So you you want to work abroad? Its tempting isn't it? But it's not for everyone.

This article reflects my own experience working in Europe and highlights some of the benefits and some of the pitfalls. I hope this can be of use to you.

First Step

Decide where you want to go. It is after all, best to have an idea than to go of with no-one knowing where you are going! Be sensible!

Have a look at the Working Abroad Links Section for more useful resources/

How to choose where to go to work?

Try and limit your potential location by considering the following points:

Do you know anyone who lives abroad? This can be a major advantage to you when making contacts, finding accommodation and looking for work.

Do you want to travel around a bit? Choosing an initial "safe" destination (where you are not too far from home or know someone or have already secured employment) so if doesn't work out you can always head back to the UK easily. It will also ease you in to a foreign culture, which will be valuable experience for further travels.

Look into the skills gaps in various destinations. Then see if your particular skills can fit into those gaps? You will find it much easier to get work that way.

What can you afford to spend? You may be lucky and have a job to go to or are able to find one quickly when you arrive. But you will still have to fork out rent and other expenses and may not be paid straight away.

Starting off working in Europe

Ok, you still cant decide where to go and you haven't secured a job anywhere.

Still, you are determined to go. Your best is to have a look online at a few travel sites and find a cheap package deal in one of the destinations you want to go to.

Try to persuade someone to come along with you for a holiday. At the very least you will have a week or fortnight's worth of accommodation and food while you look for work.

If you don't have any luck, then you go home from a holiday to do whatever you did before you left. If you find a job, then getting somewhere to stay on isn't such a burden.

Finding Work

There are plenty of jobs about, they are most likely not what you are looking for though!

For instant easy jobs that require no experience (but if you have some it will stand you in good stead) try:

Bar work

PR (handing out fliers - good for the social life!)

Sales (in a resort, on the street, telesales)

Admin work (most countries have recruitment agencies kicking about somewhere)

They're not the most pleasant jobs in the world, but you are more likely to get paid daily or weekly.

For bar work and PR work, go into the bars and clubs and speak to the manager if you can. At the very least leave your number for them to get back to you (but don't rely on them calling you and offering you a job - keep looking!).

Contacts

Its not what you know - its who you know! Cheesy, but true!

While you are working away, chat to your co-workers and your bosses. Let them know what skills you have and how they could apply to the business. I'm sure most of you do that as standard, but if you don't - try to make a point of it!

Remember to have fun as well!

These are just some thoughts I've had while working abroad.

The jobs that I have had in the Costa del Sol have largely been due to either myself or someone else mentioning on the passing that I'm a web designer. I've had four jobs out here, but only have applied for one - the others I was offered while out chatting with people.

There is a much larger emphasis out here (especially in IT and sales) on what you can do than what experience you have (which is greatly focused upon in the UK). Employers work much closer to their businesses than in the UK and initiative and creativity carry more weight.

Be assertive and go out and find a job! If you can offer a skill that is missing from a business - tell the boss how you can add to the value of his business and how he will make more money from it! More often than not he or she will think more of you for it and create a position for you.

If you don't have the experience to do something, but know you can - be honest! Tell you potential boss that! The worst that can happen is that they'll remember for the future.

Most of all - enjoy your experience working in Europe!