+ Reply + New Job/Topic

Topic: WHAT WILL IT TAKE?

WHAT WILL IT TAKE?

Hey good Nigerians, I just love the way this site is being handled. If this country were handled this way, Nigerians will not kill themselves because I stand to be corrected: Everyone in this site watches the back of the other.
    Anyway, I just wanted to ask the house if anyone has an idea of what it will cost to start a small scale poultry farm? If there are any agricultural graduate or someone with an idea about this, please your assistance will be highly appreciated.
    Thanks everyone for keeping this site alive.

Re: WHAT WILL IT TAKE?

Well am glad ur interested in poultry business but bear it in mind that its very sensitive in the sense that it needs full attention from U to obtain optimal result. chicks(day old)now sels for btw 300-500 Naira each I presume. u have to bear in mind the location of the poultry and type of poultry house, either deep litter or battery cage but deep litter is prefarable cos its cheaper to maintain. Also the Breed u want either Layers or Broilers and i think a Bag of Feed now cost close to 2000 Naira which about 20 birds will exhaust in 7 days when feed twice daily.
    also weather conditions have to be regulated in the poultry house depending on the weather in the environment u want to site the poultry as birds do not survive under hot consitions. also from time to time vaccines are required to protect birds from infections etc. well at this point i can say with 35K u can raise 20 birds in an unrented deep litter house.

All the best and please dont hesitate if u require more info

Thank u so much 4 d info but if I have to go for broilers, how long will it take b4 they can be taken to the market? I actually was making a budget for 200 chicks to start with.

it will take an average of 8 to 10 weeks for the broilers to be ready for market and i will advice that u should start with 50 birds to see how they will adapt in the environment u put them and also find out the type of diseases they are pron to as to avoid unnecessary losses cause when a bird is infect it takes less than a day for majority to get infected as well and i know very well u wulndt want a situation where u will losse over 50 birds at a go and wuldnt be sure of survival of another 50.

Start little and see u poultry grow to be as big as dat of OBJ FARMS.

+ Reply