+ Reply + New Job/Topic

Topic: Graduate Standardization Examination Success Tips

Graduate Standardization Examination Success Tips

Hello House, I have been reading with keen interest the discussions on Flour Mills GSE test conducted two weeks ago. I must say that I feel the pains of those that performed below expectations in the test. However, the GSE is not as difficult as many people think. All that is needed to ensure success in the examination is adequate preparation. Let me start by giving you the test format. It comprises 3 sections in this particular order:

Verbal reasoning
    Quantitative reasoning
    Critical reasoning

The verbal reasoning part consists of 5 short passages. Each passage has 4 questions based on its contents. This part lasts for 17 minutes.

The quantitative reasoning part is similar in structure to the verbal part. It comprises 5 bar chart / pie chart / line graph / table. Each has 4 questions based on its contents. This part lasts for 17 minutes too.

The critical reasoning section lasts for 15 minutes and consists of 16 questions. Sample questions can be found on the GSE website.

Now to the tips- I have classified these into 2 categories namely: pre-test and during test tips

Pre-Test Tips

1. Prepare for the exam using computer-based materials i.e. COMPUTER ADAPTIVE PRACTICE TESTS. This is very important. Paper-based practice questions are not that effective. These materials could be software on CDs that can either play on the CD or installed as a program. I would recommend Arco Master the GMAT CD by Thomson Peterson. It comes with the textbook.

2. Polish up rusty math skills with suitable GMAT texts. This is because the quantitative reasoning questions are just secondary school mathematics/statistics!

3. Go to the examination hall with a calculator and a sheet of paper for they are useful for the quantitative section.
    4. After all these, believe in yourself that you will pass well.

During-Test Tips

1. Don’t get stuck on a question. If you have no idea of the answer, leave it blank and move on to the next question by clicking on Next tab. You can’t afford to spend too much time on any problem. Remember you can always go back to the skipped questions provided your time is not up.
    2. Guesswork is not advisable. DO NOT ANSWER QUESTIONS YOU DO NOT KNOW AS THERE IS NEGATIVE MARKING. THE SCORING IS SUCH THAT THE NUMBER OF QUESTIONS ANSWERED INCORRECTLY IS SUBTRACTED FROM THE NUMBER OF QUESTIONS CORRECTLY ANSWERED. The result is divided by the total number of questions in the particular section and then expressed as a percentage. The average of the percentage scores obtained in the 3 sections is the overall score.
    3. Remain calm, cool and composed all through the duration of the test. Never panic.

FINALLY, I WISH TO STATE THAT I APPLIED THE PRINCIPLES ABOVE FOR THE FLOUR MILLS TEST HELD AT CHAMS CITY, LAGOS AND THEY WORKED FOR ME. I GOT 60% OVERALL (MY FIRST ATTEMPT AT GSE). THEY CAN WORK FOR YOU TOO.

Re: Graduate Standardization Examination Success Tips

i have called for a test by gse tomorrow,how can i get to venue the chams city at ikeja from surulere?

Good day. Thanks 4 this

Those preparing for dragnet NBC test shld read this

@T.genius after hw many weeks did u see ur*result after d test and hv u been called my FMN

@T.genius; hw sure ar U?? dat their is negative marking, cos if U?? go tru dragnet FAQ U?? will c dat it was written their dat their is no negative marking

pls hw do i no wat i had in my flourmils test.

pls hw do i no d result of ny flourmills test

+ Reply