I am currently reviewing applications. I was compelled to compile a list of helpful tips on how to apply for a job based on the type of job application responses I received.

1. Email etiquette is very important:

Do use:
Dear Sir/Ma/Ms. for all email correspondence even after you are offered the job; and
Regards, Sincerely, Faithfully.

Do not use:
Hi, (if you must use Hello follow with Sir/Ma/Ms.); and
Thanks, (Thank you, will suffice and it is a more appropriate word.)

Do not assume that the hiring personnel is a man, it is proper to use “Sir/Ma/Ms.” Or “To whom it may concern” or any respectful general term.

2. Follow the instructions stated in the job posting:

Do:
Turn in all paper work with your application if requested; and
Apply to the appropriate department if specifically instructed.

Do not:

Turn in parts of your paper work. It is better to wait till you have all your paper work/documents ready prior to you turning in your application.

3. Show interest in the company that you are applying for:

Do:
Ask about the company and what the job entails;

Use a cover letter either in your email to the company or attached to your resume. The cover letter should be tailored to the company that you are applying to. For example,
“Dear Sir/Ma/Ms.,
This letter is in response to the job posting/advertisement for a Senior Sales Executive…………”

Do not:
Attach your resume without a message and a subject in the subject box of your email to the company;

It is not as apparent if an applicant applying to several job postings tailors the correspondence to the specific company.

4. Subject line and all correspondence should state the accurate Job title.

Do not create your own job title; for example, if the job posting reads Senior Sales Executive then all subject line and correspondence should refer to the exact job title. It should not read “Senior Account Executive, Sales Accountant, Accountant or any variation.”

5. Proof read, more importantly graduates do proof read your correspondence.

Not “i.” but “I”
Capital letters should be used after a full stop/period.
Use commas when applicable.

6. Use appropriate language. Remember, you are not communicating with your friends but a prospective employer.

Do not use:
OMG,
Oops,
Yeah, yep,
Uhmm

7. Use simple English

Do use:
Simple English with well structured and efficient sentences;
If you must use “big grammar”, do use them correctly. You still can communicate effectively when simple English is used.

Commonly misused words:

“At a point”: Not “At a Point in time”
“For all intents and purposes”: Not “intensive purposes”
“Regardless”: Not “irregardless”- This is not a word.

8. First impression does matter:
Keep in mind your job interview process begins when you apply for the job not at the time of the actual interview.

Feel free to comment or share your own experience(s). However, constructive statements are preferred.