the interview. What went well? How can you improve?
    This is summary of the article. You can read the full article at
    - be the best candidate for the job!

Re: The Job Interview: A Quick Guide to Basic Principles and Strategy

oluoye thanks for that piece,i appreciate

what do you mean by 'go with evidence,if you can'.what kind of evidence?

secondary,how can you say so bluntly that you want the job to the interviewer don't you think you are sending a wrong impression to them(the interviewer's) especially executive trainee job.

engee24,

Evidence includes testimonials, letter of commendations, awards, prizes, etc. If you are into visual arts or designing or things kile that,previous works, demos, etc is will serve the same purpose

Yes, ask for the job directly.
    Look at this scenario: a brother of yours engaged you in a chit-chat, and along the line started complaining about his hand set, how much trouble he has had with the thing. Another brother came complaining about the cost of good hand sets and how he had wasted money buying cheap but unreliable ones. Then another one came shortly after and said."Bro, can you please give me that you former hand set that you no more use. Iam having problems with my hand set, and I am not in a position to buy one myself right now" It is apparent that they all had the same objective. Who, in your opinion stands a better chance of getting an hand set?

In sales, it is not enough to present the good features and the attendant benefitsof your products to your prospect. You must ask him/her to buy. Often, failure to make sales comes from failure to ask for the sale!
    Job interview, in my opinion is the mother of sales. You must convince the employer to buy-in into your view that you are indeed the best man for the job!
    How do you do this? Ask for the job and state the reasons why you think you are the best for the job- your education, experience,knowledge, accomplishments, personal qualities, unique abilities,etc vis -a-vis the requirements for the position.
    - be the best candidate for the job!

thank you very much.
    I am a slow walker but I never walk backwards.

+ Reply